This hobby is getting even more ridiculous with pricing......

CenlaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still don't get why these threads get started. Things can be cheap if you try. I build everything myself or buy old used equipment. Like I found an old PM skimmer for 100 bucks at a LFS. Or I got a broken vertex zeovit reactor for less than 100 bucks. Convert old tanks into sumps. Build my own stands. I buy the cheap brown corals because give them enough time and they color up real nicely. As for fish, I just buy the cheap ones because they are just as pretty as the expensive ones. Heck, my lawnmower blenny has so much character and cost so little. I like to shop at Petco even though we have really nice LFSs here. Sure things don't look great, but you can typically nurse the fish or coral back to health if you know what you are doing. It's so satisfying nurturing/nursing something to health and seeing it bloom.

In the end, the rising prices of "rare" corals will go up because demand causes it to go up. Like diamonds. Those "fancy" tenius aren't rare. But they are perceived rare and people will pay for it. Krakatoa? Looks like any other paly to me. But people will pay the price for instant satisfaction and for the right to say they own something rare. Like the crazy people that buy the new iPhone the second it comes out. You own any coral long enough, you'll see the colors change over time. I really like gorgonians. Cheap, beautiful, and easy to grow.
I like this post. Anyone who ever buys fish at Petco absolutely must quarantine them and treat them for ich. All of their tanks are infected in my opinion.

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not agree more !

As a hobbyist community, we have the power to bring prices down. We just need the will power to sell frags to each other at reasonable prices. My club in Minnesota, TCMAS, is generally pretty go at trading/selling frags at reduced prices, compared to commercial vendors. On the other hand, since we are all local, we don't have to take the trouble to ship things.

CenlaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a hobbyist community, we have the power to bring prices down. We just need the will power to sell frags to each other at reasonable prices. My club in Minnesota, TCMAS, is generally pretty go at trading/selling frags at reduced prices, compared to commercial vendors. On the other hand, since we are all local, we don't have to take the trouble to ship things.
Not going beyond one's means with this craft takes self-control and patience. People should never spend beyond their means. IMO, do not ever buy corals, fish, or unnecessary equipment unless you have a savings account in case of emergency (i.e. medical bills, loss of job, car wreck, etc). I am sure there are folks out there who are spending $100s yet not saving for such real-life events. Some folks are fond of calling this hobby an "addiction" or even calling themselves "addicts" with some fondness. Sadly, it is true and not something to smile about. This could be part of the problem with massive price hikes- addicts willing to pay tons of money for their next fix. If someone is financially secure and retired or blessed with a good income and your can afford the latest and greatest, this critique is not for you :).

One can get very high end frags if they can trade enough smaller, less expensive frags for one. Another way that we "have power to bring prices down" is to get together with some local folks and all pitch in for a group buy, aka "grow-out" of a high end coral. Four people can each pitch in $30-40 and get a really nice coral that can be fragged-out to the other participants. Of course, that person who is going to host the coral should know what they are doing with water parameters, coral care/feeding, etc.

Last edited:

Pruett-nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old post but geez people have gotten redicoulous with frag pricing . Completely greedy and senseless in my opinion . You have to be very wealthy or not eat for a week to buy that new colored frag . Why in the world can't hobbyist help other like minded hobbyist instead of trying to fund their greed. To the people that think you have to be rich to have a saltwater tank is full of it .

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old post but geez people have gotten redicoulous with frag pricing . Completely greedy and senseless in my opinion . You have to be very wealthy or not eat for a week to buy that new colored frag . Why in the world can't hobbyist help other like minded hobbyist instead of trying to fund their greed. To the people that think you have to be rich to have a saltwater tank is full of it .
I am not trying to defend the pricing, and yes this is an old post, but just remember that the people that get the corals that make us all OOh and aaah, have to buy close to 100+ boxes of corals before they get 1 of those pieces and they they capitalize it....it allows them to buy a portion of the next 100+ boxes to get another killer piece. Not only that, but now the people overseas know what we are looking for and also have increased prices 10-100x and it trickles to us....then the people that can afford the $1200.00 booger size piece try to recoup the money...

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed! A price tag seems to translate to beauty to a lot of people. If you didn't put 3 months wage into your tank, it's not worthy which is incredibly sad and frustrating.

But overpricing is only part of the problem.
I see stunning tanks full of cheap, yet BEAUTIFUL coral and fish, but they don't get the same amount of love from others as tanks with $2000 lights, $1000 skimmers and $1000 frags.
This hobby as a whole really needs to show some love to those who can't or don't want to pay these ridiculous prices. This hobby is all about showing off our cool collections, but we need to show some love to the more humble reefs. I'd much rather see a tank fully decked out in $20 coral than see a tank with one or two $500 corals.
I'm colourblind, so I obviously don't have the best judgment in colour, but some of those "high end" and "limited edition" frags are quite dull and not very appealing.
Like I often say, I'd rather not sell a kidney to fund my hobby.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! A price tag seems to translate to beauty to a lot of people. If you didn't put 3 months wage into your tank, it's not worthy which is incredibly sad and frustrating.

But overpricing is only part of the problem.
I see stunning tanks full of cheap, yet BEAUTIFUL coral and fish, but they don't get the same amount of love from others as tanks with $2000 lights, $1000 skimmers and $1000 frags.
This hobby as a whole really needs to show some love to those who can't or don't want to pay these ridiculous prices. This hobby is all about showing off our cool collections, but we need to show some love to the more humble reefs. I'd much rather see a tank fully decked out in $20 coral than see a tank with one or two $500 corals.
I'm colourblind, so I obviously don't have the best judgment in colour, but some of those "high end" and "limited edition" frags are quite dull and not very appealing.
Like I often say, I'd rather not sell a kidney to fund my hobby.
I totally agree with you!
Also just a heads up. They do make glasses now that can give a person who is color blind the ability to see color. My friend tried them on. He said "there was some color, but I must be really color blind and it might work better for someone else."

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe you guys can start a showcase for low end, low tech tanks. I'd enjoy it. I think there are lots of people too shy to show off amazing tanks because they don't have high dollar equipment.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have saved a lot of money by buying second hand and DIY.

Second hand items save >50% sticker price

DIY I've save >75% and more on some things.

There are ways to save yet have what you need.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree with you!
Also just a heads up. They do make glasses now that can give a person who is color blind the ability to see color. My friend tried them on. He said "there was some color, but I must be really color blind and it might work better for someone else."

I've seen them. They cost quite a bit and as you said they don't work for everyone so I'm a little skeptical. I've heard a lot of good things about them though.
If I could test them before buying and they worked for me, no way I'd pass up on them! I'd also be a bit worried the novelty would wear off eventually. They'd make reading test results a lot easier though [emoji23]
As an artist, I'm sure it would be interesting to see my work how everyone else does too haha.

And to keep this comment on topic I think I should mention as hobbyist it's up to us to draw a line in the sand. Prices keep going up, but it's up to us to bring them.
I understand how much time, effort, knowledge and luck goes into keeping a rare and delicate coral vs a cheap and hardy coral, but supply and demand is the ultimate price dictator. We as a community really do have the power to lower prices if we just say no to $1000 slivers of frags.

Pruett-nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have saved a lot of money by buying second hand and DIY.

Second hand items save >50% sticker price

DIY I've save >75% and more on some things.

There are ways to save yet have what you need.
Not really equipment I mean but your right . For the less wealthy hobbyist it helps and gives more a sense of pride for something you created yourself . My complaint is hobbyist that buy a frag for 500.00 and grows it out with not a lot of work then sells 10 drags for 500.00 a piece . I call that greed and another reason some have to buy wild caught corals . I have seen hobbyist give others drags to help them get started then others try to make a fortune off their hobby . Why question is why .

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really equipment I mean but your right . For the less wealthy hobbyist it helps and gives more a sense of pride for something you created yourself . My complaint is hobbyist that buy a frag for 500.00 and grows it out with not a lot of work then sells 10 drags for 500.00 a piece . I call that greed and another reason some have to buy wild caught corals . I have seen hobbyist give others drags to help them get started then others try to make a fortune off their hobby . Why question is why .

The thing about that is I don't see many of those high end corals as colonies. More like mini frags. I don't see the point in that.

I do see value in buying 100% aquaculture coral grown from a reputable grower. Your getting a coral adapted to captive conditions and know it can do well. I am willing to pay more for that. I would never pay $100's for a single tiny frag.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you guys can start a showcase for low end, low tech tanks. I'd enjoy it. I think there are lots of people too shy to show off amazing tanks because they don't have high dollar equipment.
The most expensive things on my tank is the stand. I don't won't a wobbly 400+ pound of water, glass, and rocks to come crashing down in my living room. That was $250. T5s $230. Skimmer $180. Every thing else aside of LR is under $60. I did have a gold torch that got melted by Chemi Pure Elite that was $95, but the thing was amazing with an orangey gold glow to it that is harvested in saltwater croc infested waters halfway around the world from me. So I had no problem paying up for it.

TRPlacek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im pretty sure someone had already covered this but bottom line is this is a "hobby" a "want" not a "need". And like any other hobby most people want the best of the best and the best of the best is going to cost more because of demand! If you can't or don't want to spend the money on higher demand coral then go for the cheaper lower demand pieces out there. There are plenty of them and you CAN have a beautiful tank for less money.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im pretty sure someone had already covered this but bottom line is this is a "hobby" a "want" not a "need". And like any other hobby most people want the best of the best and the best of the best is going to cost more because of demand! If you can't or don't want to spend the money on higher demand coral then go for the cheaper lower demand pieces out there. There are plenty of them and you CAN have a beautiful tank for less money.
You CAN have a great smaller tank like you said. Just there is garbage equipment made to have on a smaller tank. It is more of a push the product out that is way below standards vs. making something that works somewhat efficiently. For example a 5w UV sterilizer vs a 18w. Then there is the pump you will need for it. I dont know of any cheap pump that allows a person to adjust it from 1000gph to 5gph.

TRPlacek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You CAN have a great smaller tank like you said. Just there is garbage equipment made to have on a smaller tank. It is more of a push the product out that is way below standards vs. making something that works somewhat efficiently. For example a 5w UV sterilizer vs a 18w. Then there is the pump you will need for it. I dont know of any cheap pump that allows a person to adjust it from 1000gph to 5gph.
I was referring to the higher cost of coral vs cheaper pieces but same goes for tanks and equipment. If you were talking about food or clothing or shelter being too high priced then I would be more sympathetic. There are several things in life that I really "want" but can not have at this time in my life but I don't complain about it. I work harder to get those luxuries.

Back