Tips/Tricks to get fish to eat in QT

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help. I have a powder brown in qt since 3/29.

The powder brown came from a store known to have ich in the water. From day 1 I placed him in copper although he has no signs of ich.

I have failed to get him to eat. I have tried nori (with garlic drops) attached to a rock, pellet, and frozen Mysis shrimp.

He has not eaten for 3 days. On Saturday I did a 100% water change to get the copper out and tried frozen Mysis again with no luck.

Any tips or tricks to get him to eat before I start copper again?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live clam? Live brine? Live worms? Nutrimar ova? Flake? Different sized pellet? Frozen spiralina brine? Sometimes it just takes finding the one thing they "like" and expanding from there. Although, I just lost a regal in QT that wouldn't eat anything I tried...and I tried everything.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure he's not eating? I find that even if a fish is refusing to eat while you watch, they often start picking at it once you walk away. Try moving as far from the tank as possible and watching to see if he starts to pick at the nori or mysis. Live foods are also and option. They almost always elicit a feeding response.

OP
OP
Chitown tom

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure he's not eating? I find that even if a fish is refusing to eat while you watch, they often start picking at it once you walk away. Try moving as far from the tank as possible and watching to see if he starts to pick at the nori or mysis. Live foods are also and option. They almost always elicit a feeding response.

I have the tank wrapped in cardboard because I did not want to add stress to him while in qt. The nori defiantly does not looked touched.

Tangs usually produce some good sized excrement and the bottom of the tank is pretty spotless. I left the Mysis in the tank last night when I went to bed so I will check it when I get home from work.

Usually tangs are veracious eaters chasing the Mysis and he shows zero interest. :(

tcampbell23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first bought my powder blue it took him nearly a week to start eating. I tried everything from garlic soaked mysis, brine, and nori. What eventually did the trick was the red seaweed that comes in the LRS Variety pack. It's nutrient rich and extremely messy (meaning be conservative in the amount you use) but he loved it and it sparked his feeding interest. They are a harder fish to get eating but he will come around. Good luck!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, red nori can be very tempting to tangs for sure.

OP
OP
Chitown tom

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to the LFS looking for the LRS variety pack and of course that's the one they don't have.

Picked up some Rods food for the clowns and made them happy lol!

While talking to the guy he suggested a series of 7 fw dips. He says he does that to all the powder brown/blue tangs that come in and that gets them to eat.

It seems pretty harsh to me especially since he does not show any symptoms. But it did get me thinking he might have something that I cant see so I started the first dose of prazi just in case.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of anyone purposely stressing a fish out to get a feeding response. Maybe try garlic first [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

OP
OP
Chitown tom

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to another LFS last night and picked up the LRS and it struck out too.

I even put some drops of garlic on it. The lightning maroons in with the tang loved it but he did not touch it.

I am going to hatch some baby brine shrimp tonight to see if he will eat that.

Could he have some sort of aliment that is causing him not to eat?

He has no signs of anything, no flashing, regular breathing, ect.

I dosed first dose of prazi on 4/3.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Lamarck angel that wouldn't eat for a week, finally got it to take some random, cheap flake food that I had in a box of stuff that someone gave me. Within a week from that, it was eating everything. Keep trying different things, and hope something piques it's interest. Brine might be hit or miss for a tang (mine don't touch it, I think it's too small for them), can you get live worms or a couple live clams?

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to another LFS last night and picked up the LRS and it struck out too.

I even put some drops of garlic on it. The lightning maroons in with the tang loved it but he did not touch it.

I am going to hatch some baby brine shrimp tonight to see if he will eat that.

Could he have some sort of aliment that is causing him not to eat?

He has no signs of anything, no flashing, regular breathing, ect.

I dosed first dose of prazi on 4/3.

What is the name of your LFS?

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish is fat and healthy one week without eating won't kill the fish.Some of my fish take them 2 weeks to starting eating
Sorry i don't think there's a tricks to making the fish to eat

OP
OP
Chitown tom

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hatched some baby brine shrimp and threw them into the qt.

The lightning maroons went crazy chasing them!

The powder brown just kept patrolling the tank.

Another strike out :(

OP
OP
Chitown tom

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a temporary tank that has been holding my livestock since I took down the main display and startered rebuilding it last year.

The temporary tank does not have the best maintence schedule on it lol and one of the reasons for the rebuild was the takeover of hair algae.

I plucked off a good size clump and rubber banded it to a piece of rubble rock and threw it into the qt. I started getting ready for work and decided to peek into the tank before I went upstairs and to my amazement the powder brown was picking at the algae!! :eek:

Perhaps he only likes the live stuff or he finally got hungry!!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a temporary tank that has been holding my livestock since I took down the main display and startered rebuilding it last year.

The temporary tank does not have the best maintence schedule on it lol and one of the reasons for the rebuild was the takeover of hair algae.

I plucked off a good size clump and rubber banded it to a piece of rubble rock and threw it into the qt. I started getting ready for work and decided to peek into the tank before I went upstairs and to my amazement the powder brown was picking at the algae!! :eek:

Perhaps he only likes the live stuff or he finally got hungry!!

Good deal! :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 87 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back