The use of vitamins

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning all! So a question, for those who use things like Selcon, and or Vita Chem. How often, and how much do you use? I ask because I saw a post that recommended the occasional use of Selcon. So I am wondering if some use it every day, or every feeding? Or, as was mentioned, just occasionally?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning all! So a question, for those who use things like Selcon, and or Vita Chem. How often, and how much do you use? I ask because I saw a post that recommended the occasional use of Selcon. So I am wondering if some use it every day, or every feeding? Or, as was mentioned, just occasionally?
I’m old school, I soak food, four drops, with Selcon every morning and evening and the same with Viachem in the evening.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m old school, I soak food, four drops, with Selcon every morning and evening and the same with Viachem in the evening.
Yeah that is pretty much the same regimen I do. But when I saw someone one here recommend "occasional " use, it concerned me.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add 5 drops of each to my frozen food several times a week. I do not rinse food, just stir it up and pour liquid and all in. Figure it may feed corals. Not sure why I use 5 drops it just seems to work. Sometimes I'll also add it to nori.
Good to hear. Yeah I add it to the nori as well.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that is pretty much the same regimen I do. But when I saw someone one here recommend "occasional " use, it concerned me.
My previous stint with a reef tank I did the same thing for 16 years.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m old school, I soak food, four drops, with Selcon
I'm older school and would not add anything. The correct food has everything needed and the correct food is not dry food. IMO of course and some of my spawning fish are almost 35 years old :grimacing-face:

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm older school and would not add anything. The correct food has everything needed and the correct food is not dry food. IMO of course. :grimacing-face:
I understand, and I feed flake in the morning, and frozen in the evening. The primary reason I use selcon and vitachem is because I also have a tang and a foxface and I use activated carbon, so I am trying to help assure no HLLE.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 3-4 drops of selcon in thawed food and use it over 2-3 days then start the process over again. Some times i forget the selcon but dont notice any difference. Its just like us i guess in vitamins.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 3-4 drops of selcon in thawed food and use it over 2-3 days then start the process over again. Some times i forget the selcon but dont notice any difference. Its just like us i guess in vitamins.
Yeah, when I do frozen food, I thaw 3 or 4 cubes at a time in RO water and add the same, 3 or 4 drops. then stick in the fridge and that gets me thru a few days worth.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add it to my coral snow treatment that I do every weekend, along with microbacter7.
Hmmm, never thought of this application! I use DIY coral snow after a water change, which I do at 25% every other week. I like this idea as corals will receive it as well.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, and I feed flake in the morning, and frozen in the evening. The primary reason I use selcon and vitachem is because I also have a tang and a foxface and I use activated carbon, so I am trying to help assure no HLLE.
I would eliminate the flakes. But thats just me. :grimacing-face:

HLLE does not come from not feeding vitamins. It is a symptom of stress due to captivity.
Some feel it comes from carbon fines which may also contribute to it.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would eliminate the flakes. But thats just me. :grimacing-face:
Yeah, that is the plan. I want to use what I have on hand rather than waste it, and then I will not be purchasing any more. My fish will certainly thank me :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Don't get me wrong, they go crazy for the flake as well, but I can tell the difference in how much they prefer the frozen

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back