Thoughts on my my livestock list for a 15g nano tank?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you have a lot more space than me for fish to hide, so that might be why you have such great success, along with the pair of clowns just being chill. I think I have to get a clown, because IMO, they are one of the most stunning fish in your tank. Maybe besides the royal gramma, but still. BTW, gorgeous tank!
Thank you for the kind words, I’m with you on the clowns.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the kind words, I’m with you on the clowns.
I guess I will just take the risk. They are just too beautiful to miss out on. If I find they are too aggressive, I will take out the firefish, and find something to do with it. I hope I don't have to though because I have no idea what I would do. Maybe return it to my LFS for store credit, or just give it back to them for free. When I go to pick up fish in 2 weeks, I will ask them if they know of a pair that seems less aggressive than usual, and I will get that. I hope that my clown fish turns out like yours.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 2 for 11 in my current setup over the course of 18 months, so don't feel like you are making a permanent decision...

That's right 9 fish deaths due to carpet surfing 2, gorilla crab 2, and ich 5. It is a reality in this hobby.
Sorry for your losses.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I appreciate that. Just like any other pets (except for parrots and tortoises) the reality is, we generally outlive them.
That's true, when I was younger, I had a beta, and it was from petsmart and of course it was sick. It lasted about a year and when it did die, I cried for a couple days, ( I was 8). But soon after, I managed to move on. But parrots and tortises can be life long companions.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so lost. I don't know what to do. Would I be better off with just ONE clown fish or a pair? I want there to be no aggression, but I read that 1 single clownfish can get mad because they can't find a mate and start attacking other fish. Is this true?

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are individuals. There are no absolute statements about their behaviors.
Yes, while that is true, clownfish are known to be aggressive, and any aggression shown could easily be how my clownish acts. While it's true that I might not experience aggression because he can't find his mate, it's still possible that he will still be aggressive.

anoel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

I am starting up my first tank in the saltwater world, and the 15G tank, is currently cycling, but I have a set date of when I am getting fish. I am still kind of all over the place with my livestock list. I know a few things that I definitely want, but I will list everything below.

Livestock that I think I am going to 100% put in:

- A pair of ocellarius clown fish
- 1 red firefish
- 3-4 blue legged hermit crabs
- 2-3 Nassarius snails
- 2-4 Turbo Snails

Livestock that I really want to put in, but I might not be able to, because the tank is to small (need your opinion on this):

- 1 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp

Livestock that I will put in if I can, but not a big deal if I can't:

-1 sea urchin ( either, tuxedo, royal, or pincushion)

I hope this isn't to complicated to understand, but really, anything on this list can be changed, but some stuff I just like better. For my first tank, the last thing I want is to overstock it, and end up in a huge problem when my tank is on the verge of crashing. If you have any different lists or suggestions, please feel free to leave then below, and please tell me what I can keep in my tank from above.

Thanks everyone.
I may be too late responding but I recently lost my purple firefish two days ago that I had almost 2 months due to what I believe was major aggressiveness (clownfish was actually biting my firefish) from my 1 clown. I am not sure if a pair would be better but I had both my clown and firefish about the same amount of time and out of nowhere the clown started being aggresive to my firefish.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be too late responding but I recently lost my purple firefish two days ago that I had almost 2 months due to what I believe was major aggressiveness (clownfish was actually biting my firefish) from my 1 clown. I am not sure if a pair would be better but I had both my clown and firefish about the same amount of time and out of nowhere the clown started being aggresive to my firefish.
I think that is maybe because the clown was looking for a mate, as he matured. Sorry for your loss.

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 clown or two, it doesn't matter. They will likely claim the whole 15 gallons as their territory. Get a few different Gobies/Blennies instead. Obviously not a sure thing, but in a pair or not clowns get more aggressive as they mature.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back