THIS CRAB HAS SOME GALLS!!!

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally found an affordable pink tip elegance from a vendor. Wanted one for a while, it was my first coral back in 2002 in my 1st salt tank. It looked amazing the 1st two days I had it (1st pict) then it went down hill fast. Stayed mostly closed for a week and I reached out to the vendor and he was more than happy to make it right. The night before I was gonna pull it before it poisoned my tank with death my daughter saw some tiny orange legs wiggling inside one of the gaped mouths. Turns out it was a Gall crab. Was probably living in it for a bit and slowly eating it from inside and the stress of the new tank puts the coral over the limit and the crab started to actually kill it. Got some seachem coral dip and did a 20 min 3/4 strength dose and look what popped it’s head out trying to survive! I was able to pull it out without harming the elegance (I hope) and took it outside, dusted and rubbing alcohol, and burned it until it popped!! Just like a tick!! Hopefully the coral will bounce back, if it was not for my daughter noticing the legs I would’ve toss the coral and I’m so proud of myself. I was hopefully able to save it! Moral of the story I guess is always check for critters you never know even if you know the vendor goes the extra mile for quarantine. They can’t get everything.

IMG_1724.jpeg IMG_1716.jpeg IMG_1806.jpeg IMG_1807.png IMG_1808.jpeg IMG_1417.jpeg

OP
OP
Waynerock

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank by the way, what are your levels just out of curiosity
Thanks! It’s was more skin crawling gross than anything else. Levels are: 8.5 alk 460 cal 1500 MG 0.02 po4 3 or so no3. I dose 32ml of All For Reef a day and have been on that stuff for 2.5 years. Keeps everything nice and level. Got an AP9X over the tank (68 gallons 3 footer) ) and I have it at 46% intensity.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back