this hobby is ridiculous

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their website is crazy, BTW. Ah yes, the wild crinoid on the reef definitely is doing so well because of your 200$ piece of calcium. That isn't even a coral. They also have a picture of a mushroom and a vaguely unhappy hammer.

And their "white paper". First of all, the background is black. Misleading. Second, what even is this? They're trying to pass this off as a scientific report, when it's just misleading and self-promotional. I'm sure this was peer-reviewed...

Also is that rampant hair algae?

IMG_4772.png

Why would you use that imagine for marketing a coral plug lol

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also is that rampant hair algae?

IMG_4772.png

Why would you use that imagine for marketing a coral plug lol

Looks like it. Also, why cespitularia? That's not even remotely stoney. My guess is that some Instagram "entrepreneur" saw how expensive this hobby was, and decided to cash in on it without doing any research.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how they're calling themselves the "new gold standard" in reef keeping. Like there's anyone who actually bought this except for that one guy on this thread testing it out and maybe like 4 gullible newbies.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wowwwwwwww, it’s 50% off now…
what a steal for $99.50!

IMG_7498.png

lol

Of course it is. They can't sell it right now, so they've figured that doing a sale will get some off the shelves. Little do they realize that the only sale that will get me to buy it is 99.5% off. It's just a fancy frag plug, I wouldn't buy it for more than $1, especially given the test in this thread.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course it is. They can't sell it right now, so they've figured that doing a sale will get some off the shelves. Little do they realize that the only sale that will get me to buy it is 99.5% off. It's just a fancy frag plug, I wouldn't buy it for more than $1, especially given the test in this thread.
I think its brilliant, how many businesses that you know that have a breakeven of 1 product sale without being more than a $40 investment for the sqaurespace page/store and some calcium.

Edit: nvm forgot about lemonade stand that sells by the pitcher.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how they're calling themselves the "new gold standard" in reef keeping. Like there's anyone who actually bought this except for that one guy on this thread testing it out and maybe like 4 gullible newbies.
And that one guy didn't even buy it, LOL, I won it in a raffle.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sucks as a frag plug cuz it's so light and there's no boss at the bottom to stick it in a hole so it ends up blowing around. I wouldn't even buy it for a dollar.

OP
OP
ChiCity

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
it’s crazy that you can just declare bankruptcy…
… after a “bone”headed idea like this!
(absolve me of my sins and poor financial decisions)

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll see your 2,000 power cable and raise you a $4,500 HDMI cable.

LOL I'm into audio and as a result would often spend time on audiophile forums... yeah some people would actually believe that these expensive cables made a difference. I think i remember some guy doing a blind test and one of the cables was his coat hanger... no one could tell the difference between the coat hanger and the $3k cables

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I'm into audio and as a result would often spend time on audiophile forums... yeah some people would actually believe that these expensive cables made a difference. I think i remember some guy doing a blind test and one of the cables was his coat hanger... no one could tell the difference between the coat hanger and the $3k cables
Was that you that came today and bought the green slimer? (on the normal frag plug)
(It was part of my "test")

20230817_165829.jpg

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that was me. Thanks again. The hammers are already opening up nicely although i may need to reposition a few of them due to too much flow.

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More expensive cables do sometimes make a difference. Blue Jean cables with their welded. Banana ends are actually quite better at making contact and surviving certain conditions.

Mono HDMI cables are also pretty crappy when it comes to full HDMI 2.1 48gig bandwidth and their optical HDMI cables have a ton of handshake issues.

Fairly enough good cables aren’t that much pricier usually… and no one should spend $80 on an 8 foot HDMI cable. That’s silly

There is a line between cheap and quality though

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough there may be some cables that are just built cheap and are unreliable... but it does not cost a lot to get a decent cable. Some of the fairy dust cables are priced at thousands of $$... often more than people spend on their speakers. There are too many blind reviews proving this is all snake oil... and especially with digital signal. Other than perhaps a bandwidth issue ... or an older format cable... you are either receiving the signal or you're not. There is no difference in sound or visual quality. Only perceived quality based on what people spent.

Back