To Many Mushrooms

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1; cut em off the rock (buy cutting the rock) glue them onto a piece of LR and sell/trade them to the LFS as shroom rocks or sell them over the internet without gluing them onto LR. If you can't find a market, Kalk paste will take them out, but it takes 2 or 3 applications to get em knocked down.

kellyjn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Joe's Juice or any similar Aiptasia remover.

If you have alot of shrooms, cutting the rock won't be an option. Any little part of the foot that is missed will just become another shroom eventually.

OP
OP
L

Lenny

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! One rock is the size of a basketball. Can I take the rock out of the tank and put it in RO/DI fresh water? Will that ruin the rock?

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't ruin the rock, but will kill any bacteria or other living creatures that are in or on the LR.

patent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't ruin the rock, but will kill any bacteria or other living creatures that are in or on the LR.

If you leave it in there long enough you will turn the live rock into dead rock and the dieoff can start a cycle. How big of a deal that is depends on how big your tank is in relation to the rock.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! One rock is the size of a basketball. Can I take the rock out of the tank and put it in RO/DI fresh water? Will that ruin the rock?

If you can get the rock out full of mushrooms you could just take whole rock up to the LFS and trade for new rock + something something else.

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two threads on the site about this, and received 0 help. Mainly, you are screwed.

What I do is take the rock out, chisel them off the rock, and then treat that area with a kalk paste, and then rinse w/freshwater.

Nastly little buggers. My new tank just has a few left that need to die. :D

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Joe's Juice or any similar Aiptasia remover.

If you have alot of shrooms, cutting the rock won't be an option. Any little part of the foot that is missed will just become another shroom eventually.

If you can get the rock out full of mushrooms you could just take whole rock up to the LFS and trade for new rock + something something else.

Definitely agreed with these two - #1 make sure if you remove the mushroom nothing is left because it will regrow!! #2 sell/trade the rock or if you take the rock out chisel and shave it all off...rinse with saltwater and place back in tank if you are looking to keep the rock. A friend of mine was in the same boat with massive softball sized ones and larger all through out his tank...he grabbed a hammer, screwdriver, chisel, razor blade, laid the rocks on a towel and went to town. His tank looks amazing now...but it took some work.

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinsing with saltwater is good...but freshwater works fine, just be careful so that you only lose part of your rock...I had one corner bleach out where I had a ton of shrooms come off, but other than that everything was fine. No shrooms to speak of on that rock now either!

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 61 48.0%
  • Full frame

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 46 36.2%
  • All of the above

Votes: 22 17.3%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back