The NEW Radion G5 XR30 Blue testing & review! | BRStv Investigates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AlainD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy,
For a 48x24x24s sps tank if I buy 2 G5 Blue XR30. At what intensity should I put the radion if i use the AB+ template

Devildawgusmc_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up 2 G5 pros tonight. One works perfectly, the other did the firmware update and never connected again. Had to unplug it completely because the only way to really manage this thing is through Mobius, and the app would not connect to the light. I tried the factory reset feature and it does not help, the app still thinks it’s connected to the light even after resetting to out of the box settings . There are no manuals or articles available online yet, only documentation available is the little trifold that they include in the box, and EcoTech does not have weekend support. Very disappointed in EcoTech, especially after a $2,000 investment.

Rick Krejci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the % numbers you've determine, looks like the XR15 will be a great option for more budget conscious people!

One pet peeve of mine is the glare and light spill when looking at the tank. The XR30 gen 3s and 4s I've had were horrible...all I saw when I looked over to the tank was the glare from the lights. I had to rig up a shade so that I couldn't see the lights at normal viewing angles or in my room. For that and other reasons, I went to the Orphek Atlantik and couldn't be happier in that regard since it's lights don't glare much. May be good to add this aspect in your review, although it would be difficult to measure objectively. I suppose you could adjust camera settings at normal viewing position until the light doesn't saturate the camera sensor and compare exposure.

Thanks for performing these tests...really appreciate the great amount of effort that goes into them!

Rick Krejci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love a 3' tank as well, since the 4' is similar to 2 2' ones already tested. Maybe for the less expensive lights like the XR15, that may be more in the budget for those with 36" tanks.

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Autocorrect took my 4’ tank and made it 4th tank lol

Since the suggested spread on the XR15 is 18” having two on a 36” tank would be good. The video should also suggest spacing which will help as well.

I'd love a 3' tank as well, since the 4' is similar to 2 2' ones already tested. Maybe for the less expensive lights like the XR15, that may be more in the budget for those with 36" tanks.

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me personally, I'm going with the Blue on my 60gal tank. Some say it's a bit too blue for them (but you can always turn the blues down), but it's just fine by me and I can use 100% of all channels then tune down the point intensity to hit my PAR goals.
Thanks Randy! I get mine tomorrow! Super stoked. I went with the Blues.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS when will you make a video on the xr15 g5?

It takes Brent (light tester), Carlos (video editor) and myself about 1.5wks to complete one light testing video and we're working on a quite a few different lighting options at the moment. We're hoping to have the XR15s tested and completed towards the end of March or so. :)

Devildawgusmc_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...we going to see a G5 XR15 vs. Kessil a360x anytime soon?

Not sure why this would happen when the a360x was already compared to the G4 xr15 pro and had a lower PAR rating. The G5 was already compared to the G4 which would make this comparison obsolete. In the end they are both high end lights and will grow coral, go with whichever you prefer.

I personally like the design, settings, and PAR level of the G5 so I went with 2 G5 xr30 pros. I didn’t go with them because of a fad or being new, went with them because I’ve been researching lights for a while to upgrade from the garbage Current USA IC Pros that I was running, and liked the features of the new light.

I chose to go with the Pro over the Blue because my wife is home during the day and enjoys watching the fish which you can see better with more white.

My point is don’t go with a new lighting setup for this huge amount of money because someone told you it would do a better job. Do your research and buy whatever is best for you in your situation.

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guys do you think it is appropriate to combine the radion g5 with the t5 tubes or use them individually? obviously for having exceptional hits on the acropores

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great information! So..... how many lights is recommended for a SPS dominated 72" L x 36" W tank?

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm aiming to put 3 XR30s on a 60" tank so you could do 4 easily side by side, but you maybe want to do 5 running front to back like in the BRS's video, especially since you are 36" wide instead of 24".

Great information! So..... how many lights is recommended for a SPS dominated 72" L x 36" W tank?

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back