Tank Builders Help

AScarbro14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm tossing around the idea of build my own tank. It would be a 36x24x24 rimless. My question is would 1/2 sides and 3/4 bottom be adequate to support the weight of the water? I've never built a tank before but I believe I am about to do it. Just looking for some extra tips.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass or cell cast acrylic?

Aussie paul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be ok if your a cautious person like me you can always add glass rods in corners for extra strength

OP
OP
AScarbro14

AScarbro14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you add the rods? I've look all over the Internet and can't really find much on building tanks other than how people lay it out before hand.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aussie paul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you do is build the tank then add the rods to the inside of each corner with a bead of silicone up each side of the rod. It adds extra surface area for strength in the corners

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4 bottom be adequate to support the weight of the water
if you can source it 1/2" tempered glass would also work and cut down on weight.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Momentive silicone RTV108 or 103 are the best choices, this is a sealant and promotes exceptional adhesion.

Aussie paul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tempered glass is ok as long as you don't intend on drilling it. I always use plate glass just my preference don't like the idea if something fails the glass shatters

Kresimir_72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 110x60x55 cm and all is done from 10mm glas (3 front sides is opti white) with 2 top glass rods to prevent belly on any side..... If I read and transfer measures correctly you have no reason to worry, it will be fine.... ;-)

OP
OP
AScarbro14

AScarbro14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 110x60x55 cm and all is done from 10mm glas (3 front sides is opti white) with 2 top glass rods to prevent belly on any side..... If I read and transfer measures correctly you have no reason to worry, it will be fine.... ;-)
Thank you for reassuring me. Any tips for assembly?

Kresimir_72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can take few pics later today (cos it is still in garage) so you can see how we do it....

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with overkill but I've owed factory 40 breeders that were 36 inches long that were built of quarter inch glass. For the 24" height I would think that 3/8 would be enough. Half inch should be extra strong just make sure you cure it properly. That means either working very rapidly to do the glass to glass seal and the internal filet at the same time or allowing the glass to glass to cure for 24 hours and then razor blade excess from the inside and add the filet at that time. I've never heard of adding glass rods but if the silicone is done right it shouldn't be necessary on that size tank. Good luck and if you can find it Dow used to publish a small manual on building glass tanks with their silicon. It listed recommended glass thickness per height and width of glass panel to be used along with suggestions on building different shaped tanks.

OP
OP
AScarbro14

AScarbro14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with overkill but I've owed factory 40 breeders that were 36 inches long that were built of quarter inch glass. For the 24" height I would think that 3/8 would be enough. Half inch should be extra strong just make sure you cure it properly. That means either working very rapidly to do the glass to glass seal and the internal filet at the same time or allowing the glass to glass to cure for 24 hours and then razor blade excess from the inside and add the filet at that time. I've never heard of adding glass rods but if the silicone is done right it shouldn't be necessary on that size tank. Good luck and if you can find it Dow used to publish a small manual on building glass tanks with their silicon. It listed recommended glass thickness per height and width of glass panel to be used along with suggestions on building different shaped tanks.
Thank you for the tips. I really want to make sure that it is strong as possible. I will see how well I'll be able to manage the piece of glass when I get them. But I will most like do the glass to glass seal cure then internal. Also I will look and see if I can find the manual that you mentioned.

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're buying the glass already cut you have a choice of clear cut or polished. Clear cut is as cut with sharp edges. You can take an old sanding belt and smooth all the edges on clear cut glass yourself if you choose. Also when you clean the inside of the tank to remove excess silicone from the first glue up make sure you orient the razor blade so it doesn't cut into the between glass seal. I wash the glass before adding silicone with a small amount of alcohol to remove any grease from the glass. All this said unless you have a low cost source for the glass generally you can buy a completed tank as cheap as building your own. I reserve building my own for special shape tanks that are more expensive or unavailable.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back