T5 or MH ??

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 14k bulb and geismann atinics as supplement lighting and it looked fantastic. Gives the corals an extra pop and create a dawn and dusk period, instead of just shocking them with the mh alone. I agree the 14k gave me great growth but the t5 set up I have now is better imo and the growth isn't too far behind. Heat and energy were the main issues with the mh. If it wasn't for that I would go back to my mh, t5 combo.

gweston

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically the planned schedule. I haven't worked out the actual times yet.

night-moonlight blue LEDs
dawn- T5's
day - halides +T5's(I may or may not leave the T5's on.. we'll see how it looks)
dusk -T5's.

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another concern with T5s is how do SPS react when moved from a T5 tank to a MH tank. I have seen some problems when you grow Zoas in a T5 frag tank and then move them to a MH tank. Is this my imagination or is there an issue there?

I have heard this also, but IMO all you can do is start them off low in the tank and slowly move them up.

Alattner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about doing a mh/t5 fixture then start them low in the tank and move them up. i might be buying a setup like that for my 90

OP
OP
seaweed88

seaweed88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to leave the t5s over the 75. I am going to add 2 more for a total of 6 over the 75 and call it a day.
I have 2 250 watt MH that I am going to place over the 100 gallon stock tank.
How high over the stock tank should I place the bulbs? I am going to be buying trans shipped corals in the 100 I am going to start with SPS and hoping to acclamaite them and color them up.
Any thoughts?

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally i would love to have a combo of both - T5's as actinic sunset and sunrise - Halide only a few hours! I have 150w halide with LEDs right now and i enjoy it. But i love the look T5's can create with deep blues.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 74 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back