synergy reef overflow placement?

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the biggest down side to this overflow box is that I have the interior box jammed up as high as possible up against the center brace, and the water line is about 1mm UNDER the trim.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feel that a threaded bulkhead will hold a seal as good as slip fittings? I;m only asking b/c I have no experience with threaded fittings...

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, no worry there. Either tape or paste on the threads. Glued slip joints are technically better but I think it's splitting hairs.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no leaks
IMG_8622.JPG

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fixed mine too:

0f4af60d2555116ccc098beb47295294.jpg
very nice!
After I flipped around my bulkheads and set the tank up in the house, I noticed a leak from the bulkhead on the partial syphon line. A buddy of mnine had a spare bulkhead at his house. So, at 10 PM a unscrewed that bulkhead and caught the water in a mason jar, used PVC cutters to cut out the portion from the top of the union and above, and replaced that plumbing in under 15 minutes w/o having to drain the tank and pull it away from the wall (YES!!!)

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a pic of my new sump. I hadn't cut the drains yet. Please click on the x and let me know if You get the pic! Thanks Now I have the sump and drains just right this overflow is very nice. worth the bucks!

uppermost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this makes me feel better. My fiance just yelled out, "y'all both probably didn't read the instructions!" (guilty) :rolleyes:
dang it John. After reading your posts I realized I glued in my bulkheads wring as well in the overflow box. It didn't leak during my test but I'm not taking any chances. I ordered new bulkheads and unions so I can fix it. It sucks because I was very meticulous and had the plumbing perfect :(!

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**** it John. After reading your posts I realized I glued in my bulkheads wring as well in the overflow box. It didn't leak during my test but I'm not taking any chances. I ordered new bulkheads and unions so I can fix it. It sucks because I was very meticulous and had the plumbing perfect :(!
likewise brother. At least it's about a 30 dollar fix for a 200 dollar box! I re-used the bulkheads. Hear me out... I used PVC cutters to cut the PVC as close to the bulkhead as possible, flipped the bulkheads so nownthere is about a half inch of PVC coming out of the bulkhead in the outside box of the overflow, I got new unions and measured how much PVC would be needed to keep my plumbing the same, then got 2 couplings to extend the half inch of PVC inside the box for my emergency and spill over drain. Make sense?

Oh, but if you already ordered new bulkheads, you're good

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening Gents, so I've had the overflow going a couple of weeks or more. Installed the new sump and cut the drains to fit. I still get a quick slurp sound every so often. I'm using a sicce 3.0 so I think I have 600 gph . If I made the full siphon a little shorter it would stop .
Also I'm not planning on putting screens on my stand pipes. I think the grate inside the tank will keep any critters out of the standpipes. What do You think?

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have anything other than food that runs down the weir. I'm thinking I might need to turn off the return pump during feed time to stop getting so much solid stuff in my sump.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Gents , It's been a while. so far the overflow has worked flawlessly. I shortened the full siphon stand pipe no more intermittent slurping sound. Good luck with Your installs ! Brian

chris31759

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the warning on flipping the bulk heads. I would have made the same mistake. After that I did read the directions more thoroughly. I am hooking mine up to a 40 gallon frag tank. Drilling went great. Now I am just waiting for the silicone to cure on my sump. I was thinking of using a Sicce 3.0 but that may be overkill. I have a 2.0 and a 3.0 laying around.

tankaholic

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have pics of the inside of black box?
What size pvc did you use on inside of black box?
I bought the 16"in box...drilled tank just finishing up the stand.
Not sure how or what to use to complete black box.

uppermost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have pics of the inside of black box?
What size pvc did you use on inside of black box?
I bought the 16"in box...drilled tank just finishing up the stand.
Not sure how or what to use to complete black box.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 1" PVC and DID NOT GLUE. 1" lomg for full siphon, 2.5" for partial siphon, and 3.5" for emergency. The emegency never has water go down it, but the partial siphon does and its dead sikent behind the couch in the living room. All I can hear is a MJ pump to my reactor.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back