Tank Crashed is it possible to recover?

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a Valentini puffer, hammer coral colony, xenia coral colony, most of my zoanthid colonies, pair of clown fish, some cuc, and my BTA. Everything had been fine no new additions in the past couple of months. Regular maintaining, and testing. Regular dosing per usual. Then it crashed. I have a six line left some cuc and a RFA. I have determined that maybe chemical warfare between the Anemones was the cause? Over dosage I'm not sure. I tested the water and everything except salinity is whacked out. Nitrate and Nitrite are a bit off not too much. It might be possible I contaminated the water by changing out my RODI filters out as soon as I should've. But nonetheless is it possible to recover from this? I've replaced the filters on the radio so clean water for sure. Should I bump up water testing and water changes until stabilized again? how soon should I begin restocking maybe a week or two after? If anyone has suggestions I would like to see them. And any immediate actions needed now. Thank you.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it's possible. Even if you just do weekly 5% - 10% water changes your system will recover. I would be more aggressive though and do as much manual removal of algae with water changes. If you were carbon dosing that is the first thing I would look at for causing your issues. Salinity would have to be way off <1.018 or >1.032 or 1.034 to cause major issues. Lisitng everything that's been done the last several months would help.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cyanohater

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it's possible. Even if you just do weekly 5% - 10% water changes your system will recover. I would be more aggressive though and do as much manual removal of algae with water changes. If you were carbon dosing that is the first thing I would look at for causing your issues. Salinity would have to be way off <1.018 or >1.032 or 1.034 to cause major issues. Lisitng everything that's been done the last several months would help.
Thank you for your feed back. I will definitely take this advice into consideration.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back