Test kits for the color blind?

Bassett22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
enChroma glasses cure colorblindness (supposedly) You can do a indepth test on their site and see how well their glasses will help you.
http://enchroma.com/

sadly they say they wont work well for my colorblindness, so I just use the hanna checkers and go with it.

OP
OP
hig789

hig789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
enChroma glasses cure colorblindness (supposedly) You can do a indepth test on their site and see how well their glasses will help you.
http://enchroma.com/

sadly they say they wont work well for my colorblindness, so I just use the hanna checkers and go with it.

That is very cool. I haven't done a test since I was in kindergarten. And it did a excellent job of perfectly describing how I see colors. Sadly mine is a strong protan and they won't really help me either.

OP
OP
hig789

hig789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had a API dKH test on hand and figured I'd test it against my Red Sea to see how far off it was since it has a drastic change when you hit the proper dKH.

API - 10 dKH
Red Sea - 10.1 dKH

The API doesn't use decimal points though which would make it less accurate.

Giddyup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have exact same color blindness problems... Salifert Mag test is unusable to me and see no change .... Always need help on that one...

OP
OP
hig789

hig789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can normally do pretty good with the Red Sea Mg test I've been testing a lot the past few days trying to figure out exactly what to look for on them. Getting pretty close to the same numbers I get as when the wife helps me.

OP
OP
hig789

hig789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was kinda close on the Alk test. Thought I stopped at the perfect spot but I didn't stop soon enough.

I ran Randy's DIY alk test with .1N HCL and at 4.5 PH the Alk was 9.5dKH. That test is so simple. Much easier than looking for a color change IMO. A big thanks to Randy for posting that article.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was kinda close on the Alk test. Thought I stopped at the perfect spot but I didn't stop soon enough.

I ran Randy's DIY alk test with .1N HCL and at 4.5 PH the Alk was 9.5dKH. That test is so simple. Much easier than looking for a color change IMO. A big thanks to Randy for posting that article.

Glad it worked for you! :)

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just found out we have 4 and 7 ph calibration fluids here, as well as .1N HCL. So from now on I'll use it as my Alk test.

Ive read to get the better calibration you should use 7 and 10 since its closer to what we use.

BTW- BRS has those fluids for less than a dollar each.

OP
OP
hig789

hig789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive read to get the better calibration you should use 7 and 10 since its closer to what we use.

BTW- BRS has those fluids for less than a dollar each.

I was just going by what Randy suggested in the DIY Alk test article. I assume that since you are taking the ph down to 4.5 with the acid is why it is recommended to calibrate with 4 and 7 instead of 7 and 10.

I can calibrate them free at work in the lab. And I don't have to pay shipping.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, pH 7 and 10 are better for calibration prior to tank measurements, but pH 4 and 7 are better for alk titrations or monitoring a CaCO3/CO2 reactors (although any combination of calibration fluids should be OK since we rarely have need for high accuracy in pH). :)

match69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to Hig789. You could get your wife to buy you a pair of EnChroma spectacles. If you google "Enchroma" that will give the manufacturers site and googling "Colorblind Man Sees Purple for the First Time" should point to a well known video site with this and other film; not sure I should post the urls. I haven't looked into the cost of these though.
Best Wishes,
Mark.

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk Red Sea test kit does the same thing. Goes to a beer color instead of the dark clayish red. I have checked it against other test kits and when the color changes from blue to a beer color it is done.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back