Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
forgot a couple of other nice corals.
20230201_132741.jpg

panera rose tinius recovering color nicely and my hawk fish who keeps his eyes on me!

20230201_132756.jpg

my acans or whatever photo bombed above lol's
20230201_132814.jpg

darth maul porites. Doesn't put its tentacles out any more. used to be very hairy. Not sure why

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to edit page one and add current information so new visitors get a glimpse of the tank before the "before" stuff. Also, when I add new, I can just update here and post a link!

List of Inhabitants to be linked:
26 + the pistol shrimp
barber Goby * Pistol Shrimp
Blue Tang
Coral Beauty
Darwin Clowns - 2 meanies
Flame Hawk
Foxface
Green Mandarin
Pinstripe Wrasse
Royal Gramma
Staghorn Damsels-6 ughs
Trunctus Anthias-2
Yellow Tail Damsel-oldest fish 2017
Yellow Tang
Red Dragonet
Ruby head Dragonet
Blue-Eye Anthias

Clean Up Crew
Snails
Tuxedo Urchin
Sea Cucumber named Dave
Emerald crabs if still alive
Hermits
Corals 64+
Corals-Softies

Palys-(on their own rocks)
Green Giant
Cinnamon Giant
Mohawks on back wall
Purple People Eater (on zoa garden rock)

Zoas
Zoo Lunar
Eagle Eye
Pink Wink
Unidentified Zoa
oompa loompa

Rhodactis
Forrest Fire
Blue Rimmed
Green--oldest coral from 2017 1st tank

Misc
GPS
Ricordia

Corals-LPS

Acans
Acan Blue Lagoon
Acan-Not sure what kind
Blasto Mint
Micromusa -Red w/yellow
Micromusa -Red-has as a blasto but don't think so

Chalice
Chalice Pink Cherry Eye Circus-prob won't survive
Chalice Raja Rampage
chalice Space Invader
Cyphastrea
Cyphastrea Jingle Bells or meteor shower
Cyphastrea Chaos - Branching
Duncans
Aussie blue duncan
Duncan

Euphyllia
Frogspawn
Torch-Haunted Halloween
Torch-Lost Soul
Torch-Flowing Green

Favia
Favia OGA Joker Maze
Favia Prism
Favia Pastel

Goni's
Gonipora

Lobo
Lobo Orange Teal
Lobo

Misc
Elegance pink tip aussie
Candy Cane Neon Green
Galaxiea
Leptastrea John Deere
Lithophyllon Blue Eye Chalice

Corals-SPS

Acros
Deep Water Acro
RR Starfire
Vivid's Rainbow Delight
Tyree Pinky the Bear

Montipora
Digitata
Mystic Sunrise
Sedosa
Capricornis
Orange Cap?
Rainbow
Reverse Sunset

Pavona
Green

Stylophora
Pink Stellar ORA Stylophora
Purple Stylophora

Tenius
Green
WWC Pantera Rose

Torts
Oregon Blue
WWC Yellow Tip

Misc
Darth Maul Porites
Pocillopora--4

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing the same thing as above with dosing and additives and media. This page is dosing/supplements and testing
Dosing. Using 2 Red Sea Dosers.
Alk/CA/Mg - Switching to Nyos to see if I like. Currently using up BRS and ESV supplements
Alk-146 ml on a timer 15 times a day
CA-80 ml on a timer 15 times a day
MG-30 ml split 24 hours

Working to get alk back up as the dose line came off and I was gone.

Latest Numbers 2/1/2022
Alk 7 Target: 8.6 Hanna Tester
PO4 .07 Target: .04-.07 Hanna Tester
No3 .8 Target: 5-10 Hanna Tester
Ca 500 1/29 Target: 450 Hanna and Salifert
Mg 15001/9 Target: 1450-1500 Hanna and Salifert

Trace Elements:
Red Sea Trace Elements
I adjust based on ICP test results. Time to do again.
Iodine .5 ml
Potassium .5 ml
Iron 1 ml
Trace 1 ml

Other supplements/additives/Export
Nopox 2 ml right now as no3 is low
AB+ 30 ml each night mixed with phyto
Phyto 8-10 oz nightly I culture and harvest
Pods Also cultured and harvested
Chaeto in refugium
Chaetro grow weekly

As Needed
Neophos
Neonitrate-just ordered

Media
Rowaphos if needed
Phosguard if needed
Boyd's Blue Carbon/purigen
Matrix in sump
Siproax in sump
Ceramic Bio Spheres in sump
Denitrate in Sump
Nyos Zeo in sump
Carbon
Purigen
Lime for co2 scrubber

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feel bad about the sleeper goby - I can't keep any sand sifters alive in my tank, either (other than the cucumber kind).
Any idea why? I feed heavy, I feed pellets once a day, I have stirred the sand bed since getting one, I have pods etc.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea why? I feed heavy, I feed pellets once a day, I have stirred the sand bed since getting one, I have pods etc.
None (at least on my end). I've tried a few different gobies and jawfish, but none have survived for more than a month or so. Not sure if it has anything to do with the large number of fish I keep.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None (at least on my end). I've tried a few different gobies and jawfish, but none have survived for more than a month or so. Not sure if it has anything to do with the large number of fish I keep.
I seem to have the same issue. About a month. Or even less. I wonder if a pistol shrimp can cause issues as they do burrow. I had a new one disappear into where my goby/shrimp pair live and never show up

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG almost a month. I did not drop off the face of earth!! What I did do on the 11th was get a new baby lock embroidery machine whoop whoop whoop!!! Cost almost as much as this tank lol's. So I've been playing and making lots of cool stuff! Next secret santa might find my person getting something cool fish related <g>

So I have gotten quite relaxed on my tank! <Read maybe not good haha>

--Haven't tested since 2/16 Prob. okay as mg and ca were high and no3 and po4 low. dosing neophos and neonitrae a couple times a week. Will test tomorrow for sure.

--Haven't had time to figure out what is wrong with my trident. Says no water sample. shot water thru tube and it is not blocked. All I did was calibrate in Feb and then not working. It is so hard to unplug and plug in, I've put off dealing with it. I think I'll move it to the other side of tank and get a 3d wall shelf printed for it.

--Lost my tenius. In 3 days gone. No warning. bummed as that was my hubbys favorite and it was doing awesome

--Need to get my razor scrapper out. Got some hard spots on glass from a wee bit of neglect

--Have MAJOR aiptasia in sump. Only a few in tank. Going to remove powerheads, basket of ulva lettuce (growing on it) and chaeto. Put new basket in after I remove powerheads and anything with it growing on it. Will go to petco this weekend to get a bunch of peppermint shrimps to put in there. Thought about closing off and draining that second sump but I have copepods. And not sure if RS has plugs to just plug. Will make some mesh covers to keep shrimp in that area. Will check the main stump to see if there is aiptasia in there. If so, I wonder if shrimp would survive with skimmer?

See next post for more aiptasia horror stories...

Need to remove all media too.... Not sure how this will affect my bio load. Also some in main sump... Not as bad.

IMG_0275.jpg
IMG_0277.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am taking down the RS e170 45g due to major aiptasia. Just decided 1 sw tank is enough! All fish in main display. I thought it would be hard to get the watchman and shrimp but it was easy. No idea where they are in the tank. I released them together at one end. The 3 damsels--orange tail I think--blue with yellow tail but not a yellow tail--were harder. Got 1. couple hours later, got 2nd and hours later the 3rd! Left the clowns

Not sure what to do with the 2 clowns. Decided to put them in an acclimation box in tank. Not sure it will work. The darwin clowns are right there.... Trying to get in....

Hate to take them to fish store. The big one I've had since my first tank in 2017. I worry someone will take them and kill them thru incompetance...

was hoping an almost 80" tank would work. A pair on each side. The darwins are usually on the right third.
IMG_0278.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe they'll divvy up the tank and be fine? Would it work to move the acclimation box to the far side opposite the current clownfish? (or sis you already do that)

How'd you grow such a wonderful bumper crop of aiptasia? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe they'll divvy up the tank and be fine? Would it work to move the acclimation box to the far side opposite the current clownfish? (or sis you already do that)

How'd you grow such a wonderful bumper crop of aiptasia? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Yeah, I did that. the meanie clowns found the new guys

Guess I have an aiptasia thumb lol's. I was using aip x but it got away from me! Calling around tomorrow to see if my normal fish store has P shrimp, nudi's or file fish. Petco might have some P shrimp by sunday

scared to investigate the main sump!! hoping aip x can take care of what is in there . All media bags come out tomorrow for inspection
Ugh.....

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I did that. the meanie clowns found the new guys

Guess I have an aiptasia thumb lol's. I was using aip x but it got away from me! Calling around tomorrow to see if my normal fish store has P shrimp, nudi's or file fish. Petco might have some P shrimp by sunday

scared to investigate the main sump!! hoping aip x can take care of what is in there . All media bags come out tomorrow for inspection
Ugh.....
I did my sump cleaning 2 weeks ago (spirobid worms galore). I feel your pain...

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, for neglecting testing and no trident for a month, not too bad
no3 1.8
Po4 .09
Mg 1500 + cut down mg again
ca 435 hanna 450 salifert
9.4 alk

Did some maintenance today. 1 mp40 and 1 RS 45. Removed UV pump--cleaned. May want to move it to main sump

Removed all bags of media and macro algae. tossed them in the tank I'm taking down. Might just dump the media except rubble rock as there was aiptasia on them. My nitrates are so low, might not need. Will get maybe another thing of nyos zeo and look at some media bricks (that down break down and crumble...) to put in once things are cleaned up.

Have 3 days off next week--2 days in a row thur and fri. Will do the other mp40 and rs 45 and glass on that half. Need to turkey blast sand every few days. It's awful. will take out reactor which isn't being used and maybe see if I can get skimmer out to clean. Now that the uv pump is out, will see if I can fit it into the main sump. Either next to the skimmer if room, or where the reactor is in the front. Should also put my new helio heaters in.

big sigh. Prob. have to rehome the clowns. Although the darwin femail does go away but always comes back.

Here is the oil painting I got for secret santa. finally got it framed.
IMG_0265.jpg

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am taking down the RS e170 45g due to major aiptasia. Just decided 1 sw tank is enough! All fish in main display. I thought it would be hard to get the watchman and shrimp but it was easy. No idea where they are in the tank. I released them together at one end. The 3 damsels--orange tail I think--blue with yellow tail but not a yellow tail--were harder. Got 1. couple hours later, got 2nd and hours later the 3rd! Left the clowns

Not sure what to do with the 2 clowns. Decided to put them in an acclimation box in tank. Not sure it will work. The darwin clowns are right there.... Trying to get in....

Hate to take them to fish store. The big one I've had since my first tank in 2017. I worry someone will take them and kill them thru incompetance...

was hoping an almost 80" tank would work. A pair on each side. The darwins are usually on the right third.
IMG_0278.jpg
That sucks you had to return the clowns... I have a pair of maroons and a pair of skunks living in a 120g with no issues. The maroons hang near their nem and the skunks are hanging out wherever, lol.

I ended up pulling the trigger on sps on my cube. Hope it works as I just plunked some coin for some sps from vivid aquariums.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks you had to return the clowns... I have a pair of maroons and a pair of skunks living in a 120g with no issues. The maroons hang near their nem and the skunks are hanging out wherever, lol.

I ended up pulling the trigger on sps on my cube. Hope it works as I just plunked some coin for some sps from vivid aquariums.
right now they are in the acclimation box in the big tank. and now the big clown is chasing its smaller buddy... egged on by the outside clowns... I tossed in 2 fake freshwater plants to give the little guy a hiding space if needed. dang clowns... dang damsels.... And yeah, I did just add 3 blue damsels but they are not a pita

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm wondering if the darwin is trying to reaquaint with the big orange and white. The 2 darwins and that one had once been in the 125 until the orange/white ended up in the overflow. At one time, they were paired 1 darwin with this big orange and white. I'm almost seeing wanting to maybe see each other again? Or I could be imagining it lol's. But they are about the same size now. I'm just tempted to put them all together and what happens happens.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
probably not a good idea with the clowns...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back