Tony Vargas 300-Gallon Build

DeeFromBrooklyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic cover

Where did you get the clear acrylic? I always see black which blocks light penetration.

Dave From Brooklyn

TRex91

reef peeping,,, ya know
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought i saw you lived in florida now... If you are ever doing any lectures or anything our know of any events coming up where you or other purple will be lecturing please let me know.. I haven't had the chance to go to any events and would love too.. Also heard your books are going to be stopping .. Id that's the case you got any extra s you want to maybe sell?

Vw reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work on the screen covers. I like that you put acrylic at the ends of each side cover. Makes it easy to access the tank for anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Idea with the acrylic end caps Tony. It looks very professional and clean. So sorry for the loss of your wrasse.

Benson0219

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... very nice stand, sump, tank and light setup! I would love to see more pics of your sump. Very inspiring work!

OP
OP
Tony Vargas

Tony Vargas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally had the chance to do something about the rear glass panel. Some have asked what I would do with that rear panel, so I cut an FRP board to size and painted it black on one side. Easily removed if I get tired of the color or if I decide to change things up a little.

IMG_1953.jpg

dmac43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did something similar Tony, but since I have a standard 90 gallon, I purchased lens plexi for overhead lighting (6.00 at Home Depot) which is pretty much the same dimension (24' X 48") as the tank, and painted the back of it (smooth side). The thinking was the same, if I get tired of the dark blue I can just swap out the panels.
One caveat to using this plexi is that it comes in various patterns. I used a pebble pattern (facing the pebble side toward the glass), which when the moon lights are on, makes the background look black with red sparkles in it. I'll try to get a Pic of it.

Thank you again for chronicling your build as I has given me some good ideas about how things should be done, and made me think about how I can do things differently.

I finally had the chance to do something about the rear glass panel. Some have asked what I would do with that rear panel, so I cut an FRP board to size and painted it black on one side. Easily removed if I get tired of the color or if I decide to change things up a little.

IMG_1953.jpg

OP
OP
Tony Vargas

Tony Vargas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tony, I was great to meet you at macna. I love the screen covers. What are they made of?

The material for the Screen Covers were purchased at a home improvement store. Basically these are the parts you would need from your home improvement store, aluminum screen frames, plastic corners, spline, and a spline roller. The 1/2 inch translucent netting/mesh was purchased at BRS. Here is a close-up photo giving you a little more detail.

IMG_0246.jpg

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonys tank is coming along VERY nicely. A must see when in South Florida

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 166 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back