OP
OP
Brandon Rutherford

Brandon Rutherford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just helped my student Aly set up a 29 gallon marine tank at home. It's a pretty simple setup with just a heater, live rock and two sponge filters but with a T5 light I had in my basement I think he'll be able to start with some basic coral and fish. Water is super cloudy after adding sand. I'll be back for a visit tomorrow and hope to post updates.

638e1fab5b4a64b156a8196d5b958c55.jpg

Also he's apparently a blackbelt in taekwondo. Pretty cool.
Image1459397831.128979.jpg

chickofthesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just helped my student Aly set up a 29 gallon marine tank at home. It's a pretty simple setup with just a heater, live rock and two sponge filters but with a T5 light I had in my basement I think he'll be able to start with some basic coral and fish. Water is super cloudy after adding sand. I'll be back for a visit tomorrow and hope to post updates.

638e1fab5b4a64b156a8196d5b958c55.jpg

Also he's apparently a blackbelt in taekwondo. Pretty cool.
Image1459397831.128979.jpg

This is great news. It looks like another mother son duo is born. I'm so excited for them. I was impressed with Aly when he was helping replenish the salt in the classroom. That boy is STRONG. I could tell he was gonna be a reefer :) Let him know when he's ready I will give him some coral. I may come after school today if I can get some sleep first. Between work and a new puppy that needs to go outside every hour i'm pretty tired.

OP
OP
Brandon Rutherford

Brandon Rutherford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last November a person who was getting out of the hobby donated several fish including a kole tang that I didn't have space for. I put it in the 120 gallon sump in my room but rarely saw it. I fed it with an automatic feeder and gave it nori every other day but after not seeing it for over two months I decided to finally catch it and move it to a new home.
ea1bb7f1d6dafd262298a5533b80a788.jpg

09542a49d220d6fa4d0929bb05bb3fa6.jpg

There's so much stuff in the sump it took four buckets just to clear out enough rock and chaeto to find the fish.

244bf876d6eead07cab095d73f8b9e56.jpg

And I finally got it.

4c7f12d070d195cb46d1587da7ddda08.jpg

OP
OP
Brandon Rutherford

Brandon Rutherford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swapnil and Nipun got together and wrote down what they've learned so far about hatching out and rearing the eggs our saddle back clownfish keep spawning. We'd appreciate it if anyone who knows more about the process than we do to chime in with corrections or recommendations.

Swapnil's dad called my cell phone and interrupted the video, please stick around for part two.

NBcoralreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago I saw my cleaner shrimp shed its outer covering. So when I read more about it, I learned that as the shrimp grows, it undergoes molting. This is when the shrimp has already grown it's new shell and is ready to shed the old covering known as exoskeleton. :)
image.jpeg

My observations : The cleaner shrimp sheds it's exoskeleton approximately every 12 days. Today for the first time,I took out the exoskeleton in my palm. :)
image.jpeg

NBcoralreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NBcoralreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bb4d448bcdcae46472535fcb041ade79.jpg

Just killed the last two clownfish moving them to a new tank. Had acclimation process perfect just stressed them catching them in a cup.

Hatching out new eggs today though. Not giving up!
Phew! It is alright we just have to keep on trying. We have another batch so I am all set to help! Nipun

OP
OP
Brandon Rutherford

Brandon Rutherford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent the extra money for eheim jager heaters in all of my larger tanks only to have one over heat, raising the temperature in Mrs. Wilson's 40 gallon reef tank up to 87 degrees! It must have happened early this morning because Brandon (5th grade brandon) noticed it quickly enough that we were able to save all of the fish. We quickly moved everything we could catch out of the tank; one of the nice things about have 12 others close by with with approximately the same water chemistry. We did a large water change (the only thing I could think of to quickly bring down the temperature) and got out all of the dead livestock.

Only the invertebrates including all of the LPS corals, the shrimps and some of the crabs died. The large tiger brittle star looked really bad but seems to have bounced back. The soft corals look bleached and had some tissue lost but I'm guessing they'll pull through. I'm so proud of my students, both in their ability to observe the problem and how quickly and maturely they worked to fix it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back