Pictures of my new reactor

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice idea D.
Had not really thought about the leftover Co2 in the water.

Hey another thought maybe you can get Todd to come back to the forum I like his facebook posts but lots of people love his thread on R2R and haven't seen any updates sense what was it 2014

Are you going to MACNA? I'm going to call Todd and see if wants to go.

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking awesome great job!

OP
OP
trido

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice idea D.
Had not really thought about the leftover Co2 in the water.

Hey another thought maybe you can get Todd to come back to the forum I like his facebook posts but lots of people love his thread on R2R and haven't seen any updates sense what was it 2014

Are you going to MACNA? I'm going to call Todd and see if wants to go.

I mention the forum but he's stubborn. Being a mod left a sour taste in his mouth. I'm going to try to go to MACNA this year.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mention the forum but he's stubborn. Being a mod left a sour taste in his mouth. I'm going to try to go to MACNA this year.
I hear ya.

I figured LV wouldn't be a bad flight from your state. We have great rates from here as well.
I'm going to see if there are any resorts that take my DVC points so I can save some cash.
Most people say staying at the base resort where MACNA is hosted is the easiest.

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. I've upgraded the old DIY stunner strips to Reefbrite strips.

What’s lights are the and how can I recreate this? What settings do you run them at? I wanna recreate this EXACT lighting setup as it’s the color I strive for

OP
OP
trido

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s lights are the and how can I recreate this? What settings do you run them at? I wanna recreate this EXACT lighting setup as it’s the color I strive for
Unless you are good at soldering, you cant. I bought the e-bay black boxes and immediately changed the spectrum to meet my liking. I use from 16-18 white emitters of different spectrum (some warm white, some 10K) , then one red and one green emitter with no optics, and to finish, a blend of RB, baby blue and four UV emitters to finish it off. Colors are more based off of clean water and stability. In fact, I would love Radions or other more expensive lights, but my budget does not allow this. As mentioned in the video, I rebuild them every two years. Also, I run the blue at 100% and white at 80%. (10 1/2 hours) There are also Reefbrite strips (13 hours) and T-5's Actinic+ (5 hours)

Last edited:

Albertan_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, did you notice a difference in growth from modifying to emitters? If so, we you mind if I send you a PM to discuss it? I’m more then capable of soldering and was wanting to dissect my black boxes any ways.

OP
OP
trido

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the chaeto reactor working for you? What does I think leave your no3 and po4 at?
I haven't tested NO3 or PO4 in many years. Its was always undetectable so I gave up. I know there is PO4 in the system because algae pops up in the sump, on frag plugs and under large colonies. I dont like Phosban or any other GFO products and some times use Phosphate Rx recommended by @melev It's just a good idea to have some sort of nutrient export on all fronts. The Chaeto reactor didnt work out too well because (with the addition of the Neptune flow meter) I found out I was ounly running 30GPH through it which is not enough to grow much of anything. Last weekend I built a quick DIY Algea scrubber, added the carbon output for 60GPH and it is already growing a brown slime algae.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 55 32.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back