Trick to catching fish in a aquarium/reef tank

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we've all had a situation where we needed to get a fish out either because of aggression, coral nipping or many other reasons. Trying to do this in a stocked reef tank in nearly impossible without tearing the entire tank down....

This idea is not new nor is it mine but it works like a charm. I needed to remove my bully yellow tang which proved impossible just trying to catch it.

The method is to use a net to feed the fish......the below video is only the 5th day trying this....I can now pull out any fish any time without stressing anyone.

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish trap.... Sat in front of my tank for 30mins before I caught a flame angel and red coris wrasse who ended up being problems in my tank.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. i dont quite see how you can remove him whenever you want, but if you think so...im happy for ya.

how will you catch YT, w/o all the other fish in the net? also, after the first or second time/attempt/success, do you think the fish will still eat out of the net??

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. i dont quite see how you can remove him whenever you want, but if you think so...im happy for ya.

how will you catch YT, w/o all the other fish in the net? also, after the first or second time/attempt/success, do you think the fish will still eat out of the net??

The point is, the fish are no longer scared of the net.....when I put the net in before the food, all the fish come to the net....when I do take him out I will update this post.......

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i get that, but do you think they will reacquire their fear, once you try to feed them and snatch them out? also, like you said, ALL the fish are in the net. how do you single out the YT?

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i get that, but do you think they will reacquire their fear, once you try to feed them and snatch them out? also, like you said, ALL the fish are in the net. how do you single out the YT?

I'll post a video when I do it....Because they are not afraid anymore, I can move it around and kick the ones I don't want out....and as long as I periodically feed them with it I don't think they will be afraid. Time will tell. This is an old trick that has worked well for a long time

dewboy1127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could take weeks for some people as some fish are more skiddish that others just to warn people .....i tried it with no success my fish are gone as soon as net comes out it would take mnths of prep to get this to work for me personally but i will say once fish are used to it you are good to go ive seen it several times

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could take weeks for some people as some fish are more skiddish that others just to warn people .....i tried it with no success my fish are gone as soon as net comes out it would take mnths of prep to get this to work for me personally but i will say once fish are used to it you are good to go ive seen it several times

I guess it depends but my fish were petrified at first but quickly got used to it.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty neat. They are all in the net! Definitely worked on your tangs. Probably works on most tangs or bold behaving fish.

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty neat. They are all in the net! Definitely worked on your tangs. Probably works on most tangs or bold behaving fish.

My chromis are not bold at all and they are all in there.....

TreyC2010

But baby, the fish need it....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it works great for your tank. I'd also be curious as to how the fish react once someone gets "taken". I used the bottle trick and put new food in it when others would eat it. Then after I finally took a fish out with it, they never trusted me again. Good luck with the yellow tang.

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got the yellow tang out. Sorry I don't have a video of the capture as it happened within about 2 seconds of pouring the food in the net. The fish were going in and out so I just lifted it up when it was only the YT in there. Now lets see if the fish go back in....I'll let y'all know.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back