Tank advice needed

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so let me explain the whole situation of what I want to do with the reefing hobby. So let's start this back to when I was really little (2years old to about 7years old) my parents and I (well kinda me lol) had a freshwater tank that was 55gallons. Fast forward to now. I'm 13 (almost 14) and about 2 months ago I picked up a 10g cheap petsmart tank with the filter heater hood and cheap led lights. I am planning to get a 2nd tank as a mixed reef anywhere from this summer till January next year. This will only be able to be ran for a little less than 4 years as I will have to go to college for 4-6years. I have been saving a lot and I would like to spend up to about $2500 on everything. I would like to keep a hippo tang and yellow tang once the tank is mature enough. I plan on adding a flame angel and clownfish also . what would be the cheapest tank setup or building my own as I can. And I would prefer to have a controller such as an apex. I am really good with woodworking and tool working and technology so building the stand drilling a tank won't be a problem along with any coding or anything I would have to do to setup a controller. Also I can't keep any larger than a 4ft tank. Thanks everyone and remember that this tank will only be for 4years. By the time I could add the tangs it will probably be near 2.5 years left into owning the tank.

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be the one to have to tell you but if not me someone else will. A 4ft. tank isn't big enough for tangs except for maybe Bristletooth tangs like Tomini or Kole. I think the best thing you can do is join your local reef club if you have one near you. The people will be more than happy to help out a kid just getting started and you won't need to spend anywhere near $2500 (great job saving BTW).

OP
OP
brett_schn

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be the one to have to tell you but if not me someone else will. A 4ft. tank isn't big enough for tangs except for maybe Bristletooth tangs like Tomini or Kole. I think the best thing you can do is join your local reef club if you have one near you. The people will be more than happy to help out a kid just getting started and you won't need to spend anywhere near $2500 (great job saving BTW).

I heard that 3ft is fine for some smaller tangs. I plan on getting them small. I haven't got all the money yet but I have graduation and my bday then I can get a job. And I have been researching since I was 8 on saltwater tanks lol. The reason I will be spending more is because after college I can still use the tank the controller the stand the sump the rodi machine etc. and the $2500 will be the long term. This summer I would probably spend $1000 on essentials.

OP
OP
brett_schn

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's an option. After awhile I could add a different lighting setup and stuff such as controller but it could be a good start to a larger tank and frag tank. https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/for/6089373199.html it comes with an rodi machine a top of the line trigger system sump. 2 mp10s the rock and stuff. A chiller and a frag tank with a ai hydra. I could do a hippo tang for a year and then sell back to lfs. All for just $1200. I would of course sell off all the live stock and stuff. bleach the rocks and start over.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(I'm 16 btw) if I was in your shoes, I'd get a ~75g and stay away from the hippo tang. A controller isn't essential right off the bat, and if your planning on decommissioning the tank while your at college, I'd hold off on buying the co trolled until after you're done. This will also help you stay within your price range. Just for reference, I've spent ~$2500 on my fully stocked 30g mixed reef.
ac2d3788c08fbdf42d9b3e155baa2295.jpg

The 'essentials' I would purchase initially are: the tank (obviously), light, heater, sump around 40% of the DT's size, adequate skimmer, LR and live sand, and whatever other filtration you prefer.

Purchasing a used tank and stand can help cut costs significantly but be extremely cautious when purchasing from anyone you don't know. Check all seals and ask to fill the tank before buying if it's sitting empty.

For the livestock, don't get anything that will outgrow the tank. There really is no reason to purchase a fish that you have the full intention of giving back to your LFS in a year.

sebastiaan1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great way to approach this hobby!
I like the fact that you did you research well before any purchase is made. Even though the idea of a hippotang is not such a good one, you gave it plenty of thought and I trust you will make the right decision.

A controller is not really necessary, although I still feel it was one of the best purchases I made on the tank. Second hand tank is not a big issue, check the seals or redo them when in doubt.

OP
OP
brett_schn

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great way to approach this hobby!
I like the fact that you did you research well before any purchase is made. Even though the idea of a hippotang is not such a good one, you gave it plenty of thought and I trust you will make the right decision.

A controller is not really necessary, although I still feel it was one of the best purchases I made on the tank. Second hand tank is not a big issue, check the seals or redo them when in doubt.

Yeah. I also forgot to mention that my friend (who I just got into the hobby. I convinced his parents when they saw my baby clownfish) and I plan on fragging and selling corals.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had no idea some of you local guys are young! I'm thrilled!!! My son is 9 and he would love to meet some young reefers. Very cool!

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are talking about a decent size tank. Always consider one thing. Width, there is a huge difference between a 40B and a 40g. A 40B gives you more room for cleaning, put live rock in, and also space for the fish to swim around. Petco has their $1 a gallon deal. I have seen the 75g for $75 one time. Get yourself a great stand or make one. Last thing you want to do is bump something that wobbles and weighs 400+ lbs.
As said already. The tang needs room. Also to be honest I see so many people have issue with them more than any other fish with diseases. Angels being a close runner up. Consider your bio load. The import and export of phosphates and nitrogen before it becomes a headache. Consider costs of a test kits, salt, and filter replacements.
The way I have always seen fish selection is like this. You have your 120g+ fish. You have your 10-55g fish. There is no real happy medium fish between 56-119g that are really compatible.
Get a nice stand and a 40B. Select 6 really nice fish. Find some great corals. This will stop you from making unrealistic purchases. The more gallon tank becomes now the more salt used, more water needing to be filtered thus requirements of more filter use/change, more live rock, more sand, and sump or refugium, more watts/price from a heater, bigger protein skimmer, etc..
You have done an amazing job of trying to get all the pieces of the puzzle together with a plan. Keep it up and keep us posted!

OP
OP
brett_schn

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are talking about a decent size tank. Always consider one thing. Width, there is a huge difference between a 40B and a 40g. A 40B gives you more room for cleaning, put live rock in, and also space for the fish to swim around. Petco has their $1 a gallon deal. I have seen the 75g for $75 one time. Get yourself a great stand or make one. Last thing you want to do is bump something that wobbles and weighs 400+ lbs.
As said already. The tang needs room. Also to be honest I see so many people have issue with them more than any other fish with diseases. Angels being a close runner up. Consider your bio load. The import and export of phosphates and nitrogen before it becomes a headache. Consider costs of a test kits, salt, and filter replacements.
The way I have always seen fish selection is like this. You have your 120g+ fish. You have your 10-55g fish. There is no real happy medium fish between 56-119g that are really compatible.
Get a nice stand and a 40B. Select 6 really nice fish. Find some great corals. This will stop you from making unrealistic purchases. The more gallon tank becomes now the more salt used, more water needing to be filtered thus requirements of more filter use/change, more live rock, more sand, and sump or refugium, more watts/price from a heater, bigger protein skimmer, etc..
You have done an amazing job of trying to get all the pieces of the puzzle together with a plan. Keep it up and keep us posted!

I looked at a 40b setup. I also will qt every single fish that goes into my tank with copper. I already lost one clownfish in my 10g fromand the lfs took back the other two fish(clown and fire fish) so they can treat it. I get them back after 4weeks qt at the lfs and 4weeks of no fish in my tank.

OP
OP
brett_schn

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also what light and filter setup do you have on your tank. And do you know when the next $ per gallon sale is.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what light and filter setup do you have on your tank. And do you know when the next $ per gallon sale is.
Checkout 40B Knasty on YouTube. Fluvial C4 & 50, Reef Octopus BH1000, JBJ Trinity 4x39w T5, Glass top, 42lbs of LR, 40lbs black Hawaiian live sand, 10lbs aragonite to balance pH.
In the Fluval C4 a block of Marine Pure, bag of Purigen, sponge. Fluval 50 filter floss(hyper allergenic pillow stuffing) Cnodes. Jabeo SW-4 and 460gph power head. Only thing I would want different is a BH2000.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think I'm going to get the 57gallon with 10g frag tank one off of Craigslist. I'll email him soon
Perfect size tank. Not to high where you have to much light to have good PAR at the bottom and 18" of width like the 40B. This is what 18" wide and 42lbs of LR looks like your height for the extra 15 lbs will give you that extra room for stacking

IMG_20170510_190059.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back