Susan's RS Reefer 3xl 900 Fantasy-Dream Build

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right now they are in the acclimation box in the big tank. and now the big clown is chasing its smaller buddy... egged on by the outside clowns... I tossed in 2 fake freshwater plants to give the little guy a hiding space if needed. dang clowns... dang damsels.... And yeah, I did just add 3 blue damsels but they are not a pita
The blue ones have been great so far for me (and the azure). The only annoying thing is that one of them has decided to "den" so he's been digging out caves and spraying sand everywhere.

I'm wondering if the darwin is trying to reaquaint with the big orange and white. The 2 darwins and that one had once been in the 125 until the orange/white ended up in the overflow. At one time, they were paired 1 darwin with this big orange and white. I'm almost seeing wanting to maybe see each other again? Or I could be imagining it lol's. But they are about the same size now. I'm just tempted to put them all together and what happens happens.
They may be totally fine - it is a much larger tank. On the flip side, when my clownfish did start chasing the third clownfish he was easy to net because he was hiding around the wavemakers.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue ones have been great so far for me (and the azure). The only annoying thing is that one of them has decided to "den" so he's been digging out caves and spraying sand everywhere.

They may be totally fine - it is a much larger tank. On the flip side, when my clownfish did start chasing the third clownfish he was easy to net because he was hiding around the wavemakers.
I think when I get home from work tonight, I'll release them in the back corner and just see what plays out. Lights will be out and then I'll shut the room lights as well.

I was hoping to save my macro algae, but I stuck a pc of ulva near the urchin who ignored it and later saw a tiny aiptasia. So it has to go as well :face-exhaling:

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta be easier to catch than your damsels... :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
so fuuuunnnyyy and sadly, so very true hahaha<groan>hahahaha

I talked to one of the owners of the lfs who set up my tank and he sugggested leaving the clowns for a week or 2 and then trying to release them so that is what I'm going to do. Clowns are not super open swimmers, most of the time they stick to a small area of a tank, so being in the acclimation box probably won't be too bad..

going to the lfs today after work to see what I can find. Changed my fuge lighting to more normal lighting for day time as there is no macro algae in there and will zip tie some diy tank screen around the 2 in/outlets. I have an old egg crate top I used in my 125 sump to keep an oversized hermit from escaping so I am hoping that will fit.

Might be trying a copperband butterfly. Maybe 2 to get rid of the aip. And peppermint shrimps. We'll see what they have and how pricey! Might have to order some nudi's from LA. I just worry what to do when I have no more aip. Although it might be the sump will always have some now....

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be trying a copperband butterfly. Maybe 2 to get rid of the aip. And peppermint shrimps. We'll see what they have and how pricey! Might have to order some nudi's from LA. I just worry what to do when I have no more aip. Although it might be the sump will always have some now....
If the copperband doesn't eat at the store - pass on it. I've been told that getting them to eat once you bring them home (if they're not eating at the store) is next to impossible.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trip to the lfs did not net me a copperband butterfly. None were eating so I passed. I did get another diamond goby and a tiger watchman sleeper goby. We'll see if they survive. Do not have much luck with sand sifters. Also got 6 peppermints. 4 in sump and 2 in tank.

The fish I put in from the 45 are doing well. 3 blue damsels. No real fighting with the sapphire dams or yellow tail. The tailspot blenny is all over. Have not seen the yellow watchman or his pistol. Did find a burrow tonight but it might be the new diamonds..

Hope the peppermints in sump take care of the pests quickly, although I suspect I'll have to keep them in there, or at least 2-3 from here on out.

more upkeep later this week on the tank

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dancin' on the rooftop lol's. I just found Dave! After a couple months of not finding him I figured he was gone. Nope. On the backside of a rock. Silly Cuc....

Tiger watchman made his burrow under main big arch. Been squirting food down there and saw him eating, plus sifting sand in his new home. Prob. need to move my elegance as he is right behind it.

No sign of diamond goby. <sigh>. Need to make sure they are eating before I get too I guess. No sign of shrimps but I expect that. Will ck sump for those. Hoping maybe I can put some of my macro algae back in if the shrimp will deal with the problem aips

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave makes a triumphant return! We thought we'd lost Absolem as well but found him a few weeks later, up the back side of the tank behind the right return outlet (apparently there's better pickings to be had there!)

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez, just lost my post grrrr

bad news good news day

The bad: the small clown in the acclimation box died. No idea why. It's cell mate had chased it a couple times, I think stressed from the outside clowns. I put in a couple plastic fresh water tank plants for some separation. Put the big clown in the display. Some chasing. Just keep feeding and distracting. As soon as lights went out I shut office lights so everyone goes to bed.

The good: tiger sleeper out and about. Still runs for home but at least out. Moved the elegance slightly forward as it was shoving sand onto it. Will move it to where plate coral is but forward as the pistol likes to pile sand there. The elegance is looking so happy and huge

Also saw the diamond goby come out. I suspected it or the yellow watchman were under that rock. Goby saw me and dived back under. Now I can't move that rock to the back. It has a gallaxia with nice long stingers...

Got my organizer for hanna. When I get our 3d printer I can customize it a bit more. Note the nice big syringe. Love filling 3 tubes with 1 syringe!

No3 up to 4.0 Been heavy feeding. I've been trying for 5 but this should be okay as well. PO4 says .27 but I need to retest as I don't think so. Next testing before I feed for the day. Did see some of the shrimps in the sump. Still see the aiptasia...
IMG_0297.jpg
IMG_0306.jpg
IMG_0308.jpg
IMG_0310.jpg
IMG_0311.jpg
IMG_0312.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, my suspicions about my clowns might be correct. The Darwin (black and white) keeps going to the orange and white. Swimming alongside, checking on it and then going back to the other darwin and the palys they host (it hosts i know)

At one time, in the 125, the orange was paired with one of the blacks. Then the orange ended up in the overflow for about 6 mo. After I took it out, I put it in the 45 thinking it got chased into the overflow (twice it did that in the 45 with no one to chase it... so probably startled-jumped.

So I'm thinking this old relationship has been renewed. We'll see what happens with 3 clowns....
IMG_0323.jpg
IMG_0325.jpg

And low and behold I give you DAVE!!!!!! Silly Cuc!!! So much for cleaning my sandbed...
IMG_0326.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez, just lost my post grrrr

bad news good news day

The bad: the small clown in the acclimation box died. No idea why. It's cell mate had chased it a couple times, I think stressed from the outside clowns. I put in a couple plastic fresh water tank plants for some separation. Put the big clown in the display. Some chasing. Just keep feeding and distracting. As soon as lights went out I shut office lights so everyone goes to bed.

The good: tiger sleeper out and about. Still runs for home but at least out. Moved the elegance slightly forward as it was shoving sand onto it. Will move it to where plate coral is but forward as the pistol likes to pile sand there. The elegance is looking so happy and huge

Also saw the diamond goby come out. I suspected it or the yellow watchman were under that rock. Goby saw me and dived back under. Now I can't move that rock to the back. It has a gallaxia with nice long stingers...

Got my organizer for hanna. When I get our 3d printer I can customize it a bit more. Note the nice big syringe. Love filling 3 tubes with 1 syringe!

No3 up to 4.0 Been heavy feeding. I've been trying for 5 but this should be okay as well. PO4 says .27 but I need to retest as I don't think so. Next testing before I feed for the day. Did see some of the shrimps in the sump. Still see the aiptasia...
IMG_0297.jpg
IMG_0306.jpg
IMG_0308.jpg
I love the railways and the tiger ‘watchmans’. They have to be my two favourites in Valenciennea followed by the yellow head/blue cheek.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the one clownfish. Odd that they the two were fine until placed in an acclimation box. Here's hoping that the three cohabitate.

You need to get the black sea cumbers if you want the sand bed cleaned.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the railways and the tiger ‘watchmans’. They have to be my two favourites in Valenciennea followed by the yellow head/blue cheek.
I will check out the yellow head one. I love sleepers

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the one clownfish. Odd that they the two were fine until placed in an acclimation box. Here's hoping that the three cohabitate.

You need to get the black sea cumbers if you want the sand bed cleaned.
I have to find the black cucs lol's. We have some chasing going on this morning. We'll see if they can all work it out. And yeah, bummed about the little guy

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more yayness! spotted sand being shoved out from under my big plate coral. was hoping it was the pistol from the 45 gal and then hoped the yellow watchman was also there. figured at worse maybe the orig shrimp had burrowed from rock across and and under.

tonight I saw my yellow watchman out by the plate coral. He's as out and about as they come. So relieved. Had tried a few times over the years to get one of these to not just survive but to thrive.

also saw the diamond goby out for a bit. It's not totally out and about. Stays close to its burrow. Tiger sleeper goby (not sure what to call it lol's as it has many names!) is all over on the left side and middle. Spent a lot of time swimming up and down the glass. Maybe learning boundaries?

Clowns seem to be okay. Orange stays on left side down toward bottom. The dominent black hangs with it. Some chasing. Some just hanging. Other clown will also come over but not for long. Actually saw the orange chase that clown away. Dom Black goes back and forth. We shall see

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No3 up to 8 today which is a good number as long as there is no algae!!! Might ease nopox up a bit as I removed all bags of media and all my macro algae

po4 .29 A bit high

I think after another day or so I can ease up on the overfeeding.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Susan, do you find your pH (mainly) and ORP (less so) take a hit whenever you dose NOPOX?
right now I'm dosing like 2 ml a day but even at a bit more, I never noticed any unusual drops. Ph stays around 7.9 at night, maybe a tad lower and around 8.1 daytime

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back