Tank birthday, 47+ years

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your big summer project sounds really cool. Is this going to be a piece of art or have some function (like a light, turns the hose on, or is a giant sprinkler)?

I know people will pay for high quality steampunk pieces (my father has spent over a grand on steampunk junk!), so you might want to consider that. Or you could send some pieces to all your R2R fans! ;) You could sell locally I'm sure, and online ebay or etsy are good places if you take that route.

Your LED fixture really does look like a steampunk piece. I love the fact that it is cooled by recycling water. I think it would be super cool and popular if someone built a steampunk style reef tank (well at least the stand, lighting, and how the lighting hangs). Maybe build a steampunk RODI filter or station, so those pressure gauges actually measure something

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GeteReef, If I build my "nuclear reactor" steam punk "art work" for my yard it will have no purpose other than evoke interest.
I could build a steampunk reef tank which would be rather cool but I don't have the room for it. It would look like the inside of the Nautilis Submarine from 20,000 Leagues beneath the Sea.
Today I was offered $400.00 three times for my steampunk lamp but I would never sell it for that. It cost me about $100.00 to build and it takes more time than it looks like it should. I think it would sell for about $900.00 but I didn't make it to sell, just for fun. (Ask your Father how much it is worth, if he is alive of course) If I build another one, I may sell it. If I had to make a living selling steampunk lamps I would have to resort to eating my fish but I do love to build stuff.

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked under my tank and see that I have to add two more leg supports as two legs are badly rusted. It will have to wait a while because of the shoulder surgery.
(another thread on here make me look at the thing)

This material I used to construct this stand about 40 years ago is called "Kindorf". It is a structural support we use for virtually everything in construction indoors and out. It can also be used to support street signs so it is very corrosion resistant and galvanized. For anyone using regular iron or painted steel, get ready for the rust as steel has no sense of humor around salt water. It started rusting after about 15 years.

I would have thought the junction box cover would have rusted first??

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is still connected to my arm and getting much better. In 2 weeks they tell me I can almost raise a Supermodel above my head but so far I can't do that and can just about raise my arm without holding a Supermodel but I don't know why I would want to do that unless I was waving at a Supermodel and she was ignoring me as they all would.
I go to therapy and will be as good as new in 3 1/2 months. :D

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I am cured enough that I think I can clean my algae scrubber. I can just about raise my left arm high enough to dis connect the thing and take it off.. It is really clogged and needs attention because if I don't do it soon,it will start to squirt water on the walls.
I just want to make sure I can put the thing back together because that is what feeds my Reverse UG filter.
It's a busy part of the year now for me and every one else with all the parties and such, but some things we need to do eventually. I don't test, change much water or have controllers or dosers to deal with so I will find the time.
I have not changed any water for quite a while but that will have to wait until after New Years day.
I am also feeding the corals yeast. I don't know if it will do anything but maybe they will rise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was standing in my workshop an hour ago and I noticed my fire extinguisher gage read "refill". So I took it outside and dumped out all the chemical, opened it up and took off the labels then I sanded it. It will soon be another Steampunk Lamp.
I designed it and as soon as I get time, I will get the parts.
I finished cleaning the algae screen so the fish are smiling again.

Last night I got a call from my Captain that I served with in Viet Nam. He is a retired Brigadier General now and we talk once or twice a year about the war days. He always tells me things that happened that I totally forgot about and the stuff I used to build. He told me that once I walked out of the jungle dragging a 40' piece of bamboo and asked me what I was going to do with it. I made a bunch of drinking cups. I still have one. Then once a helicopter crashed near by and he told me that no one could find me.
Someone said a helicopter crashed and he said, Oh in that case, don't worry. Sargent Baldassano is probably stripping it to make something out of it. I forgot all about that and am surprised I never got shot. I hooked up lights in our bunkers using the helicopter battery and light bulbs (we had no electricity)
Then I used the switches to make a console so the Capt, could use one handset and call the rear, or choppers, or fire direction control or the artillery guns. Before that, he had to use 4 different radios and handsets.
I was the Commo Chief of a field artillery battery on small LZs that we built in the jungle. I helped build 14 of them.
I get bored easily and have to keep building, fixing or redesigning things.
In Nam I only had a pliers and some wire so there wasn't much to work with and we were always taking sniper fire or being mortared.
I even got a citation for Creativity in a combat environment.
Now the VA is testing me to see if I have PTSD. I don't think I do even though my Captain and Wife think I do :D
I just like to keep busy.

Here is a veranda I built there in the jungle.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He also told me where and how I got my duck, Duk-Duk. He remembers everything and I just about know that I am alive. He told me he got in trouble once because I was loading a helicopter with the Medic and we were carrying a stretcher with equipment to load the chopper. And on top of the equipment was Duk-Duk. His superior yelled at him for allowing me to bring a duck on a helicopter. He explained to his superior that I was a little weird and he basically let me do whatever I wanted because I helped him so much with designing and acquiring things. No one ever bothered me as long as I did what I was trained to do.

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, great stories! You have quite the history and it sounds like you were (and still are!) a Legend! If I haven't said it already, Thank you so much for your service and all the sacrifices you've made. I really, genuinely mean that.

Changing the subject entirely, the other day I was in my local grocery store (remember I am far inland.....Iowa) and saw behind the fresh seafood counter what, to me, appeared to be clams. Oddly enough they were labeled "Live Mussels". Clearly I know next to nothing about seafood (which is a shame as I love eating fish); for all I know mussels could be another name for clams, or could be the polar opposite. Would these mussels be worth feeding my fish, like you feed your fish live clams from the supermarket? If so, is all I have to do is crack them open, scoop them out, chop them up to tiny pieces, and feed to my fish? Or is there another method to this madness? Lastly, how long would you estimate they can last (stay good, beneficial) once purchased and stored in the fridge?

I am really hoping these mussels will work as a type of live food like your clams are for your fish as I am still on the hunt for a new source for live black worms. As always, thanks for the helpful advice

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mussels are an excellent food for your fish. Freeze them and chop them up. I eat them myself all the time. Great find

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are mussels. I collect mud here for the bacteria. I also collect amphipods here.

These are clams, or what I like to call, lunch.
GettaReef I have a friend from the Army in Iowa on Rural Rt. 1

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing Paul. Very interesting. It's good to see that high ranking officers appreciated your talents!

Glad you could get your ATS cleaned out too and that your shoulder is improving.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chasmodes, if my wife was well ,my life would be perfect. :cool:

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's a lot of mussels! Thanks for the info, I am pleased to find a food that you recommend. Now to find a source for clams and black worms

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes Petco sells live blackworms. Don't get bloodworms.

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah! Great idea, I haven't tried them yet. I do have a package of very old San Francisco Bay brand frozen blood worms. But they have to be over two years old now; think I will flush them instead of feeding them.

And here is the question I posted (regarding what can be done to help increase our fishs immune system) in the incorrect thread:

How can we help boost our fish/s immune systems? I imagine feeding the live foods you describe (fresh live clams, mussels, black worms, brine) helps. What else can we do sir Paul the Wise?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you call this beautiful mud, "Muck", then yes I do. Supermodels would pay a fortune to put this stuff on their face. Look how young those snails look. :rolleyes:
This is the same place I too those pictures of the mussels above. I get my amphipods here also

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back