symphillia

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've posted for help twice in the LPS forum but am not getting much response so I'm going to post here in case not many check out the coral threads. I really need some advice on this coral.

I've had this coral since beg. of August. It has never fleshed out. It gets a bit of flesh showing after lights out but never fully. I've also never seen feeding tentacles. I put pellets or frozen food on it and it just gets blown away.

I had it on the bottom initially, moved it up 2/3's thinking it needed more light. It looked worse, put it back down. On advice of one person, moved it under an overhang for even less light. Seemed to not do any better, maybe worse. Moved it back up a few weeks ago, not quite as high as before. Fleshes out a bit at night but just doesn't seem to be doing well no matter where I put it or for how long.

All other corals are thriving. Currently putting together pics of when I first got and now to put in my build thread. Some are doing amazingly well.
Am: 0, Nitrites: 0 Nitrates: 20ish, PO4 .1-.2 as a rule, MG usually around 1300 though a bit lower now since I started auto dosing. Trying to get it back up slowly. CA 400, Alk 8-9

Pics of when I first got it and currently. Just not sure what to do with it or if it was near dead when I got it and it's a lost cause.
Aug 2017
20170813_101621_resized-jpg.602554

This month. this is the most flesh I've see on it.Taken lights off, maybe early morning And not everyday. It is the best so far in this position. Under t5's Never fleshed out this much anywhere else. But that is it. Lights come on and recedes.
20171007_010258-jpg.602556

Pic just now taken. This what it looks like every day with lights on and even on the sand bed during day
20171026_153450-jpg.602559

Full tank shot
20171026_185212.jpg

thaitopher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've posted for help twice in the LPS forum but am not getting much response so I'm going to post here in case not many check out the coral threads. I really need some advice on this coral.

I've had this coral since beg. of August. It has never fleshed out. It gets a bit of flesh showing after lights out but never fully. I've also never seen feeding tentacles. I put pellets or frozen food on it and it just gets blown away.

I had it on the bottom initially, moved it up 2/3's thinking it needed more light. It looked worse, put it back down. On advice of one person, moved it under an overhang for even less light. Seemed to not do any better, maybe worse. Moved it back up a few weeks ago, not quite as high as before. Fleshes out a bit at night but just doesn't seem to be doing well no matter where I put it or for how long.

All other corals are thriving. Currently putting together pics of when I first got and now to put in my build thread. Some are doing amazingly well.
Am: 0, Nitrites: 0 Nitrates: 20ish, PO4 .1-.2 as a rule, MG usually around 1300 though a bit lower now since I started auto dosing. Trying to get it back up slowly. CA 400, Alk 8-9

Pics of when I first got it and currently. Just not sure what to do with it or if it was near dead when I got it and it's a lost cause.
Aug 2017
20170813_101621_resized-jpg.602554

This month. this is the most flesh I've see on it.Taken lights off, maybe early morning And not everyday. It is the best so far in this position. Under t5's Never fleshed out this much anywhere else. But that is it. Lights come on and recedes.
20171007_010258-jpg.602556

Pic just now taken. This what it looks like every day with lights on and even on the sand bed during day
20171026_153450-jpg.602559

Full tank shot
20171026_185212.jpg
In one of those pics it looks a lot like brown jelly disease. If it is, I would throw out the entire coral before it spreads to all of your other coral. It might just be the color of the flesh of the coral??? Hard to tell

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is just the flesh as it recedes with light and returns in the dark. It has always been like this since day 1

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen any fish picking at it?

High flow can also stress out the fleshy brains.

Last thing is (and could be most likely) have you had alk swings lately? I know you said you were dialing in an auto doser. Alk swings can wreak havoc on stony corals

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put in lower light and low flow area. The pellets getting blown off tells me there's too much flow on the flesh of the coral.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Labridaedicted No on fish picking at it. In fact it was in a fallow tank until a couple weeks ago. I have a scooter blenny and 2 chromis back in there now. My alk has been pretty steady between 8-9, no big swings.

I've had it down on sand bed in low light and low flow and even shaded. I'll try moving it back down again. There are a couple rocks I might be able to tuck it into. Here is what it looks like this morning. this is typical and what it has been like since I bought it in august.
20171027_094302.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I moved the coral back to the sand bed but close to a rock on other side of tank and close to 2 mushrooms on rocks. I could tell by them that the flow was pretty low. Tonight it has fleshed out the most I've ever seen and much faster. So the issue wasn't too little or too much light but flow. I'll be curious to see what it looks like in the am before light come back on.
20171028_001327.jpg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%

Back