Welcome back
spockwelcome.jpg

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks, I’m new to this forum. I got into the hobby back in 2008 when I feel like it was entering its golden age. So many people were getting into the hobby new at the time. I read book after book on fish, coral, etc. for months before buying my first tank, which was a 24 gallon AquaPod. A few years later I upgraded to a 100 gallon tank, and just kept going. At one point I had a spare bedroom with a quarantine tank in it, a small cheap tank where I was storing love brine shrimp, and a series of small tanks with really powerful lighting above them where I was quarantining coral and later on trying to frag stuff.

Then a few bad things happened... week long power outage hit the area... recovered from that... then an ice storm and no power... it seemed like I just couldn’t catch a break. Got out of the hobby in early 2018.

This past July 4th weekend I decided to get back into the hobby. I now have a Red Sea Reefer 55 gallon with AI LEDs, Eotech powerheads, a NYOS Quantum protein skimmer, Tunze ATO, Marco Rocks, a brain, a few zoas, various creepy crawlers, a couple of cardinals and a couple of orange storm trooper clowns. My tank is currently going through its newborn “ugly phase” but once it gets through that I’ll post some photos. It’s fun being back in the hobby and I’d forgotten how relaxing it is to watch a tank at night.
Welcome to r2r! Please, post the ugly pics. I think it helps new reefers to see what to expect so that they dont overreact. Embrace the ugly!

OP
OP
reefshawn

reefshawn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... not trying to be cute, but I totally read that as "I got into the hobbit back in 2008." I blame the title of the thread! ;Hilarious

Welcome to Reef2Reef! :)

[for those that don't know, the subtitle of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit is There and Back Again]

I’m glad someone got the reference. I had to hold myself back from calling my new tank “my precious” in that post.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 62 74.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back