The DSR Method (Dutch Synthetic Reefing)

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my gosh, I just spent the past 3 hours or so poring over this thread! I’m so glad I found it!

I have a 465 gal build arriving in September and before finding this info was planning on using Triton Method... Now after reading all this and with all the gorgeous images, DSR is DEF my number 1 choice for the new tank.

I do have an equipment question though, has anyone here used a DyMiCo filter alongside the DSR method? The low-power consumption and increased plankton/microfauna benefits that are touted by the DyMiCo system are very appealing, as at some point I would like to branch into NPS and want a less sterile tank with a more complete food web in place.

However, it seems that some aspects of DSR would conflict with DyMiCo? Specifically the fact that both DSR and DyMiCo filtering would be lowering Nitrate/Carbon-Dosing.

Regarding sustaining plankton/microfauna in the water column from the DSB in the DyMiCo, I was thinking about having the powerfilter and skimmer running only during daylight hours and turning them off when the lights go out and all the bugs come out to play and polyps open to feed on them.

Thoughts?

Glenn was one of the betatesters of the Dymico filter and was running it DSR. The only difference to normal DSR would be that you don't use a skimmer (unless you use it as aerator of the Dymico effluent in a second sump, which will be how I plan to run Dymico in the future) and may not need some of the DSR supplements (Dymico is also a CA reactor).

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glenn was one of the betatesters of the Dymico filter and was running it DSR. The only difference to normal DSR would be that you don't use a skimmer (unless you use it as aerator of the Dymico effluent in a second sump, which will be how I plan to run Dymico in the future) and may not need some of the DSR supplements (Dymico is also a CA reactor).

So, does the fact that he is no longer running a Dymico filter mean that it was found to not have enough benefit? If you have any links to reviews or commentary about the Dymico in English I would greatly appreciate it... It's really hard to find information here in the US and I haven't been able to talk to anyone that currently uses one about its pros and cons.

My other question is that since both the Dymico and DSR both dose carbon, would there be a high risk of nutrients (nitrate/phos) dropping too low?

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, does the fact that he is no longer running a Dymico filter mean that it was found to not have enough benefit? If you have any links to reviews or commentary about the Dymico in English I would greatly appreciate it... It's really hard to find information here in the US and I haven't been able to talk to anyone that currently uses one about its pros and cons.

My other question is that since both the Dymico and DSR both dose carbon, would there be a high risk of nutrients (nitrate/phos) dropping too low?

It has been awhile when it happened but if I remember correctly Glenn was very positive about the system also in combination with DSR. Beyond the beta test fase it didn't give him enough chalenge that made it interesting for him to hold on to the system so he started keeping butterfly fish instead.

User based information on DyMiCo is hard to find outside the dedicated DyMiCo users only platform even in Dutch, and probably a major reason why the system is still a niche product. I myself don't have any experience but know somebody who switched his 300+ gallon SPS dominant reef to DyMiCo right after the release of the system here in the Netherlands without a problem. His reef looks at least as good as when he ran a skimmer and he'll never wants to run a skimmer based system.

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been awhile when it happened but if I remember correctly Glenn was very positive about the system also in combination with DSR. Beyond the beta test fase it didn't give him enough chalenge that made it interesting for him to hold on to the system so he started keeping butterfly fish instead.

User based information on DyMiCo is hard to find outside the dedicated DyMiCo users only platform even in Dutch, and probably a major reason why the system is still a niche product. I myself don't have any experience but know somebody who switched his 300+ gallon SPS dominant reef to DyMiCo right after the release of the system here in the Netherlands without a problem. His reef looks at least as good as when he ran a skimmer and he'll never wants to run a skimmer based system.

Yeah it's def a niche product with a niche price-tag to match haha. BUT, if it operates as claimed, I personally think it will be worth the cost to import. Also, if he's on the forum and will to send some advice my way, I'd be much obliged.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Iron Product, Strontium product are you using to dose? Have you had the need to dose No3 and Po4 yet?
I have used a couple of iron products, including Kent Flurish and Brightwell Aquatics Ferrion. Currently I am using Faragon tablets as Randy recommends.
For Strontium I have used Brightwell Aquatics and another brand I do not recall at the moment. I can check when I am home.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the dymico betatesting phase i helped out to solve some problems to enhance the system.
(Powerfilter and altering/ the Carbon dosing)

Dymico is good system if you want combine the fact that it can run without waterchanges with minimal effort and LPS corals. Some NPS will do better also. While NO3 ran very low, the system has a very rich enviroment (bacteria) due to plenty carbon dosing.

After the testing period i gave back the system, because i ran into the fact that i prefer a cleaner system with more control which is neccesary to keep acropora species thriving. IMO a skimmer/powerfilter based system is more suitable for that.

When you prefer a Acropora/SPS population i would advice you to look into a skimmer based system and forget about systems that run without. It's possible to run a SPS tank without skimmer, but it has many drawbacks and you need to be an expert reefer to get it working.

Systems like Dymico/DSR were designed to make reefkeeping easier. The main gain is that regular WC are no longer necessary.
If you prefer NPS/LPS go for dymico
If you prefer SPS/Acropora/mixedreef DSR is more versatile.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a couple of iron products, including Kent Flurish and Brightwell Aquatics Ferrion. Currently I am using Faragon tablets as Randy recommends.
For Strontium I have used Brightwell Aquatics and another brand I do not recall at the moment. I can check when I am home.
Those are way to low concentration to work as an effective Phosphate remover as intended in DSR, those were developed as trace elements.

At very low PO4 it may work out, but as PO4 rise you are better of with the original Fe+ recipe.
http://www.DSRreefing.com/supplements/#Feplus

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the dymico betatesting phase i helped out to solve some problems to enhance the system.
(Powerfilter and altering/ the Carbon dosing)

Dymico is good system if you want combine the fact that it can run without waterchanges with minimal effort and LPS corals. Some NPS will do better also. While NO3 ran very low, the system has a very rich enviroment (bacteria) due to plenty carbon dosing.

After the testing period i gave back the system, because i ran into the fact that i prefer a cleaner system with more control which is neccesary to keep acropora species thriving. IMO a skimmer/powerfilter based system is more suitable for that.

When you prefer a Acropora/SPS population i would advice you to look into a skimmer based system and forget about systems that run without. It's possible to run a SPS tank without skimmer, but it has many drawbacks and you need to be an expert reefer to get it working.

Systems like Dymico/DSR were designed to make reefkeeping easier. The main gain is that regular WC are no longer necessary.
If you prefer NPS/LPS go for dymico
If you prefer SPS/Acropora/mixedreef DSR is more versatile.

That answers my question thank you so much!

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That answers my question thank you so much!
Your welcome.

No system is perfect, they are the tools yout get to work with, it's the reefer and the interpretation that make the real difference.
-The more versatile the tools the more possibilities to succeed.

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, one question I have from one reefer hire on my country. He wants to know to what elements does food break up in dsr system ( and other systems) and how does dsr uses this elements, so they dont harm anything. He wants to know chemical calculations. Well if anyone can simplify this I woud appreciate..I said to him that good bacterias eats them and corals use them, but this wasnt enaugh... thank you for any help.

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your welcome.

No system is perfect, they are the tools yout get to work with, it's the reefer and the interpretation that make the real difference.
-The more versatile the tools the more possibilities to succeed.

Okay, so ordering five 500L DSR kits from SeaFlower today! I will keep y'all posted with results and how it goes starting a new reef from scratch using this method!

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so ordering five 500L DSR kits from SeaFlower today! I will keep y'all posted with results and how it goes starting a new reef from scratch using this method!
Where are you? How much was shipping? I’d love to run DSR but the high cost of shipping the product is preventing me from doing so.

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Glenn was savy he would get with a company in the us to manufacture the kits here.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, one question I have from one reefer hire on my country. He wants to know to what elements does food break up in dsr system ( and other systems) and how does dsr uses this elements, so they dont harm anything. He wants to know chemical calculations. Well if anyone can simplify this I woud appreciate..I said to him that good bacterias eats them and corals use them, but this wasnt enaugh... thank you for any help.

Foods contains essential elements (and buildingblocks) we need for all living organisms. Every organism will extract what they need and excrete the element they don't. The surplus will dissolve into the seawater. Once dissolved it is also being used by many organisms including corals and bacteria.
The skimmer combined with Powerfilter and CarbonVS/Fe/EZCarbon export all excess material. At least it has proven very effective for years now.
Because we don't do any waterchanges we use only pure/uncontaminated/homologised products and RO water to prevent undesired element from entering the system. We also don't dose element not enlisted in the DSR program.
Calculations are done with these calculators

Or the more extended one:
http://dsrreefing.com/dsrcalculator/

For the EZ program there is this one:

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Glenn was savy he would get with a company in the us to manufacture the kits here.
Work in progess..... there are parties interrested to bring DSR to the US.
I am not inbetween these negotiations. They only keep me updated.

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DSR shipment has landed in the USA!!! Only a few more days until arrival!!!

48850D31-83FC-4BD7-8FA3-53D8EDD406C0.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back