Tang fight club

ramasezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.. I had introduced an orange shoulder and a vlamingi tang of the same size into the DT together.. they were acclimated together in my QT. This was a couple of months ago. I already had a regal tang in my DT but that's half the size of the new ones... I had done this on purpose to try and quell any domination struggles that's bound to happen... I've seen some sparring bouts amongst all three but nothing serious.. today morning I see something wrong with the orange shoulder... who incidentally was the most aggressive of the trio... Pls advice me after seeing the video... and let me know should you need any additional info.. the tank is a 220 gallon DT with an 80 G sump...

OP
OP
ramasezz

ramasezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not able to upload the video.. will keep trying...

GurpM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an orange shoulder and a biasing with a powder blue in my 150 one thing I have realized is the orange bruises easily, it may not be the other fish but
self inflicted on accident by the orange

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try the old "tape a mirror to the side of the tank" trick.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't call them "battle tangs" for nothing. :p I agree with trying the mirror trick unless @4FordFamily has a better suggestion.

OP
OP
ramasezz

ramasezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just a very short video. File size restrictions... it appears to me like it's left side near the pectoral fin area is paralysed.

OP
OP
ramasezz

ramasezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMAG2301.jpg
IMAG2300.jpg
IMAG2299.jpg
Screenshot_20170210-004817.png

OP
OP
ramasezz

ramasezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And some photos of that'll also help to see what's wrong with it and what are my options.. if I need to QT, what do I need to treat it with, if anything? Or allow it to recover in the DT? I've also substantially reduced the water movement in the DT in the hope that it'll be less taxing on the fish.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would at least put him in a QT or down in your sump to give him a chance to recover. A hurt fish is like blood in the water to healthy fish.

He may need a Methylene Blue bath or even antibiotic treatment before it's all over.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would at least put him in a QT or down in your sump to give him a chance to recover. A hurt fish is like blood in the water to healthy fish.

He may need a Methylene Blue bath or even antibiotic treatment before it's all over.
You made me shiver to read blood in the water. Remembering the movie Jaws.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the video it does appear that the fish has an ailment of some sort. Also I don't know if it's the video but I see white specs that look like ich as well, but definitely put this fish in the sump and hope for the best. I don't see any definitive damage from a tangle, typically tangs impale each other and it's just a nasty looking wound and if you don't allow it to get infected they heal up fine.

I'm not quite sure what happened but it could also be something neurological or if the tank has bad ich or velvet it could have damaged the gills to the extent that the fish doesn't get enough oxygen to the brain.

Are they swimming in to powerheads at all? Hiding from light, etc?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ramasezz

ramasezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no ich or velvet.. none of the fish are even remotely unwell.. the white discoloration you see are more like splotches on the tang and it's only on him after the brawl.. he's eating and swimming as well as he can in the current circumstances.. I'll put him in the QT... I have seachem paraguard that I can use to give him a bath and some metro and focus to mix in his food... hope this will help. Tks again.. will update the progress and try and remove some more videos with lesser resolution so that I am allowed to upload it.

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic. Really nice tank. All you see are SPS tanks these days, made me reminisce my older tanks which had so much swaying movement to them!

OP
OP
ramasezz

ramasezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to post 2 videos.. one is of the tang that's tangled up (poor pun) and the second is where I've tried to get a grab of the other citizens of the tank..

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back