Tropic marin vs brs vs ES-V two part?

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been dosing aquaforest dry two part and it has gone up in price and I just can't seem to make it worth it. I dose so much and heard these companies are more concentrated. So I wanted to ask what you guys think the best option is or what everyone uses or trusts more etc...
I've used brs two part with success before I lost everything to a jebao dosing pump

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whichever is cheaper. ESV is nice as it compensates for the addition of salt that happens when dosing. You can fix this by using a 3rd part (tropic marin c) on the other two.

Last edited:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BRS 2 part with Tropic Marin part C for me. I am currently running a 50/50 mix of soda ash and bicarbonate for my alkalinity. Helps keep the pH below 8.4 to 8.45 by mixing in some bicarbonate.

Then I also run the Reef Moonshiners method for trace elements.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic marin's is expensive compared to the brs and both are pharma grade so I personally would say do either BRS (with tropic marin C possibly) or ESV. I personally would do ESV so I could stick with 2 bottles.

OP
OP
VanDalsenReef

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS 2 part with Tropic Marin part C for me. I am currently running a 50/50 mix of soda ash and bicarbonate for my alkalinity. Helps keep the pH below 8.4 to 8.45 by mixing in some bicarbonate.

Then I also run the Reef Moonshiners method for trace elements.
Do you dose the third part by doser?

OP
OP
VanDalsenReef

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic marin's is expensive compared to the brs and both are pharma grade so I personally would say do either BRS (with tropic marin C possibly) or ESV. I personally would do ESV so I could stick with 2 bottles.
does esv need trace elements?

OP
OP
VanDalsenReef

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is something you are wanting, you could always try an all in one dosing liquid (all for reef is the most popular).
I've looked into all for Reef. I'd just have to dose so much. I'm up to 100ml a Day for my two part as of now

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love ESV 2-part. It is concentrated. I dose a tiny amount daily in my nano. About 1.5ml if I remember correctly. My consumption dropped significantly after I lost all my sps after my tank move. In AF I want to say that is about 10ml. LOVE IT!
A5AE02AE-3470-42B7-A33B-44C71022DBDE.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ESV B-Ionic does include trace elements based on manufacturer info: https://www.esvaquarium.com/. Also I recall seeing them listed on the contents of my buckets when I used to dose ESV (now BRS hybrid).

It isn't trace element dosing. They are there to offset rising salinity that occurs during two part dosing.

Here is a section from the above

One issue that has confused some reef keepers, however, is the presence of trace elements. Assuming that these products are actually formulated with every ion such that a true natural seawater residue remained (let’s call this the “ideal” product), then it will necessarily contain such ions as copper. Since copper is elevated in some reef tanks, and is toxic to many invertebrates, reef keepers have wrongly criticized this method as adding more copper. That’s actually not what would happen. Since these products leave a natural seawater residue, and since copper may be elevated in concentration in many reef tanks relative to seawater, then using these “ideal” products will actually LOWER copper levels because when the increase in salinity is corrected, the copper will drop.

For example:

You have copper in your aquarium at 4 ppb and salinity of S=35.

You add a two part additive that over the course of a month raises salinity to S=36, and raises copper to 4.02 ppb.

Then you correct the salinity back to S=35 by diluting everything in the tank with fresh water, and you get a final copper concentration of 3.9 ppb.

Does this happen in real products and not “ideal” products? I have no idea. But the statement by manufacturers that it contains all ions in natural ratios, including copper, should not be viewed as a concern that it is exacerbating a heavy metal problem.

The rise in salinity of these products over time can be very roughly calculated, though there are several reasons why this calculation is only an estimate. For every 1000 meq of alkalinity added in this fashion (and the matching amount of calcium) these products will deliver on the order of 60 grams of other ions to the tank. In a tank with a low calcification demand (defined later to be 18.3 thousand meq of alkalinity per year in a 100 gallon tank (0.4 dKH/day)) this effect will raise the salinity by 3 ppt per year (compared to a normal salinity of S ~35). In a high demand tank (defined later to be 219 thousand meq of alkalinity per year in a 100 gallon tank (4.4 dKH/day)), the salinity will rise by 35 ppt in a year, or approximately doubling the salinity. Consequently, the salinity should be monitored closely in using these types of additives, especially in a tank with high calcification rates.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far brs 2 part (Randy's original recipe!) is the cleanest cheapest option that does the necessaries. I spend the extra money on other things, I rather mix my own 2 part and save the shipping cost of water, its easier to hold onto dry products and mix at my leisure, rather than running a bottle out hoping I can get more, I make water why not mix 2 part also.

EricGRIT09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It isn't trace element dosing. They are there to offset rising salinity that occurs during two part dosing.

Here is a section from the above

One issue that has confused some reef keepers, however, is the presence of trace elements. Assuming that these products are actually formulated with every ion such that a true natural seawater residue remained (let’s call this the “ideal” product), then it will necessarily contain such ions as copper. Since copper is elevated in some reef tanks, and is toxic to many invertebrates, reef keepers have wrongly criticized this method as adding more copper. That’s actually not what would happen. Since these products leave a natural seawater residue, and since copper may be elevated in concentration in many reef tanks relative to seawater, then using these “ideal” products will actually LOWER copper levels because when the increase in salinity is corrected, the copper will drop.

For example:

You have copper in your aquarium at 4 ppb and salinity of S=35.

You add a two part additive that over the course of a month raises salinity to S=36, and raises copper to 4.02 ppb.

Then you correct the salinity back to S=35 by diluting everything in the tank with fresh water, and you get a final copper concentration of 3.9 ppb.

Does this happen in real products and not “ideal” products? I have no idea. But the statement by manufacturers that it contains all ions in natural ratios, including copper, should not be viewed as a concern that it is exacerbating a heavy metal problem.

The rise in salinity of these products over time can be very roughly calculated, though there are several reasons why this calculation is only an estimate. For every 1000 meq of alkalinity added in this fashion (and the matching amount of calcium) these products will deliver on the order of 60 grams of other ions to the tank. In a tank with a low calcification demand (defined later to be 18.3 thousand meq of alkalinity per year in a 100 gallon tank (0.4 dKH/day)) this effect will raise the salinity by 3 ppt per year (compared to a normal salinity of S ~35). In a high demand tank (defined later to be 219 thousand meq of alkalinity per year in a 100 gallon tank (4.4 dKH/day)), the salinity will rise by 35 ppt in a year, or approximately doubling the salinity. Consequently, the salinity should be monitored closely in using these types of additives, especially in a tank with high calcification rates.
I suppose there could be a question/debate around the definition of “dosing” but the claim was that none of the listed products contained trace elements. ESV does include major, minor and trace elements according to the manufacturer.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ESV 2 part. Been running it for 7 years now.
I run it on my 45 frag system and may 20g nano cube.
I ran it when I started my 120 for a year before going to a CARX.
I dose once a day by hand.
I also run DSR EZ trace on all systems dosed by hand once a day.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 29 15.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 22.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 111 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back