T5 HELP!

johnyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,

I have 2 AI hydra LED lights over my 75 gallon. I have sps and softies and everything is doing great. But I want to add a little more wattage to the tank and add a T5 to my tank to fill in the shadows and give more wattage. Can anyone help me find a good reasonable priced T 5 setups that I can add to my tank ? I know i need a fixture and a bulb. Does anyone know which type of bulb I should by and what fixture is good? I'm thinking maybe only one strip added but a high wattage. Thanks guys!

OP
OP
johnyboy

johnyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking into the 48" Hamilton Aruba sun v2 t5 fixture. It looks like exactly what I need to add more power and eliminate the shadows. But my question is can they handle the Ati 54 watt blue plus bulbs?

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup!

OP
OP
johnyboy

johnyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so last question. What's the best combo of Ati bulbs for growth ?

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so last question. What's the best combo of Ati bulbs for growth ?
For growth- True actinic.
I would do on a 4 bulbs- aqua blue special, true actinic, coral plus and blue plus.
Two bulbs- true actinic and coral plus.

OP
OP
johnyboy

johnyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good growth off coral plus and blue plus? Or better with true actinic and blue plus?

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. I've never tried actinic because I don't like how it looks, and because i can grow sps just fine already.

Good growth off coral plus and blue plus? Or better with true actinic and blue plus?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grow mostly lps, but a few sps for traveling tank. All grow nicely under my blue plus and coral plus. I like the look better too. When I ran sps system, I had MH and blue plus.

OP
OP
johnyboy

johnyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so coral plus and blue plus it is! I have sps too. They grow well under these two bulbs? I'm adding these T5s to my hydra led specifically for my sps to grow better.

OP
OP
johnyboy

johnyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And is the Hamilton Aruba sun v2 48" a good fixture? And can it handle the 54w Ati bulbs we are talking about? It's only 159$ and that's in my price range. If not any other dual t5 fixtures that's good and cheap?

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using two of the 60" Hamilton Aruba sun V2 fixtures and they were fine. The only reason I quit using them was I upgraded to an 60" ATI Powermodule fixture. I will definitely say this, properly cooled T5's put out WAY more light than bulbs in uncooled fixtures (like the Hamilton fixture.). They also radiate quite a bit of heat not being enclosed in a fixture that efficiently cools the bulbs. Things to consider!

OP
OP
johnyboy

johnyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So any suggestions on a reasonable priced dual cooled fixture ? I'm new to t5 and I'm trying to find a good dual fixture that can support 2 48" 54 watt Ati bulbs.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be tricky to find a cooled 2 bulb fixture. It would be worth finding. Maybe someone out there has one and has some first hand experience.

Can't go wrong with an ATI fixture, but they aren't the most "reasonable" options, and the smallest T5 spread they make is 4 bulbs.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cool mine with a fan blowing across the T5s. Mainly because mine are all retrofit. I am using the Hamilton Aruba fixture in the 24" and 36". So far so good. Over a year. Like I said though, I do cool them with fan.

Brian Treadwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run , 1 blue + , 1 coral + , 1 true actinic , and 1 purple + and love the color have not had that combo long enough to talk about growth.

OP
OP
johnyboy

johnyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm adding them to 2 hydra leds so I'm limited with space I can only use a dual fixture. The Hamilton Aruba sun V2 is the fixture I'm looking at. So is this thread telling me that it's not good? It says it has a cooling ballast built in so why the fan?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm adding them to 2 hydra leds so I'm limited with space I can only use a dual fixture. The Hamilton Aruba sun V2 is the fixture I'm looking at. So is this thread telling me that it's not good? It says it has a cooling ballast built in so why the fan?
Oh, I have one of these and one just retrofit kit without a cooling ballast. That is why the fan. On my other tank it is under the t5s to help with heat.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 37 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.7%
Back