OP
Squirrel_reefer

Squirrel_reefer

Call me Squirrel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright ya bunch of REEFERS, got some stuff done recently with this 75 gallon paper weight

IMG_20161105_092624722.jpg

Got my adhesive from The Amazon, much more viscous than I imagined it would be, very runny. Anyways, got in there with the weldon and clamped 'er up.

IMG_20161105_092558615.jpg

IMG_20161105_092547914.jpg

If you look closely.... you'll see my foot

OP
OP
Squirrel_reefer

Squirrel_reefer

Call me Squirrel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YOU ALREADY KNOW FAM

IMG_20161119_125731103.jpg

Time to mess some stuff up

IMG_20161119_133057608.jpg

As you can see I have started to build the stand. This tank is going inside, with water, and we're going to prove the world wrong! (or maybe right who knows)

Tank STILL has water in it, everything is resealed and the frame is all glued up.

IMG_20161119_135822963.jpg

Not sure on the PSI specs of something like gorilla glue but titebond is higher than Elmers wood glue, this green label touts an impressive 4700Psi strength.

IMG_20161119_142929490.jpg

Now I just gotta put it all together

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys....this is never gunna work LOL :D

IMG_20161121_175817337.jpg

look how warped this thing is!!!!!!!!!!!!! need to get some new wood and start over

IMG_20161121_175805962.jpg
Awww man! I was really hoping there was something close to a finished product by now. Pretty stoked to see how this ends up... like either way it goes I'm totally ready.

OP
OP
Squirrel_reefer

Squirrel_reefer

Call me Squirrel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awww man! I was really hoping there was something close to a finished product by now. Pretty stoked to see how this ends up... like either way it goes I'm totally ready.

it's just so hard to find the motivation to put in all the work. I was going to get it done this weekend but I dont own any of the tools I need to complete it so I have to rely on people lending me stuff. Couldn't get the clamps or drill until after the weekend had passed.

I have made arrangements to get some time with my boss's chop saw to make better cuts and right now I only need to redo the longer 49" boards

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's just so hard to find the motivation to put in all the work. I was going to get it done this weekend but I dont own any of the tools I need to complete it so I have to rely on people lending me stuff. Couldn't get the clamps or drill until after the weekend had passed.

I have made arrangements to get some time with my boss's chop saw to make better cuts and right now I only need to redo the longer 49" boards
Yeah, sounds like a good bit of work. Heck you saved so much on the tank you could buy a stand and still be far ahead of where you would've been!

Also, sorry if this was asked before I looked and didn't see the question. What are you going to do if this thing busts open inside your house? I read through the thread so I know your stance on advice givers, but this isn't advice. Just a question :)

OP
OP
Squirrel_reefer

Squirrel_reefer

Call me Squirrel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, sounds like a good bit of work. Heck you saved so much on the tank you could buy a stand and still be far ahead of where you would've been!

Also, sorry if this was asked before I looked and didn't see the question. What are you going to do if this thing busts open inside your house? I read through the thread so I know your stance on advice givers, but this isn't advice. Just a question :)

So the way I see it, IF........IF it happens its going to go one of two ways....

#1- a slow but steady leak will develop and the tank is going to start loosing water. This would be best case scenario. I have several redundancies in place, first would be my seneye reef monitor sending me a message that the tank is losing water. second would be a DIY float switch alarm as seen on a popular DIY fish keeping channel sounding an alarm for anyone inside the house. Third would be the IP cam I would have setup to monitor the tank 24/7. so if it starts to leak, I will be informed and anyone at home (ie roomate) can start to drain the tank while I head over to deal with the headache. I have had a 55g spring a leak before and dealt with it no worries. again best case scenario.

#2- worst case scenario, a wall literally just falls out and now 75g worth of water and fish are on the floor. First step, get all the fish I can into a container with fresh saltwater used for WC's. "sorry little buddies, no acclimation time, Darwin send's his regards". at this point there is no going back, I plan to keep all electronics (ie power supplies and surge protectors) off the floor to prevent a fire hazard, and ideally the tank would be on a solid floor like tile, which I currently have" from there all I can do it call servpro and have them come extract the water, an expense I would be willing to incur since I rent a town house and a 5g wet/dry vac would be the equivalent of you-know-whatting into the wind.....

I dont mind getting advice or being asked questions, my disclaimer was simply to ward off the finger pointers because they say it can't be done. they also told the wright brothers that their flying machine wouldn't work.

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the way I see it, IF........IF it happens its going to go one of two ways....

#1- a slow but steady leak will develop and the tank is going to start loosing water. This would be best case scenario. I have several redundancies in place, first would be my seneye reef monitor sending me a message that the tank is losing water. second would be a DIY float switch alarm as seen on a popular DIY fish keeping channel sounding an alarm for anyone inside the house. Third would be the IP cam I would have setup to monitor the tank 24/7. so if it starts to leak, I will be informed and anyone at home (ie roomate) can start to drain the tank while I head over to deal with the headache. I have had a 55g spring a leak before and dealt with it no worries. again best case scenario.

#2- worst case scenario, a wall literally just falls out and now 75g worth of water and fish are on the floor. First step, get all the fish I can into a container with fresh saltwater used for WC's. "sorry little buddies, no acclimation time, Darwin send's his regards". at this point there is no going back, I plan to keep all electronics (ie power supplies and surge protectors) off the floor to prevent a fire hazard, and ideally the tank would be on a solid floor like tile, which I currently have" from there all I can do it call servpro and have them come extract the water, an expense I would be willing to incur since I rent a town house and a 5g wet/dry vac would be the equivalent of you-know-whatting into the wind.....

I dont mind getting advice or being asked questions, my disclaimer was simply to ward off the finger pointers because they say it can't be done. they also told the wright brothers that their flying machine wouldn't work.
Well... I can tell you my foot tastes a little weird :) I hope it all works out for you, especially after all the work you've put into it. Gotta love that positivity man! Definitely looking forward to updates.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The write brothers didn't pull their flying machine out of a dumpster and glue it back together! :p

Honestly, I expect the likelihood of this tank blowing apart is only very slightly higher than it happening with a new tank.

OP
OP
Squirrel_reefer

Squirrel_reefer

Call me Squirrel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I can tell you my foot tastes a little weird :) I hope it all works out for you, especially after all the work you've put into it. Gotta love that positivity man! Definitely looking forward to updates.

no worries, I never have the intention to make someone look silly on here, so hopefully you dont see it that way. I'm just glad to have people involved in the conversation

OP
OP
Squirrel_reefer

Squirrel_reefer

Call me Squirrel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The write brothers didn't pull their flying machine out of a dumpster and glue it back together! :p

Honestly, I expect the likelihood of this tank blowing apart is only very slightly higher than it happening with a new tank.

As always thank you for your kind words lol!!!

but can you imagine if they had pulled it out of dumpster and glued it back together??

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back