OP
P

PhilTheFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That picture was taken within 30-45 mins of his death. He was alive an hour earlier and when I came back he was dead. His scales and eyes looked just like that before his death. The photos I posted of him in his cave were less than two hours before his death and his scales and eyes looked like that as well. I took a close look at my clownfish when I was feeding her and I think I see a couple of white spots on her back dorsal fin. I'm going to try to get some photos.

Pics attached of white spots. I looked at photos of her from two days ago and they were not there. Is that Ich or can flukes cause that?

Attachments

• PXL_20240318_134808874.jpg
    PXL_20240318_134808874.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20240318_134813529.jpg
    PXL_20240318_134813529.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20240318_134818588.jpg
    PXL_20240318_134818588.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 11

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics attached of white spots. I looked at photos of her from two days ago and they were not there. Is that Ich or can flukes cause that?
I see the two white spots on the clowns dorsal fin, but I don’t think that is ich. You can confirm that - if the spots are still there after 3 days, it isn’t ich.

Clownfish don’t get flukes as commonly as royal gramma do, but they can get that.

No rapid breathing? If you post a video, I can evaluate that for you.

OP
OP
P

PhilTheFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the two white spots on the clowns dorsal fin, but I don’t think that is ich. You can confirm that - if the spots are still there after 3 days, it isn’t ich.

Clownfish don’t get flukes as commonly as royal gramma do, but they can get that.

No rapid breathing? If you post a video, I can evaluate that for you.

Any idea what they could be if it's not ich? I don't see any rapid breathing. She is still darting like she was in the last video but I haven't noticed any scratching against rocks or sand.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what they could be if it's not ich? I don't see any rapid breathing. She is still darting like she was in the last video but I haven't noticed any scratching against rocks or sand.
Could be broken fin rays. Fish get various blemishes, if it is ich, you’ll see the spots come and go, change location, and gradually increase in numbers.

OP
OP
P

PhilTheFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be broken fin rays. Fish get various blemishes, if it is ich, you’ll see the spots come and go, change location, and gradually increase in numbers.

Thanks for all the help Jay! After losing the RG yesterday I figured I was in for another death. I'll keep my fingers crossed that we're just dealing with a broken fin ray (had no idea that was a thing!).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help Jay! After losing the RG yesterday I figured I was in for another death. I'll keep my fingers crossed that we're just dealing with a broken fin ray (had no idea that was a thing!).

Just watch for the four main symptoms of issues in clownfish: not eating, rapid breathing, stringy poop and skin spots increasing.

OP
OP
P

PhilTheFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watch for the four main symptoms of issues in clownfish: not eating, rapid breathing, stringy poop and skin spots increasing.
Both clownfish are covered in white spots this morning. I don't have a quarantine tank. Looks like the only solution is to set one up? Can both be quarantined together or do I need two tanks? What's the smallest tank I can get away with?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both clownfish are covered in white spots this morning. I don't have a quarantine tank. Looks like the only solution is to set one up? Can both be quarantined together or do I need two tanks? What's the smallest tank I can get away with?

You can hold them in a 10 gallon tank, but you may need a divider to keep them from fighting in close quarters. You also need to manage the ammonia in a new tank like that. I prefer to use filter media from an established tank, but you can also use "bacteria in a bottle" products. Either way, you need to monitor the ammonia during the treatment and keep it under 0.25 ppm.

As far as treatments - I prefer coppersafe, but you can also try hyposalinity.

Jay

OP
OP
P

PhilTheFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can hold them in a 10 gallon tank, but you may need a divider to keep them from fighting in close quarters. You also need to manage the ammonia in a new tank like that. I prefer to use filter media from an established tank, but you can also use "bacteria in a bottle" products. Either way, you need to monitor the ammonia during the treatment and keep it under 0.25 ppm.

As far as treatments - I prefer coppersafe, but you can also try hyposalinity.

Jay
Can't seem to catch a break here. Trying to research setting up a hospital tank so I can go out and get what I need but now one of the clowns if floating at the top at a 45 degree angle breathing rapidly. Still thinking ich? I'm really at a loss here. I want to save these fish but I have no idea what I'm dealing with. The RG looked to have flukes, the clowns looked to have ich. Now I'm reading it might be brooks? I'm new to all this so I'm starting to feel some analysis paralysis.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back