To nem or not to nem that is the question

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have the bug bad. I spend all my spare time day dreaming on my tank. I am wondering if I want to do a nem or not. I only have a 25 gallon but it’s got a good amount of rock work and I think it wouldn’t screw with too much. My ask is those with smaller tanks or just opinions what would you do?

I just love the idea of a nem but I also love the idea of all my other coral not getting stung to death or being nuked if something went wrong.

also not goin to add it for a while until I mix my own water etc and feel comfortable. Trying to plan ahead

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mini maxi carpet is awesome, I got one for the price of a rock flower the other day, as the lfs just thought it was a rock flower. Rock flower nems are great as well, and do wonderful in small tanks. I have lord knows how many, ive long lost count.

Jared Bryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they sand dwelling? Haven’t seen them much in terms of stores. Always btas or sunburst
Yep. Here are mine. I have 6 and 4 sexy shrimp never leave them.

PXL_20220910_223730991.jpg PXL_20221029_001101217.jpg

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 again to the mini maxi, they rarely eat fish like large carpets do, and come in very nice colors and most are very affordable.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had a 25, I would consider a smaller LTA for it. I find them superior to BTA in pretty much every way.
i used to do this in my smaller tank, but LTAs grow way too fast. Over the course of a year mine usually got to 12"+ so i usually recommend btas now because at least you can detach them and sell or give them away. The ltas would always get too large and end up stinging something to death

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they sand dwelling? Haven’t seen them much in terms of stores. Always btas or sunburst
Yes, then prefer to root their foot in the sand back under a rock if possible. They are prone to moving if you change your flow, but that shouldn't happen often in a 25g. Not much to mess with.

Most clowns love them, I have never experienced LTA on coal aggression either. I've got mushrooms gorgs and zoas all that touch the LTA.

They can get pretty big after a while, but make a great "show piece" for a smaller tank.

As with all nems, you'll need a mature tank, good lighting, and stable water parameters.

RFA and Mini carpets are also an option, but don't tickle the anenome bug for many.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used to do this in my smaller tank, but LTAs grow way too fast. Over the course of a year mine usually got to 12"+ so i usually recommend btas now because at least you can detach them and sell or give them away. The ltas would always get too large and end up stinging something to death
Depends on the footprint of a 25.

I'd have no issue having a 10" LTA in an im25 lagoon.

If you feed them, they will grow fast. Only consuming Light/occasionally catching what floats by shouldn't have them growing a foot in a year.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the footprint of a 25.

I'd have no issue having a 10" LTA in an im25 lagoon.

If you feed them, they will grow fast. Only consuming Light/occasionally catching what floats by shouldn't have them growing a foot in a year.
I have a waterbox peninsula 25. Below is current set up

Attachments

• DD45651F-A765-4219-ABB6-5253BF85C5CB.jpeg
    DD45651F-A765-4219-ABB6-5253BF85C5CB.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 48

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I barely ever intentionally feed my nems they just always grow, I have an easier time now with btas. I do love lta dont get me wrong, just I found myself having to trade them in too often

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk if I would put an lta in this setup, too much stuff on the sandbed and low rock. Because it is a peninsula though, is the other side still visible to you at all or is it against a wall?

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk if I would put an lta in this setup, too much stuff on the sandbed and low rock. Because it is a peninsula though, is the other side still visible to you at all or is it against a wall?
It’s against a wall :/ ya it may be too big. I was hoping to put one on the arch and have it like it or on the right side. Maybe the carpet or flower is best if I do it

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s against a wall :/ ya it may be too big. I was hoping to put one on the arch and have it like it or on the right side. Maybe the carpet or flower is best if I do it
the anemones will move like 99.99% of the time from where you put it regardless of the species so be warned. Maxi minis and rock flower move less than others in my experience

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty setup.

It really depends on what look you're going for. I love the look of a big nem, but there are obviously concerns for the other inhabitants.

That rockwork doesn't lend itself well to either BTA or LTA in the mixed reef. Having no control of where they want to be, makes it hard to plan anything.

Some BTA are known to go on a death march for no reason. Some will nestle up next to a coral without a problem. There is no telling.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like most of this hobby plan all you want but really it’s a shot in the dark haha. Ya I don’t know if I could pull off the nem but there are just such nice ones at my LFS that it always tempts me.

maybe I will look into the carpets they are pretty cool but look kinda like Yumas. I wanted something that was very unique looking like the BTA

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 175 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back