The difference in Alk products.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like what is the real difference in all the Alk products? I currently use Red Sea Alk but what about B-ionic or soda ash?
I’ve always through esv also included a few other elements not only Alk or cal in their 2 part

@Randy Holmes-Farley will have a better answer

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always through esv also included a few other elements not only Alk or cal in their 2 part

@Randy Holmes-Farley will have a better answer
Yeah with all the different products like what's really the difference. I know a lot of people use esv but is so much cheaper than Red Sea

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some will contain trace elements. I recently weened my tank off AFR and started using Randys Recipe #1 and I couldn't be happier with the results. Still dialing it in a little bit but it's much more stable than anything else I've tried. It leaves room for messing with your own trace element regimen if that's something you're into.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The major differences between alk products are:

1. The pH effect, coming from bicarbonate (slight pH lowering), carbonate (substantial pH boost) and hydroxide (highest pH boost, twice as much as carbonate)

2. Whether they are balanced with other ions for use in a complete two part. This can be accomplished in a third part (like Balling Part C) or in the alk and calcium additives (like ESV) or none there except by impurity (soda ash or baking soda alone, for example). Note that the purpose of these other ions can be to supplement, or the levels can be much lower and be intended to prevent the supplement method itself from lowering them as salinity rises and is then readjusted downward).

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The major differences between alk products are:

1. The pH effect, coming from bicarbonate (slight pH lowering), carbonate (substantial pH boost) and hydroxide (highest pH boost, twice as much as carbonate)

2. Whether they are balanced with other ions for use in a complete two part. This can be accomplished in a third part (like Balling Part C) or in the alk and calcium additives (like ESV) or none there except by impurity (soda ash or baking soda alone, for example). Note that the purpose of these other ions can be to supplement, or the levels can be much lower and be intended to prevent the supplement method itself from lowering them as salinity rises and is then readjusted downward).
Will i get the PH boost in soda ash like i do with Red Sea ALk?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will i get the PH boost in soda ash like i do with Red Sea ALk?

Soda ash should be similar or higher boost, depending on exactly how they formulated it besides carbonate:

"Carbonate & buffer complex for balanced formation of Coral Skeleton"

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back