Taking my fuge offline - optional filtration?

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fuge light finally crapped out, and I’m tired of how messy my fuge is. Going to pull the chaeto and looking for some recommendations on what to replace it with.

Thinking GFO reactor?

Any other options to explore?

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My fuge light finally crapped out, and I’m tired of how messy my fuge is. Going to pull the chaeto and looking for some recommendations on what to replace it with.

Thinking GFO reactor?

Algae scrubber!

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank and how much do you feed? Helps with pointing you toward one that might work.
75 gallon display. Mixed reef. Feed heavily. Current fuge is wall to wall densely packed chaeto in a 14”x14”x9” section of my sump, about 10 gallons or so in the fuge part.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y’all might be onto something. DIY or buy one? Would need an in sump and not too keen on $300+…

I found an IceCap Pro Small waterfall type ATS here used, paid $165 shipped and I'm very happy with it so far. Great fit for my 11"x 7" footprint of available space in my sump.

saltcreep74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thinking GFO reactor?

Get this...https://www.santa-monica.cc/HOG2-Hang-On-Glass-UAS-Upflow-Algae-Scrubber-with-Green-Grabber-surface--2-cubes-feeding-per-day_p_49.html

Keep the benifts of a fuge without the mess...

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found an IceCap Pro Small waterfall type ATS here used, paid $165 shipped and I'm very happy with it so far. Great fit for my 11"x 7" footprint of available space in my sump.
What size system is it running on? Keep things under control?

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get this...https://www.santa-monica.cc/HOG2-Hang-On-Glass-UAS-Upflow-Algae-Scrubber-with-Green-Grabber-surface--2-cubes-feeding-per-day_p_49.html

Keep the benifts of a fuge without the mess...
I have a HOG on my smaller SPS system. Not having tremendous luck with it just yet. I’m also having nutrient/nuisance algae problems at the time, so maybe it will break in when things level out.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size system is it running on? Keep things under control?

It's just starting to break in with a nice coating of algae, so idk what the long term will be yet. But my nitrates and phosphates are high, so I'm expecting to see a good result.

60g, 7.5g, plus a 25g or so sump.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y’all might be onto something. DIY or buy one? Would need an in sump and not too keen on $300+…
I had a refugium but turf algae was kicking the chaeto's butt so I turned the refugium into a makeshift algae turf scrubber. Pictures of my setup are in my build thread. In summary it consists of a refugium light, two mesh pond baskets, and half a dozen or so plastic pot scrubbers which are placed into the pond baskets. This grows turf algae well and is easy to pull out the growth every week or two. I think the setup would also work fine without the pot scrubbers since the algae really likes to grow on the surface of the mesh pond basket.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back