Thoughts on my my livestock list for a 15g nano tank?

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I didn’t think you would take offense. I’ll make sure I don’t joke around with you in the future.
No, I didn't take offense, I just wondered why you posted that. That's all.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tried the macro for fish fish but it could work. The more natural the setting the more comfortable the fish.
I might, but it will take nutrients out of the water, which I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing with corals. Will the morals use nitrates?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are a little freaked out by the bigger cleaner shrimp, get a pederson shrimp. They are not shy and will clean your hand in the tank. Really beautiful.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
KP aquatic frequently has them, but your lfs should be able to order one. Just be prepared to open the bag under water. (Drain as much as you can first) They will launch out!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

I am starting up my first tank in the saltwater world, and the 15G tank, is currently cycling, but I have a set date of when I am getting fish. I am still kind of all over the place with my livestock list. I know a few things that I definitely want, but I will list everything below.

Livestock that I think I am going to 100% put in:

- A pair of ocellarius clown fish
- 1 red firefish
- 3-4 blue legged hermit crabs
- 2-3 Nassarius snails
- 2-4 Turbo Snails

Livestock that I really want to put in, but I might not be able to, because the tank is to small (need your opinion on this):

- 1 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp

Livestock that I will put in if I can, but not a big deal if I can't:

-1 sea urchin ( either, tuxedo, royal, or pincushion)

I hope this isn't to complicated to understand, but really, anything on this list can be changed, but some stuff I just like better. For my first tank, the last thing I want is to overstock it, and end up in a huge problem when my tank is on the verge of crashing. If you have any different lists or suggestions, please feel free to leave then below, and please tell me what I can keep in my tank from above.

Thanks everyone.
Looks good to me! My 15 nano is 3 hermits, 2 snails, a tiger conch, a coral banded shrimp, emerald crab and two clowns

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP aquatic frequently has them, but your lfs should be able to order one. Just be prepared to open the bag under water. (Drain as much as you can first) They will launch out!
I will research it! Thanks for the suggestion!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will not hide. Very open. Nothing will bother it from your stock list. It will tickle when it cleans your hand. Don't be afraid of it at all.
Ok! Thanks for the help!!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I get clownfish?? I don't know, I really want them, but I don't know what other fish I can keep in the tank besides a firefish. I know there is a blenny, but I don't really like its looks, gobies are cool, but I am not looking for a pistol shrimp, plus there is not a lot of sand for it to soft around, and I don't really like how they create mounds around the sand bed, and then I can't put a lot of corals in the tank because they might get sand in them. Is there any other fish I can keep in the tank instead of clownfish?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I get clownfish?? I don't know, I really want them, but I don't know what other fish I can keep in the tank besides a firefish. I know there is a blenny, but I don't really like its looks, gobies are cool, but I am not looking for a pistol shrimp, plus there is not a lot of sand for it to soft around, and I don't really like how they create mounds around the sand bed, and then I can't put a lot of corals in the tank because they might get sand in them. Is there any other fish I can keep in the tank instead of clownfish?
I know some people dislike them but I wouldn’t have a saltwater tank without a pair.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some people dislike them but I wouldn’t have a saltwater tank without a pair.
I know, that's the whole reason I got this tank. They are so iconic from the movie, and they are stunning fish. But of course they have to be aggressive and ruin everything. Is there any way to make them less aggressive, I have heard from some peoples experiences, a well fed, slightly fat fish is less aggressive. I don't know if that works but, maybe it does.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two ocellaris clowns that are not aggressive to their tank mates and I have never been bitten when I put my hand in the tank. But all fish are individuals. I would highly recommend against maroon clowns, I had them over a decade ago and every fish I put in was killed. Little demons.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two ocellaris clowns that are not aggressive to their tank mates and I have never been bitten when I put my hand in the tank. But all fish are individuals. I would highly recommend against maroon clowns, I had them over a decade ago and every fish I put in was killed. Little demons.
I swear, everybody has different experiences, and I don't know if I should take the risk, and hope that they are like yours. But yes, I am getting ocellaris clowns, and I am definitely not getting maroon clowns. IMO, ocellaris clowns look better than maroon clowns.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear, everybody has different experiences, and I don't know if I should take the risk, and hope that they are like yours. But yes, I am getting ocellaris clowns, and I am definitely not getting maroon clowns. IMO, ocellaris clowns look better than maroon clowns.
Ya even the designer clowns are pretty but I only want what you would see on a reef in my tank. Mine are hosted by my duncan coral.
4F589F0B-A575-4D7D-B088-CE1C8C02FAE7.jpeg

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya even the designer clowns are pretty but I only want what you would see on a reef in my tank. Mine are hosted by my duncan coral.
4F589F0B-A575-4D7D-B088-CE1C8C02FAE7.jpeg
Does the Duncan care? I know some corals might get annoyed if the clown fish host on them. What are your tank mates for the clownish, and what size tank is it. Sorry if I am asking alot of questions, but I am curious on why yours are so peaceful.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the Duncan care? I know some corals might get annoyed if the clown fish host on them. What are your tank mates for the clownish, and what size tank is it. Sorry if I am asking alot of questions, but I am curious on why yours are so peaceful.
No, the duncan does not mind but the clowns are bummed when it retracts for the night. It’s a 32g . If you press on my tank thread you can get the details. You can’t ask to many questions, that’s why I’m here.
11F13D8F-75CA-4D75-BF22-FEEE4C6F2BEE.jpeg

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the duncan does not mind but the clowns are bummed when it retracts for the night. It’s a 32g . If you press on my tank thread you can get the details. You can’t ask to many questions, that’s why I’m here.
11F13D8F-75CA-4D75-BF22-FEEE4C6F2BEE.jpeg
So you have a lot more space than me for fish to hide, so that might be why you have such great success, along with the pair of clowns just being chill. I think I have to get a clown, because IMO, they are one of the most stunning fish in your tank. Maybe besides the royal gramma, but still. BTW, gorgeous tank!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back