Thoughts on the new BRS? (ECOTECH, NEPTUNE, MARINE DEPOT, BRS)

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you’re saying there’s no evidence of venture capital being a good thing for ANY BUSINESS in history, because your Company didn’t….
So tell me what you know on the subject.. Sports Authority, Circuit City,? Im always looking for knowledge from experienced investors.

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me this is my favorite hobby, but it is just A single hobby, I have many more. If this somehow makes the hobby unbearable then I will shut down my tank and shift my funds to another of the many hobbies I enjoy.

I don't think that will be the case. No one has such a Monopoly on this hobby that they can force anyone to buy their products. I only buy equipment because the price, function, and customer experience are what I want. If these companies can't meet that standard anymore I will but other equipment.

And I hope no one is forgetting the DIY roots of this hobby. I'm confident i can make a tank work without a single purpose built piece of reef equipment.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me this is my favorite hobby, but it is just A single hobby, I have many more. If this somehow makes the hobby unbearable then I will shut down my tank and shift my funds to another of the many hobbies I enjoy.

I don't think that will be the case. No one has such a Monopoly on this hobby that they can force anyone to buy their products. I only buy equipment because the price, function, and customer experience are what I want. If these companies can't meet that standard anymore I will but other equipment.

And I hope no one is forgetting the DIY roots of this hobby. I'm confident i can make a tank work without a single purpose built piece of reef equipment.
Remember in the day when people suspended an incandescent light bulb over their refugium for their Chaeto and had to *gasp* manually turn that light on and off for the photo period. Yup...we survived. I couldnt agree with you more.

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember in the day when people suspended an incandescent light bulb over their refugium for their Chaeto and had to *gasp* manually turn that light on and off for the photo period. Yup...we survived. I couldnt agree with you more.
I actually prefer a good amount of DIY in my hobbies. Sure it saves time to buy things off the shelf, but a lot of the satisfaction for.me is solving problems with my own 2 hands.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually prefer a good amount of DIY in my hobbies. Sure it saves time to buy things off the shelf, but a lot of the satisfaction for.me is solving problems with my own 2 hands.
I could not agree with you more...AGAIN. It is a big reason I dont have automated tested, automated cleaning...I want a hobby for something TO DO. If i wanted something to sit and watch..i would buy and watch...oh what is that new invention all the kids are talking about..A TV!!!

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No..if it was that level, I would go out and bash the lights with a bat. That is not what I am saying or doing at all. I am in fact passing on the lights to those who still want to be a part of the Ecotech world and let them enjoy the lights...because they are still good lights. I am just making the market based decision that I don't like the direction. If I am the only one..I am sure BRS will survive. If enough people voice their concern, maybe BRS will take notice and do something / change their course to provide some levels of comfort to their current clients.
That wasn’t aimed at your case in particular or I would have quoted your post. But I definitely believe after reading yours that you are jumping to some pretty major conclusions and decisions based on a 2 day old event.
Also, this isn’t a BRS thing. This is a Bertram thing. BRS are not calling the shots on acquisitions here and these aren’t hostile takeovers. These brands are jumping on a bandwagon that will most likely lead to greater innovation/profit/expansion on their ends and new competition from other organizations as two major competitors that basically held the market share on multiple fronts are now essentially on one team. Could that not be the case years from now? Maybe. But boycotting these companies for looking to grow is a bit rash I think.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*double shrug*

that’s just the MOST profitable companies and some of the largest innovators in the last decade or two. I can specifically talk about the construction industry which is my realm if you’d like, but it’ll mostly be regional to Texas
Those are companies that went out of business after Venture Capital sold them off, because they were left with no operating capital after their sell off. My point is this has nothing to do with a business you know. Its about investing, and successful investing involves leaving emotion, likes and dislikes out of it. Its about the money. I have investments im against ideologically , but they make money, and thats the purpose of investing. And i assure you, Bertram feels the same.

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy broken reefing gear just to see if I can fix it… ha, I like your mindset though. The knowledge doesn’t go away just because support does. I bet the most DIY setup in 2021 has more thought than most from 2011

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are companies that went out of business after Venture Capital sold them off, because they were left with no operating capital after their sell off. My point is this has nothing to do with a business you know. Its about investing, and successful investing involves leaving emotion, likes and dislikes out of it. Its about the money. I have investments im against ideologically , but they make money, and thats the purpose of investing. And i assure you, Bertram feels the same.
And sometimes those investments can spring forth something undeniable. A money injection or draw won’t kill a good innovative idea/company/person.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That wasn’t aimed at your case in particular or I would have quoted your post. But I definitely believe after reading yours that you are jumping to some pretty major conclusions and decisions based on a 2 day old event.
Also, this isn’t a BRS thing. This is a Bertram thing. BRS are not calling the shots on acquisitions here and these aren’t hostile takeovers. These brands are jumping on a bandwagon that will most likely lead to greater innovation/profit/expansion on their ends and new competition from other organizations as two major competitors that basically held the market share on multiple fronts are now essentially on one team. Could that not be the case years from now? Maybe. But boycotting these companies for looking to grow is a bit rash I think.
I work in this VC and PE industry and have worked with companies like Bertram. Nothing wrong with what they are doing..they are making money. But if you think this is about futhering the hobby..I most respectfully request you to have your head check (trying to be funny, not insulative). There is are major reasons these M&A are happening right now...1) expected tax rates going up across the board 2) expected capital gains rates going up on the wealthy 3) low interest rates which help with valuations. These are all factors that go into these types of decisions when a company like Bertram get involved and Bertram making the moves that they made over the last year. This is not some altruistic event. This is about good old fashioned green.

wall street top 100 movie quotes GIF

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do still have other chorces if you don't like Bertram Aquarium Sales &Co . Ive used GHL , Kessil and Tunze before all this nonsense, and saltwateraquarium.com has always been great to work with. So still more options out there.

For now….

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy broken reefing gear just to see if I can fix it… ha, I like your mindset though. The knowledge doesn’t go away just because support does. I bet the most DIY setup in 2021 has more thought than most from 2011
This summer, i got 3 used G3 XR15s over the summer, all for less than $250 each and an XR30 G4 for $350. Don’t forget the secondary market, because you can get great deals on premium gear from the last generation.

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This summer, i got 3 used G3 XR15s over the summer, all for less than $250 each and an XR30 G4 for $350. Don’t forget the secondary market, because you can get great deals on premium gear from the last generation.
Absolutely, I picked up 3 hydra 26HD for 50/per. 1 had a broken fan, 1 had a bad power supply, and the last one required some soldering but they’re all working well over my display months later

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work in this VC and PE industry and have worked with companies like Bertram. Nothing wrong with what they are doing..they are making money. But if you think this is about futhering the hobby..I most respectfully request you to have your head check (trying to be funny, not insulative). There is are major reasons these M&A are happening right now...1) expected tax rates going up across the board 2) expected capital gains rates going up on the wealthy 3) low interest rates which help with valuations. These are all factors that go into these types of decisions when a company like Bertram get involved and Bertram making the moves that they made over the last year. This is not some altruistic event. This is about good old fashioned green.

wall street top 100 movie quotes GIF
Someone who knows exactly what they are talking about. Bertram cares about reefing as much as they care about any of the industries they invest in. Not at all.

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone who knows exactly what they are talking about. Bertram cares about reefing as much as they care about any of the industries they invest in. Not at all.
Is anyone arguing that Bertram does care though? I don’t think anyone is that naive. Its not like Scripps invested. I’m sure we all hold stock in companies we don’t care about at all. It’s an opportunity on both sides, BRS will hopefully utilize it well and Bertram gains also.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone arguing that Bertram does care though? I don’t think anyone is that naive. Its not like Scripps invested. I’m sure we all hold stock in companies we don’t care about at all. It’s an opportunity on both sides, BRS will hopefully utilize it well and Bertram gains also.
Over It Reaction GIF

I said it before and I 'll say it again, you cant change a person's mind and it is tilting at windmiills to debate in the hopes of doing so. I'm out.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely, I picked up 3 hydra 26HD for 50/per. 1 had a broken fan, 1 had a bad power supply, and the last one required some soldering but they’re all working well over my display months later
Nice!

next weekend, i get a Red Sea Reefer 350, 2 Hydra 26s, 2 MP40s, ReefOcto Skimmer, all the live rock, 2 yellow tangs and rest of the gear all for free, because his wife hates it.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will all see in 3 to 5 years.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 34 14.8%
  • No

Votes: 169 73.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 26 11.4%
Back