The Butterfly Lover's Thread

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly a lot of the "easier" butterflies seem to arrive in worse shape. I think less care is put into every aspect of collection and transport since they are not worth as much.

I actually lost the saddleback as well 2 days ago. Atrophy of the kidneys and retention of bright coloration more than 24 hrs after death (which leads me to the conclusion it was cyanide collected). It lasted roughly 22 days, which fits well with the timeline for a cyanide collected fish that was transshipped and did not sit at a wholesaler.
Dang man sorry to hear. That was a beautiful fish.
You’re probably right about less care put in as there cheaper. So sad there suck amazing fish.

OP
OP
Raul-7

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1703277078893.png

Any love for C. semilarvatus?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1703277078893.png

Any love for C. semilarvatus?
I like them but if I’m honest, they’re not all the best butterfly as they are predominantly yellow, much like other butterflies that are somewhat cheaper.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them but if I’m honest, they’re not all the best butterfly as they are predominantly yellow, much like other butterflies that are somewhat cheaper.
they are beautiful but I agree for the price I would get another BF at 25% the cost.
that said I have not seen one in person or side by side other BF. that of course could change my mind.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is quite true, I have been able to notice that most species of butterflies and angels have some yellow hue. A few months ago I read an article about a theory of bright coloration in butterfly species, it seeks to determine how the patterns and colors they have an individual meaning but I can't remember exactly at the moment, I probably wrote it in my notes so I'm going to look it up.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are beautiful but I agree for the price I would get another BF at 25% the cost.
that said I have not seen one in person or side by side other BF. that of course could change my mind.
They have to be seen in person. When in a tank with other butterflies, the semilarvatus is the one that grabs all of the attention.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1705185868332.jpeg

Chaetodon ephippium, Saddleback butterfly fish.

Let's revive this thread! :)
All of mine ended up being cyanide collected fish and passed...

I may try again from a different collector at some point.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back