Trick to catching fish in a aquarium/reef tank

Bowin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks....the red doesn't help at all lol....they see it a mile away
Or maybe they don't see the red netting but instead they see the black handle and rim that it's connected to? I don't know anything about fish eyesight but just a thought. Thanks for sharing this trick sir.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or maybe they don't see the red netting but instead they see the black handle and rim that it's connected to? I don't know anything about fish eyesight but just a thought. Thanks for sharing this trick sir.

Not seeing a colour doesn't make things that colour disappear. They still see the net, even if you believe they can't see red but its likely to look black. Its the same with things deeper in the ocean where red is absent, here cleaner shrimp look black and white.

alohadood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lurk and hardly ever post, let alone log in. I have been reefing for about 20 years now.

I logged in to post, that I fancy myself a pretty smart guy, and in all my years reefing I have NEVER thought of this. I have had to pull down many many tanks to catch one dang damsel or a six line or what not. You sir are a saint and a gentleman for sharing this.

I will be employing this to move two bullies damsels this weekend. thank you. Seriously from the bottom of my coralcrusted heart. you have saved me hours.

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lurk and hardly ever post, let alone log in. I have been reefing for about 20 years now.

I logged in to post, that I fancy myself a pretty smart guy, and in all my years reefing I have NEVER thought of this. I have had to pull down many many tanks to catch one **** damsel or a six line or what not. You sir are a saint and a gentleman for sharing this.

I will be employing this to move two bullies damsels this weekend. thank you. Seriously from the bottom of my coralcrusted heart. you have saved me hours.

Happy to help:)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I logged in to post, that I fancy myself a pretty smart guy, and in all my years reefing I have NEVER thought of this. I have had to pull down many many tanks to catch one **** damsel or a six line or what not. You sir are a saint and a gentleman for sharing this.

Glad you did log in and post!

ddgtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoelace, thanks for posting this, it's awesome!

Can you elaborate a bit about how you first started? Did you put the food in the net then lowered the net in? If they did not come the first time, did you then pour the food in or took it out and tried again the next day?

Thanks!!

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoelace, thanks for posting this, it's awesome!

Can you elaborate a bit about how you first started? Did you put the food in the net then lowered the net in? If they did not come the first time, did you then pour the food in or took it out and tried again the next day?

Thanks!!

Thank you. The way i did it I would put the net in first and then pour the shrimp into it. The first day everyone stayed away, by the second time some fish were going near it trying to get some shrimp that was flying out of the net....by day 5 I had all my fish exept the hippo going in a eating comfortably. I could even move it around and it didn't seem to faze them......

ddgtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again! I have a sailfin who is starting to bully my clowns, I'm contemplating catching him... Did your hippo ever go in the net to eat?

Being able to catch a fish in a reef tank without messing up the aquascape, corals and stressing out the rest of the fish is one of the most important things to learn to do, in my opinion... jj

LOL, I still can't get over how cute they look chilling in the net, pigging out...

Chris Mc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try this for my Red Coris Wrasse. He is killing my cleaning crew and flipping over my Lobo's. I find him to be beautiful but he has become quite a pain. I want to replace him with a Lineatus.

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again! I have a sailfin who is starting to bully my clowns, I'm contemplating catching him... Did your hippo ever go in the net to eat?

Being able to catch a fish in a reef tank without messing up the aquascape, corals and stressing out the rest of the fish is one of the most important things to learn to do, in my opinion... jj

LOL, I still can't get over how cute they look chilling in the net, pigging out...

Sure! I haven't tried again since the day of the video...I really should do it every now and then to keep them used to it....if I continue, I'm sure he'll come around....I'll let you know

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try this for my Red Coris Wrasse. He is killing my cleaning crew and flipping over my Lobo's. I find him to be beautiful but he has become quite a pain. I want to replace him with a Lineatus.

If he comes up to eat it should be very easy

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have used this a few months ago trying to get a Foxface out. Ended up doing a lot of "fragging" in the process, and I don't have a frag tank!!! Great idea and thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just put the yellow tang back in. Hopefully he's less aggressive this time. If not I hope he didn't figure out the net trick.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great trick! I know you said it wasn't your idea but found another video on YouTube a few years old showing the same thing. Point is many skeptical comments there too. I don't get that. Thanks for posting this.

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed my newly introduced copperband picking at some coral....I had gotten him for aptasia which he quickly took care of.

I had only tried the net thing with him once or twice but he never came in.....it took me about 10 minutes but I caught him! I think because all the other fish were not scared of the net he wasn't as scared....I actually caught him once and he got stuck but somehow got away but I caught him again!

I was really worried I would never be able to catch him and he would all my corals...

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back