OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I e/m synergy. asking for specific info on what the template means. There is a sticker on the template with arrows that states "top of tank" I asked did this mean the very top of the tank? seems the template would be bound up over the 1st inside lip. Their response was " where ever You want the over flow to be " sorry but that's a pretty vague answer." Top of tank" does not mean "where ever I want it." Or Am I mistaken? sorry just disappointed with the run around response.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I got the tank drained and outside on a table. I held the boxes up and can see better where to place the template.
After a 2nd query synergy stated that frames are different and You need to judge Yourself. It would be nice if they included this detail in the instructions so Folks like Steve don't have to cut the trim after it was too late.
So anyway, this weekend will be too cold to drill this tank. Only a high temp of 50!

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was ready to drill this weekend but the arctic blast put a stop to that. I'm in North Fl and it's really cold!

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following along b/c Iam about to drill and mount a ghost on my 72

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, if you want your water line above the outside trim of the tank, but also want the outter box to fit on correctly, it seems that we should measure 1 3/4" from the bottom of the inside trim to accomplish all of this? I'm about to print out a template myself. I want to order my ghost overflow from BRS to capitalize on their point system, but they are out until Thursday this week. All this info is helping me out big time!

uppermost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys just came across this thread. Here's the 16" I just installed on my DSA rimless. Let me know if you've got any questions
c5be065c3e0517b657da29862ccae274.jpg
c30d669cdbfa89901e04d0eb75a8a921.jpg
130c6fd6fc99b2ff06c4f41690dbaa6d.jpg
5984313cfe9fda5f9f76895c4ebfa3d8.jpg
1d192165e352a52eec83ca8b9e3606e0.jpg
d0e6b930469bd39644a96d3a7143739a.jpg

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Man! The pics are a big help Thanks ! Any issues with the down turned 90's ? Like the siphon starting again ? I like the box in your sump that holds the drains. I assume it always holds enough water to keep the siphon line submerged no matter. Do I have that right?

I'm mounting this on the side of the tank. It doesn't need to be hidden and I can run the drain straight down to the sump. I also see where the unions come into play. Give You ability to change/ improve.

Sorry I didn't get the pic right. I think if You left click it may open.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello John, I got my overflow from BRS also. so after several e/m's I gathered that you need to hold the outside box up to the outside of the tank. to make sure You can add the top plate. then adjust the template to fit. sounds a little confusing. Once You get the unit in hand it becomes more clear. I'm about to drill in a couple of days. Hope I don't screw it up. Good Luck!

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes total sense. May the glass drilling Gods be with you, lol

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening Gents, So today, I setup the template. I used 2 paint sticks stacked on top of each other as a spacer between the inside frame and the template and marked the holes. I "Hope" I didn't come down too far.
Also My hole saw must be wore out because I drilled for almost an hour and went thru 2 batteries. Then I ran out of light. I was so close to busting thru the glass !:(

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice stand It would be a big help keeping the drill even.
I gave up today, and ordered another hole saw. I worked this bit for another hour today the bit is shot out!
I'll have the new bit Monday Tuesday. I really wanted to play with the overflow this weekend!

Slm222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's the day I need to decide what to do:
1) Trim the bottom of the trim on the Marineland...which I hear would void the warranty :(
2) Trim the bottom of the synergy lid so the lid fits
3) Leave it alone and see how loud it is

I think trimming the tank's trim would be much easier, but I hate that "void the warranty" part. Can anybody tell me how loud the overflow is if the lid is left off? The lid will fit somewhat, but it will not totally close. I'm filling the tank up with water today and now is the last chance I will have to easily get back behind the tank without having to drain the tank.

Thanks!

Wouldn't drilling the tank void the warranty already?

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I got the new holesaw and finished the holes in no time. I have the stand level. Now I just need to con a buddy to stop by then get him to help me carry the tank.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Here is a pic, sorry the few pics I took don't tell the story.

Anyway I have the overflow mounted and on the stand. I slid the whole thing up as high as I could. I have no idea where the water line will be. That's ok this is an old 75the glass isn't even very clear . I also mounted it on the left side so I can get to the valve and run the lines straight down to the sump. Again this is an old tank not a show piece ! So it's all level now, Tank and overflow, which looks very sweet by the way! All the bulk heads are hand tight until I get a good dry fit on the plumbing. I need a couple of unions for the gate vale . The other 2 I can just unscrew the bulk heads to remove them for changes. Maybe by this week end I may have something going.
I want to add , I used a 65mm hole saw. It's a little big so I may have to use some silicone. stick with the 60 mm saw they suggest. Overall this thing is very nice so if Ya have the bucks go for it.
jon.m I have drilled several tanks in the past. The 1st time can be intimidating but not hard to do at all.

please click on the pic/big X and tell me if it opens for You Thanks!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back