Tank upgrade: Purchase Full Tank or Empty?

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got back into reefing and purchased a 32 biocube that has been running for 3 years. It came with a few fish, corals, and live rock (not much). I added more dry rock about 1-2 weeks ago. But, I already want to upgrade to a 65g tank. I have been checking out several in my local area and have come across two that I am interested in. One comes fully stocked with a few small fish and a ton of rock and coral. The other is an empty set up. The one with the fish and coral is cheaper, but obviously would be a real pain to move. I will be using new sand and water if I go with the full one, but I would also need to keep my current rock due to the corals I have. Would it be a better idea to get the empty one or the full one cheaper?

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the stocked one have thing you would want to have?

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally if it was something I didn’t want I wouldn’t care about spending a few extra bucks for the blank slate you know what I’m saying

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally if it was something I didn’t want I wouldn’t care about spending a few extra bucks for the blank slate you know what I’m saying
I think that's the way I'm leaning. Can make it look the way I want. Do you think there would be any issues with adding new sand and water and then just move my rock, fish, and corals over? I don't think there would be a new cycle right? Also, live sand or dry?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back