Trigger sump & trigger ATO container

Irishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do most people put their top off line? Do they have it going into the sump or feeding up top to the tank?

I have a trigger sump and, currently, a 15 gallon tall water barrel that I have for RO/DI water. For now, I have to put the return line up to the tank so the barrel doesn't keep gravity feeding the sump where both water lines equalize.

I did purchase a Trigger ATO container and pretty sure I'll have the same issue with the water lines trying to equalize. How do people get around this so their top off line isn't going up to the tank?

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just gravity fed? it goes through the float switch then. If not the pump should not start a syphon

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have your reservoir on a shelf or something then gravity siphoning shouldn't be much of an issue. If you're really worried, though, make sure the line is positioned well above the water's normal top off point (whether in the sump or tank), your sump is big enough to accommodate full amount of your reservoir, and you have at least 2 or 3 redundancies to shut off the ATO system. To an extend it'll depend on exactly how the ATO functions, as well. I personally use a line to my sump with the reservoir directly adjacent and haven't had any issues and I keep the line ~5 inches above the shut off switches.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine going into the fuge section of the sump. If you have it going to the tank your going to get big salinity swings. There will be water continuously flowing until the new water registers with the ato sensor all the way down in the the sump. When my ato goes on it adds like a 1/4 cup of water at a time, small amounts keeping the salinity exactly the same all the time.

OP
OP
Irishman

Irishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've attached my pic of my top off system. I have the Tunze ATO. I did have my feed line from the top off container going up to the stand and then back down into the sump. Where I am running into a problem is that the water level height is higher in my container than the sump water level. So when my ATO starts, the water level hits the sensor then the pump stops, however the water keeps draining into the sump because its tyring to equal out the water level since the top off line is below the water level in the container.

ATO Container.jpg

OP
OP
Irishman

Irishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have your reservoir on a shelf or something then gravity siphoning shouldn't be much of an issue. If you're really worried, though, make sure the line is positioned well above the water's normal top off point (whether in the sump or tank), your sump is big enough to accommodate full amount of your reservoir, and you have at least 2 or 3 redundancies to shut off the ATO system. To an extend it'll depend on exactly how the ATO functions, as well. I personally use a line to my sump with the reservoir directly adjacent and haven't had any issues and I keep the line ~5 inches above the shut off switches.

What type of ATO container do you have? I want to use the trigger ATO container I have but am kinda concerned about the water level wanting to equalize to match the sump if the pump goes off.

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is plumbed in where the return pump is and is above the water line so it cant siphon. All my probes are before that so I don't have to worry about reading being off. Mine does not add a ton at once so it stays very stable. I use a 5 gallon bucket now and once I find a way to pump water over to the 5 gallon bucket I wont have to lug it over there anymore. :)

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of ATO container do you have?

I use a section of a dosing container for TO water, so it's pretty short, even though it's about even with the sump level. That said, it looks like your best bet (with such a tall container) would be a siphon break:
  • Pinhole in the line, preferably inside the barrel, but above water line. Technically should be at the tube's highest point, but it can spray - regardless it'll stop the vacuum effect
  • Similarly to above, make a full-on T-split inside the barrel - it'll take longer for the pump to fill to the sump's level, but break the siphon instantly once the pump shuts off
  • Vacuum breaker valve - this'd be a solenoid, and would need to be controlled alongside the ATO; not easy to do, but possible
  • Attach the end of the line above the barrel, basically "raining down" on the sump. Again very prone to splashes, but no mods to the tube needed
There's certainly other options that I'm unaware of, but off hand that's what I can think of - hope it helps!

Reefnoobz90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a peristaltic pump, no issues with syphon but mines pulling from the basement so I can justify the cost

OP
OP
Irishman

Irishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a section of a dosing container for TO water, so it's pretty short, even though it's about even with the sump level. That said, it looks like your best bet (with such a tall container) would be a siphon break:
  • Pinhole in the line, preferably inside the barrel, but above water line. Technically should be at the tube's highest point, but it can spray - regardless it'll stop the vacuum effect
  • Similarly to above, make a full-on T-split inside the barrel - it'll take longer for the pump to fill to the sump's level, but break the siphon instantly once the pump shuts off
  • Vacuum breaker valve - this'd be a solenoid, and would need to be controlled alongside the ATO; not easy to do, but possible
  • Attach the end of the line above the barrel, basically "raining down" on the sump. Again very prone to splashes, but no mods to the tube needed
There's certainly other options that I'm unaware of, but off hand that's what I can think of - hope it helps!

That does help a lot! I'll fiddle around with your ideas. How I fixed this issue last time was have a piece of PVC sticking out of the sump and keeping the end of the TO line above the water level in the TO container, just didn't want to do it this build and keep it cleaner looking.

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does help a lot! I'll fiddle around with your ideas. How I fixed this issue last time was have a piece of PVC sticking out of the sump and keeping the end of the TO line above the water level in the TO container, just didn't want to do it this build and keep it cleaner looking.

Glad to help! The line hole would definitely be your best bet in that case. You can google "siphon break" and similar terms to find a bunch of stuff, I'm sure. As I mentioned, lots of ideas floating out there. The hole one is the same concept as the Durso overflow, if you're curious.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 45.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 31 32.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back