The dc pump advantage??

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
something I've been wondering about of a while now. Other than maybe little less noise, I can't come up with any real advantage to having a dc pump on a skimmer.

I get that you can dial it down and all but I don't see why you'd need to.

Help me understand what a dc pump does better for a skimmer? What am I missing?

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also looking for a non-bs response like I'm about to give.

I'm wondering if you can forgo the height requirement some with the adjustment of the DC motor?

Other than that, I'm out of ideas. I just upgraded to a vertex with a sicce pump; me happy :)

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Produces less heat.
Consumes less electricity.

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I read somewhere that a DC pump will handle frequent starts/stops better than an AC pump. Can anyone confirm that?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they do have a slow start, which I would guess is easier on the pump.

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Silence. For me, that was key. So the DC pump was key.

IMO, different speeds can also help the skimmer operate more efficiently in different depths of water. I don't have any criteria to back this up other than me messing with the pump and tube adjustment.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Produces less heat.

this would be it for me. I have a DC return pump and love the dial in abilty for it. it is also silent, low heat and low operating costs. I dont see the need to mess with a pumps speed on a skimmer unless it is just oversized to the skimmer. I have an SCA-302 now and the needlewheel pump it came with has been great, although it is a standard AC pump

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Produces less heat.
Really, how much less heat and how much less electricity? AC versions of needlewheel pumps hardly draw much electricity. My WM/Skimz 251 pulls 36 watts between the 2 pumps. while pulling 2600-2800 lph of air. Besides, 36 watts is not much heat.

The Skimz 253 with DC pump:
VSC10000-DC Pump Features:
  • Six RPM presets
  • Feed mode with shut off timer
  • Air Draw: 317-634 GPH (1200-2400 LPH)
  • Power Consumption: 25-69 Watts
Where is the savings?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Really, how much less heat and how much less electricity? AC versions of needlewheel pumps hardly draw much electricity. My WM/Skimz 2501 pulls 36 watts between the 2 pumps. while pulling 2800 lph of air. 36 watts is not much heat.

That's pretty much what I was coming up with as well. For needles for sure. Not much of a trade off if any at all.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and in that instance, the DC pump draws even more energy (nearly double) to produce similar results. I would be interested in the German made DC pumps as they are infinitely adjustable for fine tuning.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pump efficiency lies in the magnetic strength between the rotor and stator for the most part. The stronger the field the more efficient. This can be accomplished in different ways , most notably the type of magnets used eg neodymium and ferric, and the space between the rotor and stator. When using a power supply to step down the voltage you have a power loss . It may be very little but its there. So, AC/DC not much difference in efficiency if both pumps are of similar quality.
Most German pumps like the Abyzz and BK Speedy are high voltage synchronous motors that operate on sinewave waveform all the qualities that make an AC pump. As of now the only German low voltage pump is the Abyzz 100w, anything higher eg 200w and above is high voltage for various reasons.
Dc provides variable speeds , depending on what you are using it for it may make sense. eg Flow pumps.
FWIW Jebao sells the same low voltage DC pump we see here, in Asia, as both low voltage DC and high voltage AC.

JMO

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would not be less heat or less electricity for the same size motor. But it would be safer as it runs on low voltage (which doesn't equal low heat or electricity)
(Master Electrician 40 years, retired)

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But how much safer? Like how a unloaded gun is not as safe as an unloaded gun in a safe? Or is it like an unloaded gun in a safe is not as safe as an empty safe?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, safe because it operates on low voltage, probably 12 volts as opposed to 110 volts so if the power cord tore, you don't get electrocuted. But that is the only advantage I could see besides being variated speed.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, unless you cut the wire from the power supply and connected it directly to the battery. That large thing you plug into the wall is a power supply which lowers the line voltage to about 12 volts (depending on the model) then changes it into DC.
As is, it will not run on DC from a battery.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, safe because it operates on low voltage, probably 12 volts as opposed to 110 volts so if the power cord tore, you don't get electrocuted. But that is the only advantage I could see besides being variated speed.
What I'm trying to establish is if the safety measure has merit. How many people get injured from their pump being an AC pump? Just trying to measure the size of that "if". :)

diablomaster9045

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it is all about fine tuning. With pretty much all dc pump skimmers they have 3 points of adjustment. Air flow, water in flow, and output opening size. So theoretically, they provide the ability to finetune your skimmer more. But for the price difference, I personally don't think its worth it because the DC pumps are still in their infancy and with a skimmer you want reliability.

I have been intrigued by the Coral Box 500 DC skimmer, but I have been happy with my Bubble Magus skimmers so have not bought one yet.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back