Think I’m in trouble...

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bad luck all the way through with my 625g FOWLR....After several treatments including Prazi, copper and hypo in the DL, and others in the QT, I now see fish flashing, spurts of swimming, cowering in corners and glass surfing...I do see a powdery sheen on some of them which basically means velvet that has outlasted all of these treatments including 1.75 copper for 30 days. What do I do now....I’m afraid I will lose everything....

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Flame2hawk Yes you should. But this time go all the way up to 2.0 and keep it between 2.0 and 2.5.

Stinks you are dealing with this, but what you are describing I think you have the correct diagnosis. Also, from here on forward dont drop anything into your tank (even coral or inverts) without QT'ing them so you never have to deal with this again. Your only other option would be to remove all the fish, treat in a QT tank (A formalin Bath or Copper) and go fallow for 6 weeks.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Flame2hawk Yes you should. But this time go all the way up to 2.0 and keep it between 2.0 and 2.5.

Stinks you are dealing with this, but what you are describing I think you have the correct diagnosis. Also, from here on forward dont drop anything into your tank (even coral or inverts) without QT'ing them so you never have to deal with this again. Your only other option would be to remove all the fish, treat in a QT tank (A formalin Bath or Copper) and go fallow for 6 weeks.
30 days on the copper @1.20 ?

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using copperguard. It’s 2.0 for 30 days. Fallow period is 76 days. Search for Humblefish on the forum and do what he recommends. Good luck man!

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using copperguard. It’s 2.0 for 30 days. Fallow period is 76 days. Search for Humblefish on the forum and do what he recommends. Good luck man!
IIRC, fallow 76 days is for MI (ich)
If memory serves it's 6 weeks for Velvet

Check out Humble's page

Last edited by a moderator:

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bpfor3 Fallow for ich is 76 days, for velvet its 6 weeks

Yes sir @Greg P you are correct.

@Flame2hawk you will want to slowly raise your copper (Copper Power / any chelated copper) over 6 days form 0 to 2.0 ( or upto 2.5), then you have 30 days at that level. Make sure you test often as salinity effect copper levels pretty quickly. I suggest you do it every 3 days.

Last edited:

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 days on the copper @1.20 ?
Not sure where you're getting that 1.20 number from

Again, refer to Humble's page

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where you're getting that 1.20 number from

Again, refer to Humble's page

SORRY MY MISTAKE...I MEANT 2.0 FOR 30 DAYS. I’M USING COPPER POWER. THX.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bpfor3 Fallow for ich is 76 days, for velvet its 6 weeks

Yes sir @Greg P you are correct.

@Flame2hawk you will want to slowly raise your copper (Copper Power / any chelated copper) over 6 days form 0 to 2.0 ( or upto 2.5), then you have 30 days at that level. Make sure you test often as salinity effect copper levels pretty quickly. I suggest you do it every 3 days.
Its a tough balance as I agree you should raise slowly BUT fish also could pass in that 6 day period.....As you know Velvet can kill quickly if not immediately addressed.....its so frustrating after all this time to have this happening again....Velvet is very tough to get rid of.....

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you guys are right on the fallow period for velvet. my thoughts are that if you are going to go fallow you might as well suck it up and make sure you got it all especially with a tank that big with a potentially large fish population. I have done it. it is not fun, but i haven't had any issues since. I have QT'd all my fish with the copper guard for 30 days at 2.0 and the TTM for velvet and have had no issues. whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you guys are right on the fallow period for velvet. my thoughts are that if you are going to go fallow you might as well suck it up and make sure you got it all especially with a tank that big with a potentially large fish population. I have done it. it is not fun, but i haven't had any issues since. I have QT'd all my fish with the copper guard for 30 days at 2.0 and the TTM for velvet and have had no issues. whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck.
I have a tank full of some beautiful and nice size angels and tangs so really makes it impossible to QT all the fish and go fallow.....very challenging situation as i really care for all these fish...fingers crossed that copper works this time @ higher 2.00ppm....I’m pretty concerned....
Also I did quarantine all my fish but did not do so with copper but rather observed as Ive worked on premise not to medicate unless necessary. Needless to sat my view will now change going forward and I will medicate while in QT....

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank full of some beautiful and nice size angels and tangs so really makes it impossible to QT all the fish and go fallow.....very challenging situation as i really care for all these fish...fingers crossed that copper works this time @ higher 2.00ppm....I’m pretty concerned....
Also I did quarantine all my fish but did not do so with copper but rather observed as Ive worked on premise not to medicate unless necessary. Needless to sat my view will now change going forward and I will medicate while in QT....
good luck man. i feel your pain. i lost every fish in my tank including a bunch of tangs due to an ich wipeout, and i vowed to do everything i could to avoid a repeat.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry. Had a friend go through a bunch of large fish issues. I have gone through my share also.

I do not use copper, but wish you the best in getting the fish through this.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry. Had a friend go through a bunch of large fish issues. I have gone through my share also.

I do not use copper, but wish you the best in getting the fish through this.

Thx. If dont use copper than what instead?

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe he uses Chloroquine phosphate? You simply cant get your hands on it right now with the COVID-19 issues we are dealing with. Hopefully it will come back on the market when things get a bit better.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though I have been going slow and am only at about 1.4 ppm, just as last time the angels are not responding well to the copper. Also looks like the blue throat trigger is wigging out. It’s not likely that I will be able to achieve 2.00 ppm without Sacrificing some of the angels and maybe even the blue throat. Not willing to do that. Last time when it was not affective, I used 1.75 for 30days. stuck in a real tough dilemma....

Back