Tank in crisis

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing with our tapwater is it's got a Ton of copper in it and it Sunday night on the Northeast and there's not gonna be anything open definitely not Amy is going to have 50 or 100 gallons of water

Negative on the tap water if copper is present.

OP
OP
BILLMELLO

BILLMELLO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing I'm not clear on yet that was what will actually illuminate the bacteria growth how do we stop the bloom

We can vacuum out the big pieces if we can figure out a way to do it without making the problem worse is the idea we will just eventually get in front of it and now that we've illuminated the source things will improve

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run a tube through a filter sock and get water flowing, then scrape and suction to try to remove as much as possible while returning water to the tank. Place filter sock with floss in sump and keep changing it out as it gets dirty. This may be one long night. I feel your pain.
Now this is a good idea! As long as the bacteria gets stuck in the sock and doesn't get pulled through. And, it recycles the water so it is something you can do right now.
The more bacteria you can get out, the less O2 it will pull from the water.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing I'm not clear on yet that was what will actually illuminate the bacteria growth how do we stop the bloom

We can vacuum out the big pieces if we can figure out a way to do it without making the problem worse is the idea we will just eventually get in front of it and now that we've illuminated the source things will improve
Did you not remove the pieces of dead starfish?

OP
OP
BILLMELLO

BILLMELLO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes last night but it seems like things have really gotten going by then I just didn't know how bad until this afternoon

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes last night but it seems like things have really gotten going by then I just didn't know how bad until this afternoon
Is your skimmer running hard right now?

But yes, if you eliminate the source of the carbon, the bacteria bloom will eventually die out on its own. Its just a matter of how much material remains for the bacteria to feed on.

OP
OP
BILLMELLO

BILLMELLO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My instinct is if I were to start siphoning the bacteria off now I would want to shut off the wave pump so we don't disperse it. At the same time the oxygen seems to be the right thing for the fish at this moment they're are laboring to breathe but not as much as they were 10 or 15 minutes ago at least the ones I can see

The wave pumps and the agitation at the surface are part of that strategy not sure how to prioritize these two competing objectives

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Every time you find something deceased get it out, and any of the substrate it's sitting on and around. I scoop everything out with a coffee cup.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My instinct is if I were to start siphoning the bacteria off now I would want to shut off the wave pump so we don't disperse it. At the same time the oxygen seems to be the right thing for the fish at this moment they're are laboring to breathe but not as much as they were 10 or 15 minutes ago at least the ones I can see

The wave pumps and the agitation at the surface are part of that strategy not sure how to prioritize these two competing objectives
Keeping your O2 levels up is critical. The bacteria itself won't harm the fish. That has to be your priority imo.

OP
OP
BILLMELLO

BILLMELLO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually expecting more skim and I'm getting just Maxed the flow

If I still don't see a significant amount of skim I'll start to close the baffle

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We rally don't have a way to measure dissolved oxygen, so I'd continue with the surface agitation.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, i just got my own reminder to test. I'll check back in a bit.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0393.JPG
battery seems intact with no signs of corrosion

RTA moved up high in the tank earlier today as did a fire shrimp that did not make it
IMG_0398.JPG

Lots of gasping going on not sure if it was a good idea but I have taken some bubble wands from my FW tank to add oxygen

image.jpg

You can see some of the white film here
good move adding the O2

JEREMY82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u have a multi meter plug it in check and see if u got stray electricity in tank.If so just start by turning stuff off one by one . I would also prob mix more water . in case it turns south any more.good luck

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back