Wanted to see how the skimmer fit
IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to spread out the rocks a bit more leaving some gaps in-between them or caves so that water flows through and fish can also hide and swim through them. The center flat piece on a angle if its not attached with a rod or glue you might want to do so.

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to spread out the rocks a bit more leaving some gaps in-between them or caves so that water flows thought, fish can also hide and swim through them.
Awesome thank you. I like the left part, but the right is what lead me to ask questions. I think a bit more space will make it better thank you for the suggestions.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You planning on using rods or cement? I used the Emarco cement and it's easy to work with! Whatever you build will be one structure! Haha

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You planning on using rods or cement? I used the Emarco cement and it's easy to work with! Whatever you build will be one structure! Haha

I've got the aquastik putty. I want it to stay out but still be removable one day :p

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we've picked out the rock design
IMG_0512.JPG

And the FMK is here!!! Time to get the plumbing done and get water in this awesome tank!

IMG_0517.JPG

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is wet, and we are on day 3 of the Red Sea Reef Mature program. One thing I noticed in this tank compared to my smaller tank is how much evaporation we are getting.

image.jpeg

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got all the plumbing strapped up and the reactors mounted. Really happy with how it's all coming together so far. Need to order a pipe from BRS to finish the center reactor's return.

IMG_0527.JPG
IMG_0528.JPG
IMG_0529.JPG

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've been working through the Red Sea Reef Mature program, and the timing has been spot on about algae growth etc. We recently added all the snails, and they've been busy cleaning. I changed the return pump to a VarioS 8 after seeing the flow numbers through all of my reactors and added 2 wav pumps to increase the in tank circulation. About to figure out my ATO next. We're setting up a tiny QT tank to start getting fish ready. Enjoy some pics of the clean up crew.

IMG_0548.JPG
IMG_0549.JPG
IMG_0551.JPG
IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro, CupramineYesterday, we set up QT and picked up a lawnmower blenny that we want to add to help control our algae and provide some fun to our tank later. I've heard and seen videos of their unique personalities. He seems happy in the QT tank, but I'm not sure what to get him to eat. We have some seaweed we're trying with it. Here it is.
IMG_0554.JPG

I've started him on a 21-day treatment and monitoring plan that I found at http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/quarantining-marine-fish-made-simple. I'm totally prepared to go longer if he shows any signs of anything during that time. We started him off on a product that the Aquatic Critter suggested shown below, and we'll follow up with Cupramine and Prazipro.
IMG_0556.JPG

Finally, I'm a software engineer, and so I love automation and tweaking. I had enjoyed my apex in my prior tank, but I didn't really know enough about reefing to know what to use it for and no software engineer will fully trust any technology. We've seen how the sausage is made so to speak. However, a while back I got into the NSI program for Fusion Web and Fusion IOS, and I've been thrilled with what I've seen Neptune System do and act inside that program. They are working hard to make things better.
Recently, they released the Flow monitor kit, and while I didn't get into the NSI for that, I was totally interested in know more about what would be going on in my plumbing of my new aquarium. In my prior tank (RSM Max E170) there wasn't really anything to monitor related to that. It just a larger AIO type tank. I waited on the FMK to do my plumbing in this new tank, and I'm so glad I did. I copied a bunch of the wonderful designs I saw in the gigantic show off your reefer thread. Three in particular Broadfield (current tank of the month), Reefer525xl and Pelphrey were strong inspirations for me. I mentioned in my prior post about changing out the pump, and it was because of the FMK helping me understand what was happening. I also verified the FMK reading with the old 5-gallon bucket fill test to make sure what I was seeing made sense. I had started with my return pump way too low (100gph), when I bumped it up I got closer to what I wanted (4-6x turn over with all three reactors open). Finally, I got 400gph with the VarioS 6 and my silly plumbing without the reactors open, and I could sustain that with 1 carbon reactor running properly (I also have flow monitors on all my reactors). I knew that wasn't going to cut it with all three reactors going, and already at 90% power on the pump. So I picked up the VarioS 8, and I immediately saw a huge difference. At 65% power, I can get over 514gph with no reactors! YES PLEASE! With all the reactors open, I can power them at the desired levels with 80% power and still 480gph return! This is something I would have simply done entirely wrong without the FMK. Here is a graph of that transformation:
flow.png

Regardless of your preferred controller vendor, I highly recommend the usage of some sort of flow monitor to help you really see what is going into each reactor, return, etc in your system. The bucket test was a great way to verify that information, but it was hard to do for some of the reactor plumbing from the manifold. As a reefer with only one year of experience and only with an AIO system, I had made a bad purcasing decision and would have regretted it quite a bit later on, or had issues related to my low return flow, and never known it. Visually it looked similar to my AIO, so I thought it must be right... but much like diabetes... TEST DON'T GUESS!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back