Tang with ICH

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looks like ich but maybe not. It’s been on the tang for 2 weeks I thought velvet kills in days
If your fish is covered it’s velvet.

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know you say catching isn't an option because of the rocks but some people catch in difficult tanks by lowering the water level way down as to trap the fish in shallow water to get them. Your sig says 120g. Two $30 44gal Brutes would probably be enough to help you catch them. That's gotta be cheaper than letting some/many of the fish die off to ich...

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you say catching isn't an option because of the rocks but some people catch in difficult tanks by lowering the water level way down as to trap the fish in shallow water to get them. Your sig says 120g. Two $30 44gal Brutes would probably be enough to help you catch them. That's gotta be cheaper than letting some/many of the fish die off to ich...

Good idea

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an idea i dont know if would work but bear with me if you had a uv filter returning to your sump that is uv treated and thus returned to uv treated water return resevor to your dt doesnt have to be large and that water that know has been thoroughly disinfected heard about uv not being effective on ich due to short exsposure so if the exsposure was extended by a system like this i cant see why it wouldnt work any thoughts or opinions to this idea

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an idea i dont know if would work but bear with me if you had a uv filter returning to your sump that is uv treated and thus returned to uv treated water return resevor to your dt doesnt have to be large and that water that know has been thoroughly disinfected heard about uv not being effective on ich due to short exsposure so if the exsposure was extended by a system like this i cant see why it wouldnt work any thoughts or opinions to this idea
I don't follow what you mean but if sized properly, as I already stated, and low flow is used accordingly it will kill parasites that flow through it. It has to be large enough and slow enough.

To the OP, if you aren't trying proven methods you will lose most of your fish, probably not all maybe a few will survive and build resistance. At this point you are not reducing number numbers to manageable levels they are just multiplying. Either take out the fish or reduce the numbers.

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just meant due to needing lengthy exsposure to kill free floating ich would it be a good idea to do a cycling system with multiple uv zones before the filtered water is returned into the display tank

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this Ich???

I lost 3 fish over the past few days. It started when I started using Dr.Gs parasite food

875CA729-169C-4649-95ED-5A4BBE55E8F1.png

768334A9-8760-491B-A612-861C949BCC50.png

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok,

The Ich epidemic took 6 fish from me. My 4 fish left over. 2 fire fish, 1 yellow tang and 1 Carpenter fairy wrasse . Have survived.

I also just added a 36w UV

For the past 2 weeks i have seen no sign of Ich. I also just now stopped treating with Dr G antibiotic food .

I cannot catch the fish so how long until I can add new fish ? How long should I wait to see if Ich comes back ?

Thanks

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok,

The Ich epidemic took 6 fish from me. My 4 fish left over. 2 fire fish, 1 yellow tang and 1 Carpenter fairy wrasse . Have survived.

I also just added a 36w UV

For the past 2 weeks i have seen no sign of Ich. I also just now stopped treating with Dr G antibiotic food .

I cannot catch the fish so how long until I can add new fish ? How long should I wait to see if Ich comes back ?

Thanks

Ich will more than likely show up again. The UV just helps them deal with lower numbers. I like to keep it running at night

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich will more than likely show up again. The UV just helps them deal with lower numbers. I like to keep it running at night

Ok, I’ll run it 24/7 for a bit. Good idea

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 154 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back