Tank Upgrade Question

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to begin my tank upgrade, hopefully in the next few days. I currently have a 32 biocube and I am going to a 65g with a sump. I put in new sand yesterday and new water about half way to let the sand settle. I'm guessing I have anywhere from 15-25lbs of rock in biocube. When I purchased the boicube it was running and only had the arch with the zoa's on them and a clown and blenny (see photo). I then added the other rock (dry and didn't cure, yes not smart) almost 3 weeks ago (other photo). I've read that I can move the rock and all the inhabitants over at once with no issues. Will that be enough rock to start? I plan to add more later once it's cured.

Tank 1.jpg Tank 2.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the rock in your current tank is sufficient to support the livestock in the current tank, why wouldn't it do the same when put into the larger tank with the same livestock? Just rinse the rocks off in the old tank water, and take the opportunity to scrub off any unwanted algae before putting them into the new tank.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the rock in your current tank is sufficient to support the livestock in the current tank, why wouldn't it do the same when put into the larger tank with the same livestock? Just rinse the rocks off in the old tank water, and take the opportunity to scrub off any unwanted algae before putting them into the new tank.
Wasn’t sure if more rock would be needed initially due to the larger volume of water. I guess I basically want to make sure the temp and salinity are the same and other parameters are close and then add?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn’t sure if more rock would be needed initially due to the larger volume of water. I guess I basically want to make sure the temp and salinity are the same and other parameters are close and then add?
Temp and salinity. If there are corals, then match alk too.

The larger water volume is irrelevant. The amount of waste and the amount of waste processers (nitrifying bacteria) are what matter.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp and salinity. If there are corals, then match alk too.

The larger water volume is irrelevant. The amount of waste and the amount of waste processers (nitrifying bacteria) are what matter.
If anything, you can add some bottled bacteria to the new tank when you put the fish in.

(And you can always add more rock, but your basic biofilter will manage the current bioload)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to begin my tank upgrade, hopefully in the next few days. I currently have a 32 biocube and I am going to a 65g with a sump. I put in new sand yesterday and new water about half way to let the sand settle. I'm guessing I have anywhere from 15-25lbs of rock in biocube. When I purchased the boicube it was running and only had the arch with the zoa's on them and a clown and blenny (see photo). I then added the other rock (dry and didn't cure, yes not smart) almost 3 weeks ago (other photo). I've read that I can move the rock and all the inhabitants over at once with no issues. Will that be enough rock to start? I plan to add more later once it's cured.

Tank 1.jpg Tank 2.jpg
Is that a baby harlequin tusk I spy in there??? :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back