Thoughts on adding two extra powerheads to help with my new-ish tank Cyano bloom and dead spots?

Ironic_Water

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the moment I have a nice thick mat of dark-purple cyanobacteria blanketing my tank. I have two Red Sea gyre powerheads pointed at each other from opposite ends of the tank - but there are dead spots along the edges of the aquarium, I assume because Gyre pumps are so directional.

Since high flow helps with cyano blooms, I was thinking of adding two Nero powerheads (Nero 5's maybe?) along the back wall of my Red Sea G2 250, so that I have two gyres pushing water length wise (like 4 feet), while the Nero's could be perpendicular.

Here is a really crappy mockup of what I'm talking about. Red boxes are gyres, purple circles are proposed Nero's, and the brown stars are obvious dead spots.

So, would it be overall a waste to add two cone-flow powerheads to the cyano-ridden tank to cover the gyre powerhead's dead spots?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you ever considered a couple sea swirls with tunze?

pricy but much better random flow

1683297502970.png

Upvote 0

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the moment I have a nice thick mat of dark-purple cyanobacteria blanketing my tank. I have two Red Sea gyre powerheads pointed at each other from opposite ends of the tank - but there are dead spots along the edges of the aquarium, I assume because Gyre pumps are so directional.

Since high flow helps with cyano blooms, I was thinking of adding two Nero powerheads (Nero 5's maybe?) along the back wall of my Red Sea G2 250, so that I have two gyres pushing water length wise (like 4 feet), while the Nero's could be perpendicular.

Here is a really crappy mockup of what I'm talking about. Red boxes are gyres, purple circles are proposed Nero's, and the brown stars are obvious dead spots.

So, would it be overall a waste to add two cone-flow powerheads to the cyano-ridden tank to cover the gyre powerhead's dead spots?

How much of the Nero flow is going to be blocked by your aquascape? I'm all about adding as much flow as your tank and inhabitants can handle, but a lot of factors come into play for placement.

What about 2 more gyres mounted vertically in the back corners directed towards the front? Or, if your gyres are Hydros compatible, look into a WaveEngine v2 maybe? Then you can really do some cool flow patterns and get water moving and crashing around. If you need to, you could add 2 more Hydros compatible pumps on the back wall and have them all work in concert with each other for some REALLY cool patterns.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back