The NEW Radion G5 XR30 Blue testing & review! | BRStv Investigates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

U

User1

View Badges
Not sure why this would happen when the a360x was already compared to the G4 xr15 pro and had a lower PAR rating. The G5 was already compared to the G4 which would make this comparison obsolete. In the end they are both high end lights and will grow coral, go with whichever you prefer.

I personally like the design, settings, and PAR level of the G5 so I went with 2 G5 xr30 pros. I didn’t go with them because of a fad or being new, went with them because I’ve been researching lights for a while to upgrade from the garbage Current USA IC Pros that I was running, and liked the features of the new light.

I chose to go with the Pro over the Blue because my wife is home during the day and enjoys watching the fish which you can see better with more white.

My point is don’t go with a new lighting setup for this huge amount of money because someone told you it would do a better job. Do your research and buy whatever is best for you in your situation.

Good choice on the pro's. That would be mine also. I like the extra spectrum options.

As to why is because they are in the same price point and both are the latest models. They are already comparing the Gen 5 to various lights might as well put it up against the a360x. Could be they could just do it via paper and see what the a360x data shows - assuming they used the same testing practices. I'm not sure if they did is why I was asking.

I could be wrong but it seems that they have a different testing methodology now. If the Kessil used the same then yes, why both - just show the data.

Edit: Regarding last comment about buying. My primary lighting is DIY multi channels from blue acro. Love them. I do have a kessil a360x that I've been testing. I like it also. Agree regarding research and not just drinking the cool aide :)

Mkeller088

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered my set from BRS today, sold my AI 52’s. I’m stoked. I hope the mounts become available before my lights get here. Buzz kill if I get the lights and can’t mount them.

Technewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pro vs blue with both on max intensity ab+ , im assuming the blue would put out more par on bottom of tank since it would have more blue led?

Joel Franco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 60 percent 8” above the tank using Ecotech’s tank mount I am getting 300 par in most of the bottom of my tank using 2 xr30 blues over a 5 ft tank.

pciccone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy or genius, for an SPS dominate tank? 6 XR15s G5 across a 96" 300 gallon. 8" AWL, 11" space at each end and then 13.8" between each middle fixture. 80% max intensity over 8 hours (not counting ramp times). I watched your video several times and then tried to convert your recommendations to a larger tank and XR15s for more even spread.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy or genius, for an SPS dominate tank? 6 XR15s G5 across a 96" 300 gallon. 8" AWL, 11" space at each end and then 13.8" between each middle fixture. 80% max intensity over 8 hours (not counting ramp times). I watched your video several times and then tried to convert your recommendations to a larger tank and XR15s for more even spread.

I'll definitely know more as we continue to test the Radions. Right now I'd say that you're probably near the ballpark, but still tough to say with certainty unless you tested with a PAR meter. Mounting height and photo period looks solid to me. To really know for sure the spread and output for the SPS dominated tank goal you'll want to verify with a PAR meter.

As luck would have it, Ryan is currently writing a video for the best practice approach to using a PAR meter. So keep you eyes out for that! :)

<dave76>

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the one! ;)

Hi I was wondering when setting these lights up how much the natural light in the room would effect the intensity I run. For example a bright living room compared to a basement with little or no natural light. Theres lots of recommendations on what templates to run but will tank location make any difference?

Dannad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running G5 XR30 Blue AB+ with intensity at 20% for all settings. Will the Lights too strong for mixed reef? Having Zoa n sps on frag racks by the side, 1 feet below water level on a Red Sea reefer 170.

Last edited:
OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I was wondering when setting these lights up how much the natural light in the room would effect the intensity I run. For example a bright living room compared to a basement with little or no natural light. Theres lots of recommendations on what templates to run but will tank location make any difference?

I honestly don't think there would be a significant enough difference here to make any meaningful changes to your lighting schedule. I've tested ambient room PAR around the office at just 20-40 give or take. It's just not worth trying to overthink and compensate for. :)

Hugo’s_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS
Hey randy
I’m looking into the radions for my waterbox100.3 which is 36”.I see the new xr30 is rated for up to 36”.which I assume should be sufficient for a full sps tank ?

I’m wondering why most if not all 36”tanks I see with radions instead have 3-4 xr15’s ?? Including Jay from Ecotech . Is the xr30 not enough ?Ordoes it not spread the light as well ?
thanks

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS
Hey randy
I’m looking into the radions for my waterbox100.3 which is 36”.I see the new xr30 is rated for up to 36”.which I assume should be sufficient for a full sps tank ?

I’m wondering why most if not all 36”tanks I see with radions instead have 3-4 xr15’s ?? Including Jay from Ecotech . Is the xr30 not enough ?Ordoes it not spread the light as well ?
thanks

For the same price as a single XR30, getting two XR15s allows you to spread the light out more efficiently across longer tanks. Both are viable options, but if it were my dollars I would opt for two XR15s to be able to dial in the spread. :)

Randyp79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS Hey Randy, I just watched the video comparing the G5 XR30 and XR15 spread and layouts. I have a standard 180 gallon (72x24x24), sps dominant reef and I'm currently running 3 G4 XR30's. If I upgrade to G5, would you go with 3 XR30's or 6 XR15's? Thanks

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When are you guys gonna do videos testing the kessil 160 vs AI Prime or ecotech vs kessil? Doesn’t have to be which is better, just give us the facts.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS Hey Randy, I just watched the video comparing the G5 XR30 and XR15 spread and layouts. I have a standard 180 gallon (72x24x24), sps dominant reef and I'm currently running 3 G4 XR30's. If I upgrade to G5, would you go with 3 XR30's or 6 XR15's? Thanks

Personally I would go with XR15s. Their modularity allows for the most optimal spread and distribution. :)

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When are you guys gonna do videos testing the kessil 160 vs AI Prime or ecotech vs kessil? Doesn’t have to be which is better, just give us the facts.

We've still got quite a few lights on the to-do testing list, so believe me we aren't done yet. It just takes about 1-2wks per light to test, compile data, shoot and produce a single video, so the process is definitely not a fast one. :)

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've still got quite a few lights on the to-do testing list, so believe me we aren't done yet. It just takes about 1-2wks per light to test, compile data, shoot and produce a single video, so the process is definitely not a fast one. :)

one Other thing. I am a FOWLR guy. Sometimes it’s hard to figure out what I really need spreadwise. For example, I disagree with the logic of use anything for a FOWLR because blue LEDs from Seapora are not the same as blue from AI or kessil.

so if you could just touch on how the light would work for a FOWLR that’s be great. Even just one sentence makes all the difference. “If you have a FOWLR you can get away with one A360x For 36”, but beware of shadowing.”

I love the videos though, keep em coming!

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bring up a old post. Does anyone know where you can download the BRS G5 Blue template?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bring up a old post. Does anyone know where you can download the BRS G5 Blue template?

The beauty of the Blue is we simply put all channels at 100% then adjusted the overall intensity to hit our goal PAR numbers. Easy peasy! You can choose your own photoperiod, but we typically start with a 10hr total photoperiod with a 30min ramp up and ramp down on either side. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back