To nem or not to nem that is the question

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like most of this hobby plan all you want but really it’s a shot in the dark haha. Ya I don’t know if I could pull off the nem but there are just such nice ones at my LFS that it always tempts me.

maybe I will look into the carpets they are pretty cool but look kinda like Yumas. I wanted something that was very unique looking like the BTA
Mini maxi carpets are what you're looking for. . .

Carpets is a Whole other conversation completely.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the mini maxi. We’ll see I’ll try to see them in person. If they are to Yuma shroom like then I’ll probably pass. But it would be cool to have crabs in there or something

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently keeping a BTA in a 10 gallon tank, but it's also pretty much the only thing in the tank save for a zoa frag and a tiny false percula clown. The tank has also been running for a over a year and is fairly mature having started with media/bacteria from my 4 year old main display. I opted not to put the BTA in my main display because it's chock-full of corals and I couldn't be sure it would stay put. Now with the 10 gallon I can let it hopefully settle in and try to build around it (albeit knowing it could move again at any time).

Looking at the picture of your tank, I think you could make it work with a BTA if you really wanted to, with the caveat that it might move on you and sting some of your other corals. However, it doesn't look like your tank is that jam packed yet so you have some real estate to work with. I would be more concerned with how old/mature the tank is.

As others have already pointed out, there are easier options such as rock flower nems and mini-maxes, but there's nothing quite like the look of a BTA imo.

Here's mine in the 10 gallon when I first added him. He's since moved around a bit but settled in a spot just a bit above this one in the rockwork.
20221227_170026.jpg

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do really love the look of them. It’s one of the reasons I got into it.

I guess I’ll just have to start another tank or just take a risk and move corals if it moves. I’m sitting next to it 8-10 hours a day so I’m not too worried about it going unchecked if it moves

Jared Bryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I guess I’ll just have to start another tank or just take a risk and move corals if it moves. I’m sitting next to it 8-10 hours a day so I’m not too worried about it going unchecked if it moves
The problem with bubbles are they can be known to split a lot too. I had a green one years ago that split more times than I could even count. Ended up a pest to be honest.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here’s the next question you can get BTA anywhere but does anyone know of places to get maxis? I’m looking online and it looks very scarce / not really anyone having them in stock?

if any in chicago area that’d be even bette!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at both the maxi mini and rock flower anemones, both are interesting small nems. A lot of lfs get them in near me, not sure about in the chicago area but you can always call up a couple of places and ask for stock and if they plan to get anymore in the future. Usually around $30-$40 each

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here’s the next question you can get BTA anywhere but does anyone know of places to get maxis? I’m looking online and it looks very scarce / not really anyone having them in stock?

if any in chicago area that’d be even bette!
AquaSD always has a ton

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’d avoid bta’s unless you have a plan with what to do with all the splits.

wolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mini maxi carpet is awesome, I got one for the price of a rock flower the other day, as the lfs just thought it was a rock flower. Rock flower nems are great as well, and do wonderful in small tanks. I have lord knows how many, ive long lost count.
how do you tell the difference between a rock flower and a mini maxi carpet?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you tell the difference between a rock flower and a mini maxi carpet?
The mini maxi is the green one, the other red ones are rock flowers

Attachments

• 48DF95F7-1F59-49D8-9D1D-A897198EC12A.jpeg
    48DF95F7-1F59-49D8-9D1D-A897198EC12A.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 25
  • DDC0EC2F-5DF8-4BC5-A808-692369CA7D9E.jpeg
    DDC0EC2F-5DF8-4BC5-A808-692369CA7D9E.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 23

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm considering getting a maxi mini for my 10g nano in my office.
Not exactly sure what I want to do in there yet, as far as coral.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I personally liked anemones in my tank more than corals. They move gracefully, they host clownfish and other creatures, and can be fed.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Of what size class? @F i s h y had nothing but problems with his carpets. Walking constantly until adding a few more inches of sand. Clay pots didn't do the trick there.
Tiny. 10g IM AIO.
I'm planning on a bunch of RFA and mushrooms on the bottom, but would really like something small that might possibly host my clowns.
No BTAs. I have a billion in my 3 other tanks.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back