Timed split ATU with a Kalk stirrer.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an Aqua Medic kalk stirrer on my 100 gallon and run my Tunze ATU through it. However even though have a lot of SPS and other hard corals I found my calcium was getting too high while running all my top up water through it.

I could have just put a simple timer on the ATU so it just run at night but that would mean my salinity going up and down like a yo-yo so not the best solution. What I needed was for my ATU to put my reservoir water through the kalc stirrer at night and for plain RO to be delivered during the day into my sump. This way it would give me a much more stable SG and still provide enough calcium for my corals. I also wanted whatever I came up with to be quite cheap

. What I hit on, with the help of a friend, was to have a 2 pump system with a digital LCD timer switch supplying 12v to 2 X 12v mini DC pumps. I was already using such a pump and know how good they are for such a small very inexpensive pump. I had an old Nokia 3pin 230v (UK voltage) to 12v DC 4.8w phone charger and all I had to do was remove the mini plug bare the wires and wire it into the switch timer. The 2 X 12v DC pumps were wired then into the switch timer. When completed one pipe from one pump was rooted into the sump and the other attached to my Kalk stirrer which in turn puts kalk into my sump. Then all I needed to do was programme the timer so kalk was delivered at night via one pump and pure RO during the day into the sump via the other pump.

Costs. UK pounds.
Digital LCD power timer switch. £7.99p delivered.
12V mini pump. £3.05p delivered.
Both above from the eBay.
Nokia 3pinUK phone charger I already had so free.
2 meters of 2 core bell wire 50p.

Total cost £11-54p

Switch timer.
20170205_190103_zpsh6nhwbgn.jpg

12v DC mini pump.
ATU%20pump_zps4jeocxkd.jpg

Reservoir with 2 mini pumps installed.
20170205_190130_zpsebbutkqq.jpg

Aqua Medic Kalk stirrer.
20170205_190227_zps9vt9jesm.jpg

I can now adjust the amount of kalc and therefore calcium etc to my tank by altering the times on the digital timer between the 2 pumps.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool "modern steampunk" solution!

It would have been possible to reduce the amount of kalk you're putting in the reactor to achieve a similar effect.

(It's also possible that it's just too soon to run a reactor like that – water changes might be taking care of things.)

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool "modern steampunk" solution!

It would have been possible to reduce the amount of kalk you're putting in the reactor to achieve a similar effect.

(It's also possible that it's just too soon to run a reactor like that – water changes might be taking care of things.)

Nope my tank uses a lot of calcium. Once RO is saturated with kalk then that's what you want to use really and I don't want to have to mess around with various amounts of Kalk powder when I can simply split the ATU output. Also adding Kalk at night is the best way to use it IMO as it helps stabilise the PH drop at night.

My 100 gallon reef.
20170124_143244_zpsk24zi0z5.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said, very cool solution!

Just didn't know if regulating the dose into the kalk stirrer had occured to you/anyone.

Doing so is really no trouble, presuming you test your reactor's output with an EC meter.

Do you measure your reactor's output with a mS meter, BTW, or how do you gauge when to recharge it?

Check out:
Measuring Kalk/Lime Reactor Output - Just Do It!

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said, very cool solution!

Just didn't know if regulating the dose into the kalk stirrer had occured to you/anyone.

Doing so is really no trouble, presuming you test your reactor's output with an EC meter.

Do you measure your reactor's output with a mS meter, BTW, or how do you gauge when to recharge it?

Check out:
Measuring Kalk/Lime Reactor Output - Just Do It!

I also run a Vertex calc reactor so I get the best of both worlds. I test my calc and KDH about every 4 to 6 weeks and adjust if necessary and it works for me. After all is said and done that's what matters to me. Others can add calc or kalk as it suits them. This is the way I do it I am not suggesting anybody follows my example it's just the way my solution works for me and it might be of interest to others, if so fine, if not no problem at all.

Back