Tank glass and lighting question

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano tank that I've modded and converted. The tank is a glass covered top with only a small opening towards the back. My light is over the glass portion of the tank. How much of an effect do you think the glass is having on the light by going through glass? I could remove the top, I've done it on another identical tank that came cracked on the top.

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small effect. I've noticed when I had a glass top that it would get a film or get dusty and that would effect the light penetration imo.

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small effect. I've noticed when I had a glass top that it would get a film or get dusty and that would effect the light penetration imo.
Yes exactly. I notice within a day after cleaning the tank, that salt starts building on the underside of the glass and the top gets dusty as well.

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. And and it was driving me but cleaning the glass top almost daily and taking time out of actually enjoying the tank and doing other maintenance and testing so I removed it and feel like the light penetrates better than ever.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are worried about "jumper" fish, suggest you put a screen top. Keeps the fish in; allows O2 exchange; and keeps the cats out of the water. LOL :eek:

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to home depot, get that eggcrate in the lighting section. The panels are used for fluorescent shop lights and you will see boxes of it there. It's not expensive and very easy to cut to match the size of your tank perfectly.

WAY better than using a glass top.

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some egg crate lying around. I will try to get the top removed and see if that helps. I will let you all know how it worked out. Thanks for the advice.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 166 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back